Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any Eldercare Forum Web Sites That You'd Recommend?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any Eldercare Forum Web Sites That You'd Recommend?

I am in the process of getting my Dad out of a nursing home, where he did a two-week stint in physical therapy after a bout with pneumonia and an irregular heartbeat. He's 80, as is my Mom.

Mom, however, has dementia and/or Alzheimer's. (Medical diagnosis pending.) So she is relatively worthless in assisting with domestic chores at their home. She just walks around confused and a bit scared, poor thing.

I am reviewing old Powers of Attorney and Healthcare Powers of Attorney, the Wills, and am otherwise getting ready to take over managing their modest-but-not-hopeless finances. (I'd guess $500K net worth, which a nursing home could/will eat up in a heartbeat.)

I have gotten tons of terrific guidance on this forum. Can any of you folks recommend a site that (hopefully) rivals this one, but that deals with aging parents?

I am going to ask my SO to push me down a flight of stairs when I get dotty. A long, long flight of stairs....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I am in the process of getting my Dad out of a nursing home, where he did a two-week stint in physical therapy after a bout with pneumonia and an irregular heartbeat. He's 80, as is my Mom.

Mom, however, has dementia and/or Alzheimer's. (Medical diagnosis pending.) So she is relatively worthless in assisting with domestic chores at their home. She just walks around confused and a bit scared, poor thing.

I am reviewing old Powers of Attorney and Healthcare Powers of Attorney, the Wills, and am otherwise getting ready to take over managing their modest-but-not-hopeless finances. (I'd guess $500K net worth, which a nursing home could/will eat up in a heartbeat.)

I have gotten tons of terrific guidance on this forum. Can any of you folks recommend a site that (hopefully) rivals this one, but that deals with aging parents?

I am going to ask my SO to push me down a flight of stairs when I get dotty. A long, long flight of stairs....

I sent you a PM.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I sent you a PM.

If you share with the rest of us, we can all learn and some others may benefit as well.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #4

If you haven't already (and it sounds like you may have) go see an elderlaw attorney. We did with FIL and the advice, while expensive, was well worth it. Saved us much gnashing of teeth and some of his estate.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been down this road with my Mom and now with my FIL. I suggest an elder lawyer and, if finances permit, assisted living for both. Many of us want to help our parents by having them move in with us. I don't recommend that option as it will quickly deteriorate your life. My mother had Alzheimer and it took an army to care for her.

We all do our best with this situation and not every solution will be a cookie cutter one.
The elder lawyer will assist you in sheltering some of their income. I should have hired one sooner. I'm so sorry that you're facing this situation, but know that you're not alone. Feel free to PM me anytime.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
The following isn't specifically an aging parents website, but rather an Alzheimers/Dementia forum and website:

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would be very interested too. My 85 year old Dad has all his mental and communicative faculties, but physically feeble. His walking is slower and slower (very slow now) and I don't know how much longer he can drive. He lives alone, has a house cleaner, but no other help. He'll have to move to assisted living at some point in the near future.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

Mo Money....I would speak to the social workers before your Dad is discharged from the SNF about any services your parents might need at home (I'm presuming they still live independently). They can be an excellent resource and referral source. They are well-versed in making safe discharge recommendations if you make them aware of any concerns.

Also, if your Dad gets any Medicare nurses, physical therapy or social workers coming to their home short-term upon discharge, they might have suggestions about adaptive modalities, lists of private pay agencies/individuals and other community resources. I think a first responder necklace/bracelet/system should be considered.

You might also get some materials or an in home evaluation from your parent's Area Agency on Aging. Here in PA they are funded by the PA Lottery. I believe Faith in Action (a United Way agency) has volunteers who can provide a little respite, transportation to doctors on occasion, shopping, etc. also.

I don't know if your Mom would be amenable to attending an adult day program a day or two a week. She might benefit from some of the rehabilitative therapies available in a secure and supportive environment and also get some peer socialization outside the home. It would also give your Dad some time to go to doctors appointments or just rest at home.

You might also start evaluating possible future assisted living accommodations for your parents. It is best to do this while not in crisis mode and you can get some idea if wait lists are involved. Some places have different levels of care on one campus. I am "only" 61 but I have in the back of my mind a couple of places near me that I would consider for myself if something untoward would befall me.

Best wishes.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If you share with the rest of us, we can all learn and some others may benefit as well.

It is the Caregiving forum under General Forums on the City Data site.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I once found a website that had cost info for some of the locations but don't have that bookmark anymore. This article might give you a starting point.
If they can get in a apartment together so he can guide your Mom but still have help for his needs. Once they do a buy in,maybe from home equity, the monthly costs should be met by social security and a SFRfor their age.
http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2...wildered/?_r=0
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for your input. This is a greate place to get advice.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #12

Each year, as open enrollment approaches, work with a state health insurance counselor (SHIP) to determine the best prescription plan for your folks. The counselor needs a list of medications and dosages, and the name of the pharmacy.

Just because the current plan is good for this year, does not mean it will be a good choice for the next year.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:36 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
It is the Caregiving forum under General Forums on the City Data site.
Thanks.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another thread of gold. Many thanks to alk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app