Any other 30-40somethings FIREd?

I definitely struggle with the lazy/useless thing. I've tried to accept "doing nothing" but it does feel wrong. Also I've read Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's book _Flow_, where it's suggested that being absorbed in one's work leads to better outcomes.

It's not lazy, it's being leisurely. I have been doing it for almost 5 years and it's been fantastic. Being absorbed in "work"? Yeah...I don't think so.

Being absorbed by my hammock or my floaty while in the pool? Yep...pretty much on a daily basis.

Don't worry, the days of "doing nothing" are few and far between...there is too much life to live.

We retired in our mid 40s and now almost 5 years into retirement, still running across people who can’t relate... We have been telling people that we manage rental properties, out of guilt (especially meeting older folks in retirement age with jobs) , but mostly to avoid the awkwardness.

I feel your pain. My close friends have finally resigned themselves to the fact that I am indeed retired and not on some sabbatical. I also am "in finance" for those rare occasions people want to talk about w*rk (like people sitting next to me on an airplane). This usually is good enough, but if they dig more, I just say that I am private funds manager but I *rarely* have to say that. People find finance to be boring, so they don't dig too deep. ;)

Last edited:
Basically what I'm gathering from these responses is no one ever says, "I don't work; I managed my money well in my youth and now I'm retired." :)

Basically what I'm gathering from these responses is no one ever says, "I don't work; I managed my money well in my youth and now I'm retired." :)

I don't work [a job for 'pay']. My vision of retirement was to live rural where I could mess around gardening and raising livestock.

I managed my money well in my youth [while working a careerfield that offers a 20-year pension, and now with my pension and my portfolio...] I'm retired.

I stopped working 10 years ago at the age of 45, and spent much of the next few years wandering around in my pajamas, building shortwave radios from scratch, and naming them after my cats. When people asked me what I did, obviously expecting to discover what my profession was, I'd reply, "Not much." I know it sounds willfully perverse to give such an answer, but it represents my mindset quite well. In truth, I do do things, but am very comfortable with "going with the flow" and doing whatever I want, as each moment comes along. Lots of hanging around, contemplating, thinking, looking things up online, as well as the various projects I get involved with to pass the time. There's always something to do.

Besides, once you've taken care of the necessary things that have to be done each day (eating, drinking, cooking, cleaning, feeding pets, etc), that means you only have a few hours to fill, in between each "chore". I'm supposed to be doing the prep work for installing a new center-high brake light on the fiberglass high-top of my camper van today. However, it's already 12 noon and I'm still in my pajamas, drinking coffee, and posting in this forum. You don't have to do many things in a day before it's time for dinner, a bit of TV, and bed. I don't know where all the time goes!

Oh, in answer to the OP, how successful you are in navigating this early retirement of yours will depend a lot on your personality type. If, like me, you do your own thing, and don't worry much about what others think, you'll be fine. March to the beat of your own drum, and don't worry what other instruments your neighbors are playing. Sure, their swish-looking electric guitars look cool, but your tuba is quirky and has so much more personality. While everyone else uses a fuzz box and turns the volume up to 11, keep on making oompah noises. Nobody else can do you as well as you can :LOL: *

(*Bit of an odd analogy, but I think you get the idea.)

Last edited:
My husband and I have reached FI at 48 (but are trying to work another 2 years to pay for extensive travel). I've only mentioned "early retirement" to 2 good friends who know how I live and spend (or don't spend). Even so, it's provoked so many questions that I'm reluctant to tell the truth to anyone else when we actually retire at 50. I think incredulity is a common reaction, along with jealousy, relatives looking for handouts, suspicion that you didn't accomplish it without an inheritance... When the time comes, I will be telling everyone that we're "taking a delayed post-collegiate tour of Europe" since we were too poor to do so at age 22. Then they can wonder when I'm going back to w*rk.

Back
Top Bottom