Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #41
Administrator

Over the years I have made many attempts tp break Murphy's law, Hofstadter's law, Sturgeon's law and Finagle's Law. So far my efforts have been entirely unsuccessful, but I'll keep trying.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As mentioned, the seat belt and helmet laws affect everyone, not just the person not wearing them. In the case of a crash you will likely be more injured than someone who was wearing the protection. This will divert medical resources from other areas even if you totally pay for the medical from your own pocket. If someone else was at fault in the accident, they will have to pay much more in an insurance claim because of your increased injuries (and sometimes an accident is just an accident and not because of texting or drunk driving).
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
As mentioned, the seat belt and helmet laws affect everyone, not just the person not wearing them. In the case of a crash you will likely be more injured than someone who was wearing the protection. This will divert medical resources from other areas even if you totally pay for the medical from your own pocket. If someone else was at fault in the accident, they will have to pay much more in an insurance claim because of your increased injuries (and sometimes an accident is just an accident and not because of texting or drunk driving).
While there is some argument that seat belts help by keeping the driver in the seat and in control in a multiple hit accident I reject the rest of this argument. We make laws that say we will pay for all the medical care and then feel that we are justified in making demands about other peoples behaviour because of that. By the same reasoning, the government should regulate diet and exercise and even your sex life. Oh my, this is likely to drag this thread down political paths and get it shut down!

Still no one weighing in with stories of the 60s? No protesters and civil rights marchers in the house?
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Thought the title was 'any laws broken,' not 'laws broken the group approves of.'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Colorado, it is against the law to collect rainwater that falls on your property for re-use (unless you have a well and meet other conditions). Lots of people violate this, some get busted if their rainwater barrels are too visible.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
As mentioned, the seat belt and helmet laws affect everyone, not just the person not wearing them. .....
OTOH, there is a societal benefit from young, healthy people breaking these laws--especially if they've signed the donor/harvesting consent cards and adequately discussed same with next-of-kin. :-)
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

My views on nudity are much more northern European than American. And, I have not regretted breaking any related laws.

I am not a fan of most recreational drugs for myself (excepting alcohol and caffeine); but, I think Portugal is the world leader in drug policy at the moment. I probably won't be breaking the related laws; but, in some ways, I think I should be.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Not retired yet, but taking a toke, for sure, when the situation presents itself. (and yeah, in some places, it isn't against state law, but neither of us would want to discuss it with the pertinent licensing boards)

Edit in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
+1

It's been a looong time but I hope to break that law before I die.
There's a law against that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
"It's okay, he's just really friendly and really likes you."
I've been bitten twice, and the last thing I heard both times was "Oh, he doesn't bite..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...lion, tiger, or leopard...
Oh my...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #50

I suspect that there are now so many obscure laws that most people break at least one several times per year.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #51

On breaking laws, obscure or not, I resolutely take the "5th". I will never admit to anything.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Didn't do it on intentionality. DW and I flew to FL. I had asked if she removed her CCW, 'yes of course thats illegal'. After we got there I looked down into a purse pocket, she forgot the extra 10 round single stack 9MM magazine. Went right through security no problem. We made alternative arrangements going home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #53

I'm not sure it's a law, but I break the rules all of the time by coding and running automated web page scrapers.

Most web sites say that any kind of scraper is against the rules, but I think their only recourse is to revoke your ID (which takes 10 seconds to create), or block your IP. But I guess that's not breaking any "law".
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You may think it is nobody's business but your own, but what if you crash and end up with severe brain damage? Who is going to pay for the helicopter that flies you to the hospital, the months of ICU and rehabilitation, and the years of 24 hour care, special housing, nursing and physiotherapy you will require? The taxpayer, that's who. And I pay plenty taxes already, thank you very much. Your family will be out of pocket too, because Medicare doesn't cover everything. Of course, if you get killed, it's a lot cheaper.
Maybe I drive better than you. Why would I crash on an empty highway?

As to the tax issue, I am not allowed to "opt out" of medicare although if given the chance to pay my own bills and not pay that portion of my income tax, I'd grab it in a flash.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
As to the tax issue, I am not allowed to "opt out" of medicare although if given the chance to pay my own bills and not pay that portion of my income tax, I'd grab it in a flash.
Are you enrolled in Medicare? I thought you were Canadian.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Are you enrolled in Medicare? I thought you were Canadian.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(Canada)
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #57

I quit using cigarettes but I enjoy e-cigarettes. I sneak a puff when I'm out and about.
I have a football board hanging from my fridge that covers the current season. (Won once so far.)
I love playing with my metal detector and didn't declare the .34 cents I found.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Over the years I have made many attempts tp break Murphy's law, Hofstadter's law, Sturgeon's law and Finagle's Law. So far my efforts have been entirely unsuccessful, but I'll keep trying.
I've never been too fond of Cole's Law, but that's probably because I'm too lazy to shred the cabbage.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
I walk the dogs "off-leash" at the city park every morning. I'm there before anyone else is awake. The dogs are well-behaved and bother no one. The police who patrol the park know about me; the police chief and mayor were laughing about it once; the city manager asked me to help design a dog park for the city; the parks director told me to let my dogs scare the geese back into the lake a few years ago (they were damaging the shoreline). There are a couple of other dog owners who do the same thing. One owner has the dog leash attached, but doesn't hang onto it!
I am a law and order type INTJ. But I had a Father back in the 1960's in small town SW Washington where proposed dog laws got so controversial that they threatened to make dog catcher an elected position. He made an impassioned speech before the City Council on 'free range for dogs and the right to poop' saying he was ready to run and if elected do nothing.

heh heh heh - sometimes I think back as I scoop the poop here in Kansas City from my dog.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #60

I would not typically break any laws intentionally, but I recent heard that most stores in our new mall do not prosecute shoplifters. I do not know if there is a dollar limit they ignore, but I remember where Walmart quit prosecuting shoplifters for merchandise under $20.

As a kid I was pretty good at it. I wonder if I still have the 'touch'. After all, there is no penalty, and a decent reward if you do it often enough. And you do not have to wait in line.

I just won't do it in stores I frequent, as I believe they might tress me from the stores once I get caught.

Of course, I am being sarcastic..
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote