Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Dont regret breaking the law when using snare traps to catch pesky moles.

Dont regret not getting permits to wire an additional circuit in my own house. saves me money, and yes, i do know about electrical wiring because i slept at the holiday inn

Dont regret burning my wood insert during a burn ban. House is out of sight, and i stay warm for cheap.

Dont regret eliminating Catylitic converter off my dodge ram diesel truck. The converter restricts the power, and i live in the county, so, no check!

Dont regret buying from out of state web sights to avoid Washington taxes!

Dont regret taking driftwood from our beach to make a few pieces of art.

Dont regret picking up an eagle feather and putting it in my hat.

Dont regret spinning donuts on a empty snowy street

Dont regret installing an illegal high volume toilet. Those low volume toilets will not flush a good doody!

Dont regret fixing my septic line (collapsed a 1 foot section when installed) on my own without notifying Department of health or getting permit.

All of the above are illegal in the state of washington (i think). Could some of the laws I break affect others, probably, but dont care!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #62

The lack of a permit...yep, put me down for that too!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I admit it. I failed to clean up my dog's droppings on a neighborhood lawn where a Megan's Law registered individual lived with his brother. Our local police chief warned us it was illegal to harass him, so I resorted to a lesser offense and used my dog to send a message. This person has since taken up residence in the state penitentiary again, so hopefully he won't be back.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
In Colorado, it is against the law to collect rainwater that falls on your property for re-use (unless you have a well and meet other conditions). Lots of people violate this, some get busted if their rainwater barrels are too visible.

Oh, yep. Broke this one all summer for extra water for the garden.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I would not typically break any laws intentionally, but I recent heard that most stores in our new mall do not prosecute shoplifters. I do not know if there is a dollar limit they ignore, but I remember where Walmart quit prosecuting shoplifters for merchandise under $20.

As a kid I was pretty good at it. I wonder if I still have the 'touch'. After all, there is no penalty, and a decent reward if you do it often enough. And you do not have to wait in line.

I just won't do it in stores I frequent, as I believe they might tress me from the stores once I get caught.

Of course, I am being sarcastic..
With a name like SENATOR I wouldn't expect you to dirty your hands for anything under 5 or 6 figures!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've been bitten twice, and the last thing I heard both times was "Oh, he doesn't bite..."
I don't know if the errant dog owners notice it, but when approached by overly friendly dogs, I curl my fists and scan the surrounding area for a sturdy beat down stick. Mostly for the dog, in case of attack. But I might not stop at the dog.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
What laws have you broken without regret? Which ones do you think need breaking? Any stories and hints for how to handle yourself if arrested? Surely we have a few children of the '60s here to give advice!
I have no recollection of such events...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recollection.jpg (49.2 KB, 13 views)
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Not retired yet, but taking a toke, for sure, when the situation presents itself. (and yeah, in some places, it isn't against state law, but neither of us would want to discuss it with the pertinent licensing boards)

Edit in red.
+1 on the 'pottery'. I will be 'officially' retired on 31 December and fully intend to indulge. I've been very good for uncle sugar over the last 22 years.

Also, of you think you don't break any laws, go ahead and put this into google and see what you think: 3 felonies a day.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I will remember not to lie to the FBI about any trips I might happen to take to Afghan.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I carried a knife though airport security, oh, wait no I didn't break the law as they caught me!
A fold up swiss army pocket knife of all the dastardly deeds. I had missed that pocket in my winter coat when emptying my pockets at the car.
Had to check the knife in a bag (or lose it).
Was free checking of for me, but pretty silly as I've flown 100's of times since 911 and didn't hijack anything.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

As a child from the 60's there isn't enough time to report everything I did.....but the one that stands out is going downtown to protest against Quantas Airlines for advertising a 99.00 round trip to Australia from LA. We found out it was so limited it was basically impossible to purchase these.
About 100 of us showed up at their downtown office to protest and I ended up in LA county jail for 3 days.......the rest is all pretty foggy.....
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Any stories and hints for how to handle yourself if arrested?
I've never been arrested and I don't plan on doing anything that would put me in such a situation. But, if it happened, I think saying "yes-sir" a lot wouldn't hurt and asking to be put in a cell without someone named Big Bubba would be a good idea.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I agree. I live next to a state park and walk there with my dog, on leash, nearly everyday. The problem with people with well behaved dogs off leash is that when the idiots with aggressive and untrained dogs see the other dogs off leash, they decide that it must be OK for them to do it, too....
+1 My little dog freaks out if she is much more than ten feet away from me with or without a leash, but I take her to an official off-leash small dog park to let her off the leash.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #74

We break the "off leash" law on occasion. Early/late in day...with no one around.

I would suggest "hosing down" my pups with pepper spray would not end well for the sprayer....just sayin.......
Old 11-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
We break the "off leash" law on occasion. Early/late in day...with no one around.

I would suggest "hosing down" my pups with pepper spray would not end well for the sprayer....just sayin.......
If an off leash dog behaves and keeps their distance, all I will do is exhibit disapproval. Its the ones that close the distance at speed with the wrong body language that get a bead drawn on them.

- George Orwell

Old 11-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post

That's OK, I carry pepper spray for humans as a back up because they do get indignant.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Jack_Pine

brewer12345

If an off leash dog behaves and keeps their distance, all I will do is exhibit disapproval. Its the ones that close the distance at speed with the wrong body language that get a bead drawn on them.
I think he means he is carrying and will shoot you.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I think he means he is carrying and will shoot you.
Sometimes I am too. Might not end well for all involved.

- George Orwell

Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Any stories and hints for how to handle yourself if arrested? Surely we have a few children of the '60s here to give advice!
Well, I wasn't arrested for it but one day, in the 60's, I was driving "a bit faster than the signs suggested". Got pulled over and the nice policeman said to 20ish me "considering the speed you were going, I want to see your pilot's license". In retrospect, complying may not have been the best option.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:46 AM   #80

ER did not change my law breaking or even rule breaking. There are still consequences if you get caught, and it's not worth it to me. Been there done that. I have relaxed some social graces and getting my haircut. All within my wife's tolerance levels.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote