Join Early Retirement Today

Any laws you don't regret or think you should break?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any laws you don't regret or think you should break?

One of the freedoms that comes with retirement is your "give a damn" gets busted to some extent. Having hewed the line for so much of my life doing the right thing, I realized that going forward into retirement, getting arrested for violating society's laws is actually less damaging. Mainly, not making it to work the next day will not result in financial ruin and an arrest record will not matter if one does not wish to be hired.

So, I'm reading in the papers about people getting arrested for feeding the homeless, growing food in their own front yard, breast feeding in public (don't have the equipment for that one but you get the idea!), etc. There have been any number of stupid laws that deserve to be broken on general principle.

What laws have you broken without regret? Which ones do you think need breaking? Any stories and hints for how to handle yourself if arrested? Surely we have a few children of the '60s here to give advice!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I walk the dogs "off-leash" at the city park every morning. I'm there before anyone else is awake. The dogs are well-behaved and bother no one. The police who patrol the park know about me; the police chief and mayor were laughing about it once; the city manager asked me to help design a dog park for the city; the parks director told me to let my dogs scare the geese back into the lake a few years ago (they were damaging the shoreline). There are a couple of other dog owners who do the same thing. One owner has the dog leash attached, but doesn't hang onto it!

Old 11-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
.....So, I'm reading in the papers about people getting arrested for feeding the homeless, growing food in their own front yard, breast feeding in public (don't have the equipment for that one but you get the idea!), etc. There have been any number of stupid laws that deserve to be broken on general principle.....
If our local officials outlaw feeding the homeless and less fortunate, or offering them a hand up, I'll be headin' to jail for certain! If they outlaw growing food on MY homestead, I'll most definitely be headin' to jail! And if they make it illegal to give my home-grown food to the homeless and the less fortunate, I'll be going to the slammer for so long that I'll never see the light of day again! And gladly so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
I walk the dogs "off-leash" at the city park every morning. I'm there before anyone else is awake. The dogs are well-behaved and bother no one..........There are a couple of other dog owners who do the same thing. One owner has the dog leash attached, but doesn't hang onto it!
There's a fellow and his lab that I see at the grocery store quite regularly. He always has a leash on the pooch, just as the law requires, and ties it to the bike rack while he goes into to shop. When he comes out, he unties the leash and drops it on the ground. The lab picks it up in it's mouth, and they head merrily on back home, exactly the same way they arrived, with the leash on the dog.....just as the law requires!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

If CA had had the breast feeding in public restriction, I absolutely would have broken that... I was always discreet though. No one got flashes of my ta-tas... they just saw a blanket covering a blob with baby feet sticking out. But that was a long time ago.

I also take my dog off leash at the beach - but only when I'm well north of the parking area so beyond the range of the busybodies. And it's usually before 7am.

I've been known to loiter. But never litter.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Along the lines of off-leash dog (which I wouldn't like if I were in the park FYI) is my off-leash cat.

She sleeps outside on our porch roughly 95% of the time, and occasionally goes into one neighbor's yard. I don't think she roams further than that and I've never heard any complaints from my neighbors (who are all on good terms). She never crosses the road or even gets near it (she's smart and lazy). The only downside is she loves murdering the occasional bluebird (they are delicious). The upside of being murderous is she controls the mouse and mole population. And squirrels and I think egrets (we found large white feathers and didn't see egrets for a while).
Old 11-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I routinely drive 5 to 9 mph over the limit when it isn't dangerous to do so.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
The lab picks it up in it's mouth, and they head merrily on back home, exactly the same way they arrived, with the leash on the dog.....just as the law requires!
One law I regret not breaking is the one against shooting scofflaws like that. That is a very criminal mentality. Petty crooks resort to it. use it. The mafia uses it , bankers use it, lawyers use it. "Loopholes". "Pounding the law". And other things as well apparently
Old 11-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I am not crazy about off-leash dogs in parks. Frequently they are not as well-behaved as their owners believe. OTOH, if an off-leash dog becomes aggressive or bothersome the owners cannot exactly complain if I hose it down with pepper spray.

As for stupid laws, well, where would you start? Dodd-Frank? Whatever gave us the CFPB? Whatever keeps Fannie and Freddie alive?

Things I would break personally? Very few, if any.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

Getting arrested will cost you quite a few dollars if you don't want to spend time in jail/prison.
On the other hand if you didn't save for retirement, then this will be a way to get a warm bed, companionship, and 3 meals a day at zero cost, other than dignity.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

Not retired yet, but taking a toke, for sure, when the situation presents itself. (and yeah, in some places, it isn't against state law, but neither of us would want to discuss it with the pertinent licensing boards)

Edit in red.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am not crazy about off-leash dogs in parks. Frequently they are not as well-behaved as their owners believe. OTOH, if an off-leash dog becomes aggressive or bothersome the owners cannot exactly complain if I hose it down with pepper spray.............
I agree. I live next to a state park and walk there with my dog, on leash, nearly everyday. The problem with people with well behaved dogs off leash is that when the idiots with aggressive and untrained dogs see the other dogs off leash, they decide that it must be OK for them to do it, too. That's when the Halt comes out and the shouting starts.

I'm generally law abiding, even drive the speed limit.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #12

Uncountable nuber of laws. Chances are I break dozen or so every day.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am not crazy about off-leash dogs in parks. Frequently they are not as well-behaved as their owners believe. OTOH, if an off-leash dog becomes aggressive or bothersome the owners cannot exactly complain if I hose it down with pepper spray.
"It's okay, he's just really friendly and really likes you."

Me: "I can tell. He's really really friendly. He's still jumping on me and dry humping my now-deflowered leg."

Some dog people don't get that not everyone else is a dog person. And that almost zero 2 year olds love aggressive dogs jumping in their faces. And nearly as many grown men enjoy doggy loving on their legs.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Not retired yet, but taking a toke, for sure, when the situation presents itself. (and yeah, in some places, it isn't against state law, but neither of us would want to discuss it with the pertinent licensing boards)

Edit in red.
+1

It's been a looong time but I hope to break that law before I die.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Uncountable nuber of laws. Chances are I break dozen or so every day.
Can you give some examples? I can't think of any laws i've broken in years other than minor traffic laws. Certainly no where near a dozen every day.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
"It's okay, he's just really friendly and really likes you."

Me: "I can tell. He's really really friendly. He's still jumping on me and dry humping my now-deflowered leg."

Some dog people don't get that not everyone else is a dog person. And that almost zero 2 year olds love aggressive dogs jumping in their faces. And nearly as many grown men enjoy doggy loving on their legs.
I am generally more concerned with off-leash dogs potentially attacking my dogs (who are ALWAYS on leash). If that would happen, pepper spray would be first, followed by a really good kicking for the dog, owner, or both.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #17

As soon as I retire I am pulling the tags off of every mattress we own!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Love it!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I'm a Whistle Blower, big money coming my way.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #20

In Kentucky, it is against the law to hang a man with a wooden leg.

You have to use a rope.