Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i dont think richmond or wilmington have enough population for us...i could be wrong? i really need to draw from 2 mil people in at most a 8k sq mi area, with me in the middle!

nashville does, but dw says that ocean is actually higher up the list than i thought...as in...if we're really gonna do this, we bette rbe by the damned ocean! so that's out!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
i dont think richmond or wilmington have enough population for us...i could be wrong? i really need to draw from 2 mil people in at most a 8k sq mi area, with me in the middle!

nashville does, but dw says that ocean is actually higher up the list than i thought...as in...if we're really gonna do this, we bette rbe by the damned ocean! so that's out!
I think Raleigh Durham is a bit over 1.5 million. Add in greensboro and communities in between and you got your 2 million.

Richmond is a little smaller than just Raleigh/Durham. Wilmington is waay smaller than 2 million.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #43

Just a word from the end of I-40... bought a place at the beach in '01 and FIRE'D in '05. Wilmington is nice, no where near the pop. of Raleigh. Funny, I've been here almost 10 years and never visited Raleigh. We seldom travel, we must be in heaven, man.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #44
Administrator

Population of Wilmington, NC is 99,738 according to the US Census 2006-2008 estimate. That is a very nice sized town in my opinion - - not so large as to have big city problems, but large enough to have shopping, medical facilities, and some things to do.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Population of Wilmington, NC is 99,738 according to the US Census 2006-2008 estimate. That is a very nice sized town in my opinion - - not so large as to have big city problems, but large enough to have shopping, medical facilities, and some things to do.
New Hanover County (which contains Wilmington and a bunch of other adjacent small cities/towns) is roughly 200,000. Add in some population from neighboring Pender and Brunswick counties, and you're probably pushing 250,000+ in the Wilmington metro area.

They still have their share of big city problems - crime, traffic, traffic, traffic.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Another possibility that's farther inland: I have friends with grade school children who moved to Charlotte, NC a few years ago.

Per wikipedia: The Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury Combined Statistical Area (CSA)[4] is a regional population area including parts of North Carolina and South Carolina with a 2008 population of 2,574,787.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
New Hanover County (which contains Wilmington and a bunch of other adjacent small cities/towns) is roughly 200,000. Add in some population from neighboring Pender and Brunswick counties, and you're probably pushing 250,000+ in the Wilmington metro area.

They still have their share of big city problems - crime, traffic, traffic, traffic.
Ah!! I see. That could present a different picture. Thanks for the real life observations.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Is the "2 million" criteria a make/break? I'd think there would be a customer profile for the typical person buying duct cleaning--I gotta think you see more $200k+ homes than <$125K homes. Competition would also be a big factor--if there are a lot of duct cleaning businesses barely scraping by in a particular town at the same price point/business model you've been working, that would be a lot more important than the size of the town. Could it not be better to move into a smaller town with less competition and where you'd have better pricing power?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Is the "2 million" criteria a make/break? I'd think there would be a customer profile for the typical person buying duct cleaning--I gotta think you see more $200k+ homes than <$125K homes. Competition would also be a big factor--if there are a lot of duct cleaning businesses barely scraping by in a particular town at the same price point/business model you've been working, that would be a lot more important than the size of the town. Could it not be better to move into a smaller town with less competition and where you'd have better pricing power?

My studies show that duct cleaning is still not a popular service, and that a very small percentage of people, regardless of income or home value, get it done. As such, we need to be able to reach as many people as possible. You'd be surprised...we do a huge variety of homes...from 40k crack houses to 9 million dollar mansions. The 'typical' home is the cookie cutter mcmansion though. And typically, lower income city homes dont see us much either.

Our other business is equally as dependent on a large population....inflatable rentals.

I'm sure with a different marketing strategy we could succeed in a smaller town with less competition, but I'd be afraid to try something so new to me. I think what we do now and how we do it will work in any area with a significant population. One good thing about more competition is that they bring attention (good and bad) to not-so-well-known industry (ducts). I LOVE when other duct cleaners advertise. Today's population likes to research things on the net....we position ourselves in the marketplace in a manner which makes it very likely for them to at a minumum see our website. Then, all we do is provide better/similar pricing, above average service, and deliver results. ... the rest takes care of itself.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #50

Quote:

Are you kidding me? Traffic?!? You don't know from traffic. DW and I laugh out loud every day when we watch the morning "rush hour" TV traffic cam. There are so few cars its silly, even funny, to have a traffic segment on tv. Crime... thats another story.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #51

If retiring, then it's Pinehurst which is about 80 miles south of Raleigh, by all measures other than availability of jobs (with exception of medical jobs) its a great place to live.
TJ
Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Are you kidding me? Traffic?!? You don't know from traffic. DW and I laugh out loud every day when we watch the morning "rush hour" TV traffic cam. There are so few cars its silly, even funny, to have a traffic segment on tv. Crime... thats another story.
Hey, it is still traffic. Go sit at the Military Cutoff Rd/Eastwood Rd intersection for 10 minutes about 7:30 am on a workday and get back to me! Or drive from where you are up College Rd to Market St. at 7:30 am or 5:15 pm.

You think you've seen real traffic? Go to Calcutta or any other "developing" city/country and that will make all US traffic look like a Sunday drive.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #53
Confused about dryer sheets

I live in Raleigh and work in RTP (Pharma). I doubt you will find anything in the area for $120k price range, even in the "ghetto" area, even the "ghetto" is in the $150-$180 range and most are rented out. You may find a townhouse for cheaper, but no land, HOA, ect.

We live in a nice Midtown Raleigh outside of the beltline and lots are from .33-.5 acres, built anywhere from 1970s-1980s, from 1600-2900 sq.ft, and run in the range of $250k-$350k. Prior to the housing collapse it was no less than $300k. Times are changing and realestate is coming down at a rapid pace and have seen some houses going for $220 at rock bottom/give away prices.

Midtown in Raleigh has seen a huge boom, but there is still some areas that are still in the high 100s to low 200s in Clayton, FV, and south of Raleigh.

I love Raleigh and so does my family. We visit the beach a few times a year and have family that lives in Wilmington. We prefer Myrtle Beach, SC vs. Wilmington though and is only an hour or so further. Raleigh has a small town feel but is a large city. Traffic is not too bad and we do not have to travel much since everything is right around the corner.

I work in Durham/Morrisville (RTP) and my wife works for Duke Health. We both hate Durham and Durham County. Neither of us can stand when we have to drive into Durham to even visit good friends.

We live in a nice district and have our kids in a great school system. I have absolutely no complaints about the area and plan on living here until we both retire and either move to the beach, buy a good deal of land up, and/or both including keep our house in Raleigh.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorFan View Post
I live in Raleigh and work in RTP (Pharma). I doubt you will find anything in the area for $120k price range, even in the "ghetto" area, even the "ghetto" is in the $150-$180 range and most are rented out. You may find a townhouse for cheaper, but no land, HOA, ect.

We live in a nice Midtown Raleigh outside of the beltline and lots are from .33-.5 acres, built anywhere from 1970s-1980s, from 1600-2900 sq.ft, and run in the range of $250k-$350k. Prior to the housing collapse it was no less than $300k. Times are changing and realestate is coming down at a rapid pace and have seen some houses going for $220 at rock bottom/give away prices.
It's funny how we are practically neighbors but seem to live worlds apart. I live in what I would describe as a "gentrifying" neighborhood also in Midtown Raleigh (probably a couple miles east of you). Most of the houses in this neighborhood sell for $130-160k. Every once in a while a really small non-updated house will sell for under $100,000, and I am aware of one listed now for $200,000 that probably won't sell. But that is roughly the range. I certainly wouldn't consider it the ghetto, but then again I'm biased by living here!

I just went to realtor.com and searched on zip code 27604 for houses 1,800 sf and up and between $140,000 and $180,000. 23 results. 27604 real estate & 27604 homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com&#174; Any of which I would live in. A number are from my neighborhood.

Drop the square footage down some (if you don't need 4 bedrooms and 1800-2500 sf) and you can get less expensive houses.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #55
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
It's funny how we are practically neighbors but seem to live worlds apart. I live in what I would describe as a "gentrifying" neighborhood also in Midtown Raleigh (probably a couple miles east of you). Most of the houses in this neighborhood sell for $130-160k. Every once in a while a really small non-updated house will sell for under $100,000, and I am aware of one listed now for $200,000 that probably won't sell. But that is roughly the range. I certainly wouldn't consider it the ghetto, but then again I'm biased by living here!

I just went to realtor.com and searched on zip code 27604 for houses 1,800 sf and up and between $140,000 and $180,000. 23 results. 27604 real estate & 27604 homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com® Any of which I would live in. A number are from my neighborhood.

Drop the square footage down some (if you don't need 4 bedrooms and 1800-2500 sf) and you can get less expensive houses.
Just goes to show the last time I was home shopping. We live within' walking distance of N. Hills mall. Not far at all from you!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorFan View Post
Just goes to show the last time I was home shopping. We live within' walking distance of N. Hills mall. Not far at all from you!
Yeah I figured you were in close proximity to N Hills based on what you get for the money! I mean that in the best way - it is a nice area and has "gentrified" well. But there is definitely a premium to be paid to live there.

I wouldn't be surprised though if your neighborhood and my neighborhood shared some of the same schools, since I know part of my n'hood gets sent over that way right now. Of course this may all change with the newly elected school board.