Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I worked at a sewage treatment facility for over 30 years....I've seen it all. I've stood next to septic pumper trucks, talking to the drivers, and eating lunch, while they emptied their loads.....no problems! It's just poo! And where they dumped at the facility, it was more or less an open pit....no hose connections to fumble with. They'd just hooked up a short hose to their tank, tossed the loose end in the general direction of the pit, and crank open the valve....1000-1500 gallons of honey dumped in about 3-4 minutes.

Plus there were also all of my subterranean adventures.....down in the bowels of the city.....nothin' quite like an Ed Norton excursion through the sewers......"Splish, splash I was takin' a bath....."

So actually having the hose connected to, or stuck in a dump station should be absolutely no problem, and very little opportunity for the 'gag factor' to take effect....I mean, hey, it's only family poo....not like a septic pumper who's hauling stranger's poo!

And like RonBoyd said:
Quote:
1. "Stuff" always flows downhill.
2. Paydays are Friday
3. Never, ever lick your fingers.
Especially #3!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So remind me again why people RV?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
So remind me again why people RV?
Because we're the type of people who can remember to never, ever lick our fingers...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

But, but, but hoses always tend to be drippy, and they have to be stowed.

And yes, I have seen the movie.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but hoses always tend to be drippy
Au Contraire. That I've never had happen. Seriously. The Roadtrek waste water system is truly no muss, no fuss. I suppose one could make a mess but you would have to really work at it... not put the hose in the hole, for instance. And I have never noticed an odor, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
and they have to be stowed.
Well, yeah. However, if you do it properly -- as mentioned, dump the nasty water first and the soapy water last -- you are storing a hose that is actually quite clean. There is, of course, a special place to store the hose designed just for that and I suggest it be utilized... I wouldn't store the hose under the bed, for instance.

Or... if it it bothers you so much, you could just not use the toilet. I am not being facetious because there any number of RV owners who have never used their potty. And an even greater number who only allow liquid waste -- no #2.

The main thing is you get to sleep in your own bed every night and cook your own meals (the option is yours) and therein lies the beauty of RVing. Oh! And you can go where you want to go, in your own time frame.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The main thing is you get to sleep in your own bed every night and cook your own meals (the option is yours) and therein lies the beauty of RVing. Oh! And you can go where you want to go, in your own time frame.
Yeah, there really are a lot of pleasures to camping - sanitation stories and jokes notwithstanding.

Case in point: next week we are taking a quick 4 day trip to a beachside campground (literally maybe 100 feet to the Gulf). We'll sleep in our trailer which will be clean and comfortable. We'll likely meet new neighbors, sip wine, read on the beach with temps in the high 70s, catch the news and weather on TV, sleep in, catch a nap beneath the pine trees. Total cost: $100 including most food.

I'll have to spend 5 minutes draining the tanks before we leave for home.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I'll have to spend 5 minutes draining the tanks before we leave for home.
OK, but when you're done satisfying the Mrs, don't forget to stop by the dump station on the way out of the park.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #28
Administrator

Ewww. I can guarantee you that I will NEVER buy an RV. Never, never, never.

I will always choose a home with city water and sewer, and will never deal with a septic system. I am too much of a city girl for that. I want to simply depress the handle of my toilet and forget about it!

Basically,
  • I have worked hard all of my life,
  • I am too old to change, and
  • I deserve to not have to deal with poo if I don't want to.
YMMV and obviously does!! But as for me, I APPRECIATE the conveniences of living in 2009 as opposed to the Dark Ages or even the time of my great grandparents.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
... I want to simply depress the handle of my toilet and forget about it! ... YMMV and obviously does!! But as for me, I APPRECIATE the conveniences of living in 2009 as opposed to the Dark Ages or even the time of my great grandparents.
Yeah, DW used to feel the same way -- "they don't have 'room service'." She no longer harbors those thoughts since actually living in one. Of course, she only has to "flush and forget" -- she makes up the bed, I dump the tanks... a fair division of labor -- so it might not be a fair comparison.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Ewww. I can guarantee you that I will NEVER buy an RV. Never, never, never....YMMV and obviously does!! But as for me, I APPRECIATE the conveniences of living in 2009 as opposed to the Dark Ages or even the time of my great grandparents.
No, I don't think it would be a good fit for you .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
No, I don't think it would be a good fit for you .
You're right!! On the other hand, if Frank ever decided to buy an RV (and do all the messing with poo himself, like RonBoyd does for his wife), I suppose I would ride along. I seriously doubt he would do that, but you never know.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I'm a city boy and I was surprised how much I like RVing.

I'm wondering what a psychotherapist would say about those who have an aversion to draining the tanks - poor potty training; an inability for close personal interactions, annal retentive personalities?

If you really want to worry about germs and such watch people at RV parks - not washing hands after using the toilet; not washing hands after dumping the tanks. I use rubber gloves when dumping the tanks, tend to wash my hand more often at RV parks than I do at home and keep my hands away from my face.

Most if not all RV parks provide toilets, showers and a place to wash dishes. State and Federal RV parks facilities can vary from the norm. So, you don't have to use the RV's facilities if you don't want to and never have to drain the tanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I'm a city boy and I was surprised how much I like RVing.

I'm wondering what a psychotherapist would say about those who have an aversion to draining the tanks - poor potty training; an inability for close personal interactions, annal retentive personalities?
Probably all of the above! In my case, it's just a distaste for feces born from having changed every (cloth) diaper my infant needed changed, washing them, and so on. I don't ever want to deal with poo again.

Quote:
Most if not all RV parks provide toilets, showers and a place to wash dishes. State and Federal RV parks facilities can vary from the norm. So, you don't have to use the RV's facilities if you don't want to.
That would work, for me, as long as I didn't have to wander through snowdrifts to get to the RV park toilet only to find it wasn't working.

I went to summer camp in Vermont as a child, and the restrooms were connected with septic tanks. No problem, though I never had to deal with the septic tanks. The camp counselors did all that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

TMI
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
TMI
Sorry!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm... Such a fuss over dumping a tiny little sanitary tank.

I'm surprised Nords hasn't chimed in about dumping sanitaries on the ocean-going RVs of the submarine force. "Venting sanitaries inboard!" KaWHOOSH!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I'm surprised Nords hasn't chimed in about dumping sanitaries on the ocean-going RVs of the submarine force. "Venting sanitaries inboard!" KaWHOOSH!
Sure he did. Follow this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Eh, generally the worst thing about dumping the tanks is that there is sometimes a line for the dumping stations on Sundays in the summer. Other than that, the average diaper is far, far worse. And I could probably bathe in the black tank effluent and be less exposed to "stuff" than when I dealt with one particular diaper-related incident that I will very kindly not detail here...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Hmmm... Such a fuss over dumping a tiny little sanitary tank.
I wonder what a psychotherapist would say about those who have a fascination with the operation, mis-operation, maintenance, and repair of sanitary tanks.

It's probably the #1 topic of discussion on submariner boards. And every sea story starts with the phrase "This is a no-sh!tter" when of course they're full of it...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I wonder what a psychotherapist would say about those who have a fascination with the operation, mis-operation, maintenance, and repair of sanitary tanks.

It's probably the #1 topic of discussion on submariner boards. And every sea story starts with the phrase "This is a no-sh!tter" when of course they're full of it...

Sooooo - I guess there is no need to bring back tales of the home made disposal system for the fish camp in the Louisiana swamp. eh?

It's not bragging when you had the highest growing swamp cane for miles around.

Right?

heh heh heh - in the city now - no fish camp, no RV, no stories. .