Any hobby farmers out there?

I also have many things that I really enjoy to do on the farm. I keep my orchard looking like a golf course so I mow a lot. And I also don't mind spraying with my air blast sprayer. However with 2250 trees I have had to do a lot of pruning and thinning. And after 500 or 600 trees that gets old. And to make it worse it really needs to get done within a defined time frame. Besides that I really don't have to work any long days. I am hoping that next year I will be able to hire some help for pruning.
The weather is the most frustrating part. I never paid much attention to weather before I started the orchard. Also, I can't believe how bad they are at forecasting the weather. You can watch the weather, but if you planned your day around their forecasts you would never get anything done. The worst thing about the weather is you have absolutely no control over it. In the fruit business you are one wind storm, frost, drought, hail storm, or flood away from disaster. Sometimes you get lucky and only experience limited versions of these calamities. (I forgot to mention insect infestations)
Anyway, to me it is still way better then working for a big corporation.

I have 10 acres. Built a house here about 8 years ago. I have about 100 chickens, a small garden, a few citrus trees. All fenced in pasture for a few horses, my dogs, and a couple of steers each year. I do make money with selling organic free range eggs. In fact I can't keep up with demand, but I really dont want to get more than what I have. Im able to grow some kind of vegetables 12 months out of the year. In fact one year I picked tomatoes on Christmas day.

I still work a part time job, but its very close by and flexible. I dont have any urges to travel; if I did, it would be very difficult. Its sort of a vacation here every day, always something fun to do. I spend a lot of time on the mower, but I really enjoy it. The farm is a lot of work, but I guess that depends on your definition of work or enjoyment. I really can't wait until I can retire fully and just stay home and "play".

All that being said, Im glad I didnt decide to buy more land at the time I bought this. I think I can handle this 10 acres for a long time, health willing. Any more would be a struggle. Across the street from me is a 200 acre cattle farm, the owner is over 80 years old, and he's out there every day moving cattle, or mowing on his big old tractor. My other neighbor is also in his 80's. He has 10 acres of hay, and it often outside mowing, or cutting up tree branches that have fallen. Thats one wonderful thing about living here, is that theres no wasted days. Every day you can get outside and do something.

That sounds like heaven. Throw in a little hunting and fishing and who needs a "vacation"?

Thought about it but have switched gears to learning how to forage in the Fed/State land that I am surrounded by. Lots of cool books and learning experiences to follow in mother natures garden. Especially considering no maintenance!!!!

We have an old potato farm...70 acres... about 50 cropland and 20 woodland...a small house and garage..small pond and boarders a stream in back.

Back
Top Bottom