Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
I was a fairly mellow fellow as a young guy but after college, which was a blast, I hated work from the very get-go because of kiss-butts. I had seen a few kiss-butts in HS and college but my workplace seemed like a breeding place for those maggots.

I will say that I put on less of a mask than most had to and I paid the price in promotion and salary but still did well.

I walked out of my company as soon as I could get my retiree benefits and I have Zero regrets.

Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Not a regret but an observation. Many people identify and place some degree of self value/worth to the job/position they hold or held when working. Being an A type personality it took me some time to disengage from that flawed perception.
I am not retired yet.

My mom is 84 years old and she tells me she sometimes struggles to find things to do (fun things to do). She tends to get depressed when she has nothing fun to do, so she tries hard to keep herself busy. (She had her own business until she was in her mid 70's.) Because of that, I feel I should have a bunch of hobbies (not expensive hobbies but you know) for my later years.

I am very busy woking now (long hours and very challenging) so I am totally immersed in that and I believe my identity is somehow wrapped up in my job; plus my source of entertainment or social interactions happen there because I really don't do much on days off except chores and hanging with my SO. So yeah, I think what frayne says is what might happen to me too.

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
If I’m honest with myself, I have to admit to some regrets. I’m in the category of those running FROM a horrible work environment more so than running TO early retirement.

I loved the first nine months of retirement, but slipped into a bit of depression when I started to run out of projects to keep me busy. I planned well for retirement financially, but in hindsight, I should have spent more time developing interests and hobbies, especially since I’m single and all of my friends are still employed.

I just started a temporary job that is right up my alley and it’s picked up my spirits. I hope for more temporary or part time work down the road. It’s a better balance for me than full time retirement.

That said, I still made the right decision to retire when I did. The job was killing me, mentally and physically.
Zantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I am very happily retired and have no regrets at all (though I do still enjoy part time jobs for some reason and cant quit them). However 2 years into retirement I have noticed something odd. I have absolutely no interest in learning anything new whether it be a musical instrument or foreign language, etc. I thought I would be a little experimental, but that part of me is gone I guess. I have a routine (that includes spur of the moment trips out west) that I love and dont like being out of it. For example yesterday, the paper guy gave me 2 early sunday editions instead of one and the saturday edition. Saturday paper cannot be bought locally at newsstand. Threw me into a fit of rage and my routine for the day was all screwed up! Now keep in mind I have access to the whole edition online as a hard copy subscriber, but that doesn't work for me as I need to have it in paper format to enjoy with my coffee. If this had happened to me while working, it wouldn't have even made a blip on my radar screen.Today the paper was delivered in its proper manner and life is back to being normal
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
Regrets? Absolutely none. I knew I was going to retire at age 55 when I was in my mid-20s. I lived below my means. I saved. I saved even more. I was debt free, including the house several years before retirement. When it came time for that magic day, I shook hands and walked out the door and we moved to our ranch. This comes from someone who is a Typical Type A personality.

These past years have been amazing. We are young enough, healthy enough, financially prepared, still debt free, and are able to enjoy this time in our life. It's a gift for which we will not squander.

I think the vast majority of the people on this board did similar planning. It's those people who thought "they'd work forever" who got surprised. Either health, or economic downturns, or just life in general put them in a position to (voluntarily or non-voluntarily) exit the workforce before they were ready. They are probably not ready financially or emotionally to be without a job.

I suspect the planners and savers have no regrets. I suspect those people who lived life "happenstance", hand-to-mouth, and figured things would just work out are those people not happy with retirement.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe
Very insightful comments. I retired two years ago from a high profile, high stress job at age 55. The first few months were fun but after that I had a difficult time as I thought I missed "the action." I realized that instead of "fighting" retirement I needed to embrace the beautiful gift I had been blessed with and had earned after 25 years of stress, travel etc. A friend once told me when you change the way you look at things- the things you are looking at change. Bottom line- I am starting to enjoy my new found freedom much more and appreciating the little things in life which I never noticed before!

Gonzo304 is offline   Reply With Quote