Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any other hard core ER skiiers out there?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Any other hard core ER skiiers out there?

Just wondering how many others out there share my passion for snow skiing. When I say passion, I'm not talking about an annual week or two in canada or europe, but those that annually log 50+ days a season shredding the slopes anywhere they can. A little about me: 57 yrs, athletic, went to undergraduate school in utah, where I sometimes skiied 100 days a year, in some of the finest powder on earth. Often this was backcountry skiing with a few friends where we would enjoy pristine untracked shots all season long. Not so much backcountry now, but still a passholder every season here in colorado. I am a free heeler, that is, I telemark ski. That is no hindrance since I can ski the most difficult terrain, with and usually better than most trad downhillers. I've been telemarking for 35 years. I keep a quiver of 7 pair of skis for any type of snow conditions from deep powder to hard piste. Since ER'ng I now live and ski locally in the san juan mountains of colorado, where my frequent choices are purgatory, telluride, wolf creek, and crested butte. We don't get the consistent light dry powder that I used to enjoy in utah, but the terrain is excellent, and the scenery spectacular. I hope to continue to ski into my eighties, albeit on a more limited basis but at a variety of worldwide destinations that are on my bucket list. Hopefully my body will cooperate, if I am careful about injury. All I know is that skiing for me has long been a way of life, combining a love of moving through mountains thru beautiful scenery with that joy found thru rigorous athletic activity. Although I had to live away from them for several years during my working life, I cannot now imagine living anywhere where there aren't mountains. For some it's oceans and deserts, for me, it's the high altitudes found in the mountains. There is no feeling like that twilight hour at the end of a long day of skiing, tired but exhilarated, looking out across the high peaks that are now bathed in alpenglow, getting ready for your final run down. Love it! I guess you can tell that I am ready for winter
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I ski every week day that it isn't raining at our local resort in the east. Not the same as skiing in the west but I still enjoy it and I try to get out west for a week or so most years. Maybe 75 days a year now. I used to go weekends too so I was probably over 100 but it's just not worth the crowds. Tore my ACL 3 years ago but came right back the next year. I still ski sometimes with friends in their 80s. One guy was fairly regular until about 91 but he's probably done now.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've gotten really into skiing over the past few years, and I'm planning another long trip this winter. I'll spend at least 4 solid weeks in ski country, probably skiing every other day during that time. Can't wait till I'm back on the snow!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been alpine skiing for forty-two years and loving every minute of it! Before I retired, I'd drive 260 miles from my home on Long Island, NY, to a large resort in Vermont on weekends, where I rented a seasonal ski house with friends. I did this every weekend (and during at least three weeks vacation) each year for twenty-eight years, after which I retired at fifty and moved to Vermont. While in Vermont, I skied 100+ days each year for ten years and even became a professional ski instructor. After ten years, I moved to Utah where I currently live and I ski every week at whichever resort I buy a midweek season pass for (this year is Snowbird.) I don't get the 100+ day seasons anymore due to my starting a second career as a social worker, but I hope to ski until I die. And, like you, I'm already getting excited about the coming season!
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've skied since I was about six years old but not near as often as you folks. We took a trip to Purgatory about 8 years ago and loved it other than a bit of altitude sickness. Now we are snowbirds so limited skiing.... a few times a season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

skier? did someone call my name?

I ski 50+ days a year... oh wait. I mentally ski that much, but my knees only let me ski 20 to 30 days each year.... and that was while I was still working!

This will be my first season as an ER'd skier. I have been rehabbing the knee and training hard all off season and am hoping for a great ski season.

I am hardcore... For the past 10 years, DW and I spend our winters in SLC so we can ski the Wasatch and then we spend the summers in Phoenix... cause we are not very bright!

We are in Scottsdale now, but are leaving for the very last time in 3 weeks. Our Scottsdale home is for sale and We will be driving our motorhome up to SLC for the season. We both have mid week season passes at Brighton, but DW also gets a 10 day pass at Snowbird so she can ski with her friends.

As for living near the mountains, that is our plan as well. Ski all winter long, Travel in the MH during the spring, Mountain bike and hike the Wasatch mountains all summer and then take a long MH trip during the fall.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Just wondering how many others out there share my passion for snow skiing. When I say passion, I'm not talking about an annual week or two in canada or europe, but those that annually log 50+ days a season shredding the slopes anywhere they can. A little about me: 57 yrs, athletic, went to undergraduate school in utah, where I sometimes skiied 100 days a year, in some of the finest powder on earth. Often this was backcountry skiing with a few friends where we would enjoy pristine untracked shots all season long. Not so much backcountry now, but still a passholder every season here in colorado. I am a free heeler, that is, I telemark ski. That is no hindrance since I can ski the most difficult terrain, with and usually better than most trad downhillers. I've been telemarking for 35 years. I keep a quiver of 7 pair of skis for any type of snow conditions from deep powder to hard piste. Since ER'ng I now live and ski locally in the san juan mountains of colorado, where my frequent choices are purgatory, telluride, wolf creek, and crested butte. We don't get the consistent light dry powder that I used to enjoy in utah, but the terrain is excellent, and the scenery spectacular. I hope to continue to ski into my eighties, albeit on a more limited basis but at a variety of worldwide destinations that are on my bucket list. Hopefully my body will cooperate, if I am careful about injury. All I know is that skiing for me has long been a way of life, combining a love of moving through mountains thru beautiful scenery with that joy found thru rigorous athletic activity. Although I had to live away from them for several years during my working life, I cannot now imagine living anywhere where there aren't mountains. For some it's oceans and deserts, for me, it's the high altitudes found in the mountains. There is no feeling like that twilight hour at the end of a long day of skiing, tired but exhilarated, looking out across the high peaks that are now bathed in alpenglow, getting ready for your final run down. Love it! I guess you can tell that I am ready for winter

Hesperus, you're post is practically poetry. Hopefully more of those days coming my way soon.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Quest4Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I definitely share the passion for skiing. For most of the reasons noted, including speed, tranquility, intensity, peace, camaraderie, outdoor beauty, etc.

