Join Early Retirement Today

any retired or semi-retired profs here?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

any retired or semi-retired profs here?

Well, that's the question. If so, did you adjunct after leaving your full-time position? How did you feel about going from lofty tenured-prof-dom to lowly adjunct? Second thoughts?
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not directly on point but, in a similar vein, about five years ago DW voluntarily went from a long term equity partner at her law firm, to a limited partner, and now to what is called a special partner (sort of retired with a small pension and continuing links to the firm). Her path was very unusual -- the only other equity partners on it were pushed that way due to lack of business. But DW has been very happy with it throughout and the partners who count (in her opinion) know she chose it at her peak and seem a mix of envious and confused.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

My step mom is the poster child for this.
Full tenured nursing educator. "Retired" and immediately started teach classes on her own schedule/terms for a pretty famous online university.
She's 85 and still teaching. There's a huge shortage of PhD nurses who can be graduate advisers. She loves it - claims it keeps her brain active. She takes a term off when she wants to travel. Probably teaches 8 classes a year.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

After retiring this summer I thought about going back and teaching part-time. The thought passed quickly when I realized if I wanted to keep teaching I would not have retired. My guess is that those who go back as adjuncts will be marginalized/ignored by their former colleagues (even more than before).
CarlK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was not in academia, but I wondered how I'd feel once I lost the status of my job.

The answer was that I really didn't have that much of my ego tied up in that part of my identity and I just moved on. Of course I quit cold turkey. YMMV
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, all. Rodi, my hat is off to your mom! wow.
Carl, I really want to retire to:
1. move!! So I'd not be adjuncting here.
so far down in priority that I'll call it #10: have a bit more control over own time and life.
Teaching I actually like. Immense paperwork, not so much.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I was an adjunct for 4-5 years, with no teaching experience. I think you would do well in evening classes, as the students are more mature, and know where they want to go.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I retired this past spring and have no desire to teach parttime. Like someone said, if I wanted to keep teaching I would not have left. I did go back for one lecture just last week as a favor to the department. I did not like it. Part way through the lecture I could tell that this was no longer for me. Thirty-two years in the classroom was enough.

There was no spark to the presentation. No life. I enjoyed the preparation and actually looking forward to the class...but it just isn't there anymore. I left at a good time and glad to do it on my terms without being nudged out the door.

My advice is that if you have already retired you must have given it a lot of consideration. Since you made the decision to leave you must have known that it was the right time. No need to look back. Enjoy the future.
coolowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired from my full time, good paying, high pressure, lots of travel job in 2009. After a year off, I started teaching as a "lowly adjunct" (part time). Except for the "lowly" pay, I love it. I don't have to worry about department meetings, strategic plans, etc. Since I teach during the day, it helps them (as many adjuncts have real jobs to worry about and can only teach evenings).
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all your comments!
Where I am now there are several adjuncts whom I, as area head, "supervise", and I frequently have tinges of jealousy, for the reasons copyright mentions: a lot of the busywork is just "poof" gone, plus the "this isn't really part of your job but you really should do this" type of expectations.
Was biting tongue in a meeting last week to keep from shouting, "This is all BS!" Instead, I smiled, nodded, and made suggestions, like a good little drone, and counted months to ER inside.
There is the money issue, of course, copyright, but as long as our lifestyle itself, money-wise is unaffected, even if it ends up working 75% less for 17% of the pay, I'm not sure I'll care. There would also be the lifestyle improvement of more time to spend with Beloved Spouse.
So we shall see!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk View Post
after retiring this summer i thought about going back and teaching part-time. The thought passed quickly when i realized if i wanted to keep teaching i would not have retired.

ditto. Retired as a Prof after 23 years, and did not look back. Retirement is great!
dennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I taught as an adjunct many years ago for about 3 years and thoroughly enjoyed it (but admit, it was a lot of work in addition to a full time job).

I toyed with leaving practice and going into academia a few years ago but was dissuaded by the "BS" that seemed to be part of what they wanted me to do and the huge pay cut.

I think about it again every time I see an ad for adjuncts in my field, but for now I don't want to be tied down at all - if I up and decide to go wherever for a week or two or three I don;t want to be not able to do it due to prior commitments.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't want to be tied down at all - if I up and decide to go wherever for a week or two or three I don;t want to be not able to do it due to prior commitments.
Good point. Most people do not realize that teachers do not get vacation time, when they would like to. They can only take vacation time when there are no classes scheduled.
dennygt is offline   Reply With Quote