I've been skiing telemark mainly for the last 15 years, but have been enjoying some alpine skiing for a change the last few years. It's a kick to have the training heels back on and rip moguls, chutes, and high speed carving non-stop with minimal fatigue. Occasional backcountry, but mostly lift served with some occasional snowboarding. I ski about 30 days per year in north lake Tahoe, mostly Sugar Bowl, Squaw Valley, and Alpine Meadows.

This will be my first ski season ER'd, I'm especially excited to see what the season holds... I expect 40 to 50 days, and hope to catch the best conditions. Skiing strong in my mid-50s with no physical issues, hope to ski solid for another couple decades and ramp down as needed.

Annual Warren Miller flick is playing in town tomorrow, this post is feeding my pre-season anticipation. Resorts picked up a foot last week with more on the way.

Some days skiing seem to totally fulfill my physical, mental, and spiritual capability and needs. To be FIRE'd and ski at will has been a lifetime goal, looking forward to a great season.

Think Snow!
Skibum
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:51 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I regret that skiing is no longer a passion for me as it was growing up. I have a great picture of my Dad skiing with 18 month old me on his back when we were living in Austria. I grew up in Vermont skiing and even was a Vail ski bum for a season in college.

Unfortunately Vermont winters (the cold and the relatively poor snow conditions) and increasing cold sensitivity in my extremeties mean that skiing just isn't fun anymore. Maybe if I lived in Colorado or Utah, I would sing a different tune. I do miss it.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #10

We skiied as a family for several years since our local resort is 30 minutes away. Night passes were $140/season and we belonged to a club. Two bad broken arms when DS was in high school turned him off to it (he majored in music Ed and plays percussion, do he values his hand and arms more than most). I haven't skiied since 2012, and now I'm working on weight loss and getting in shape, so maybe again in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We don't ski as much as some of you but we do make up for it with variety! Our "hardcore" may be more in location than in frequency.

In my younger days, I was on the high school ski race team (lucky to still be alive!) and a local church team as well.

We usually do 4 or 5 days at Deer Valley UT and another 10 days or so in the French Alps. We also get in a few days in the East (NH or VT) but those are more day trips.

We used to ski a lot more but we now spend a good part of the winter in Florida...a nice trade off.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Alright! It's great to hear from you all and know who you are! The ER life has certainly opened up that time for us, to pursue this wonderful sport. It's funny too how I find my winters often more active and social than my summers because of this. There's a winter group of friends that I'll ski and socialize regularly with, and the camaraderie is really special, often sprinkled with those memorable powder days, or special times we all remember. Then I won't see some of them all summer long, but I know I'll be seeing them up on the mountain again when the snow flies. Before I moved west at 19 yrs old, winter in the midwest (where I grew up) was something that everyone wanted to 'get through' until the warm weather returned. Now it's something I look forward to every year. I'm grateful every day for ER & having the physical and financial means to enjoy it.

Here's to all of you having a safe and fun season ahead
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I skied Loveland Monday, 11/2.

I usually ski 30-40 times a season.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #14

My great grandfather was an avid skier until 2 years ago when he got run over by a inexperienced snowboarder. He had to quit at 94 due to leg fracture. He learned to ski during WWII. He loved when he turned 70 (think that was the age) that he could ski for free or deep discount at many locations.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

our hill offers free passes for 70+ srs

snowboarders and racers can be trouble. that's why I wear a helmet
Old 11-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #16

In my 20s and 30s, I was an avid skier, but max days were around 40. Even was on Ski Patrol for several years. A move to Alabama cut way back on the skiing to an annual trip out west. But the fun went out of it as my legs wouldn't respond the way my mind thought they should so from age 46 to 56 stopped going out. Started up again to introduce my sons to downhill skiing but as they became teens, they preferred kids their own age to Dad. Now we do one father-sons trip a year.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Funny how when get to "real" retirement age, the bear will jump on your back. My sister had a house in Aspen and a "famous" ski instructor that skied with her whenever he didn't have a client lined up--for years.

After a bout of cancer, she retired from skiing and sold her Aspen house for enough $ to buy a palatial mansion in a NC ski resort and a Learjet to fly to fly back and forth.

Her husband went back to Aspen the last few years, but a serious back injury grounded him from skiing @ age 68. And they were great skiers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
You are living my dream!

I leave tomorrow for Colorado to hit Keystone for about 5 to 7 days. Keystone opened yesterday and even though they only have a few runs open its worth it to me to get some turns in. I might hit A-basin also.

I injured my ankle(serious sprain) last season so hopefully its completely healed.

Then I will go back in Jan. and late Feb. through early March for a total of about 6 to 7 weeks of snowboarding.

The Epic ski pass is an amazing deal. I might also go to Park City and the Canyons. Snowbird is my favorite mountain.

So yes I also love winter!!

If you get a chance, go to Chile during our summer to ski. Its a blast.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like the steeps and Park City had way too much run out for me. I loved Alta.... my kind of mountain.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:52 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I like the steeps and Park City had way too much run out for me. I loved Alta.... my kind of mountain.

+1 on Alta (and no snowboarders, last time I looked!)
Love the short steep runs off the King Con side at Park City.