Join Early Retirement Today

Any Southerners have Summer homes up North?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any Southerners have Summer homes up North?

I know about the seasonal migrations of Northerners (Snow birds) to the South in Winter. Are there any Southerners on this site that have homes in the North for Summer?

My wife has family - cousins - that live in Northwest Wisconsin. We have family reunions up there every couple of years. Over the decades of our marriage we have discussed how nice it could be to buy a summer home up there to get away from the heat and enjoy the things that NW Wisconsin has to offer. It is probably unrealistic for us because of the things holding us close to our current community and family in Texas, but we can dream a little.

What is more likely for us after ER is vacationing up there for a few weeks in the middle of Summer.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I lived in Houston we had a house in Port Angeles WA.

Actually, we still have it and have a renter.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

One of my sisters is looking up there right now for a summer home... she loves the place... they want to be close to lakes..

She is going condo so she does not have to have someone take care of the house when she is down here...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

We know a number of former Minnesotans who have kept summer houses there for many years.

Personally, my sister and I still own a summer house in MD that was originally my grandparents. For various reasons, I now am rarely able to visit it, but she lives much closer and is able to use it often. I am keeping joint ownership in case one or both of my kids are interested in it down the road, but if she wanted to sell it I would not object.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We moved to the South and still have family up north. We plan on doing 1-2 months of the VRBO thing each year which would be the 'off season' for rentals there.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We have a condo in a more temperate part of Europe (~46°N) and will use it this year to escape the summer heat in the South.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year we tripled the size of our vacation home - went from a 2 person tent to a 6 person tent that we can stand up in and added a really nice inflatable bed. As we are in Texas, we can head to Guadalupe Mountains or Cloudcroft and get out of the heat for about 5 bucks a night. Plan for this summer is to head to Boulder for a bike ride, we've got an airbnb for a week for $800 and then will camp the week before and after or until we tire of it. Can take the little dog too! Don't you just love being retired!!!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are considering selling our northern abode and becoming gypsies in the summer using airbnb for a month at a time. As it is we only spend 5 months there and some of that is local travel for a few days each.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My mom... FL resident and has a modest home in FL and a lakfefront home in Vermont.

Most of the one that I know were previous snowbirds and changed residency... same homes but the southern home is now their principal residence.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We would be looking around Solon Springs or Hayward Wisconsin. Lots of lakes and fishing and a nice change of scenery for a few weeks or few months out of the year.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Old 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Since we moved to the Islands (now, that's SOUTH) we have maintained a small place in the Great Lakes region of the Midwest. We typically spend 2 to 4 months in the "north" in the summer. The irony is that while the summers in Honolulu can be uncomfortably warm, they rarely compare to the summer heat and humidity of the midwest. We do the trek to the Midwest for other reasons than weather. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most southerners I know have summer houses either on a lake or in the mountains (TN OR NC)- but still in the south.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Administrator

We go north in July - from Connecticut to Maine.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Most southerners I know have summer houses either on a lake or in the mountains (TN OR NC)- but still in the south.
To answer the question, "Any Southerners have Summer Homes Up North?"

My answer is pretty seldom. I do know one guy that has a home in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan--as a place to showcase his collection of mahogany yachts. Otherwise, no.

Most of the people we know have Summer homes (condos) down on the Gulf Coast of Alabama and the Florida Panhandle. They also use'em in the Spring/Fall since most are rented in the middle of the Summer.

Our Summer home is on the Tennessee River--across town from our main residence. When it gets too hot, we head for a fifth wheel camper in the Northeast Georgia Mountains where temperatures are 8-10 degrees cooler.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Some New Orleanians have a second home to go to when hurricanes threaten (although I don't). These are not WAY north, usually. My dentist has one in Hattiesburg.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #16

I will say it is much cheaper to rent a place up north for the summer, than a place down south for the winter. Also, some Northern Universities offer Senior housing deals for the summer while the students are away. Pretty reasonable last I checked.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Last year we tripled the size of our vacation home - went from a 2 person tent to a 6 person tent that we can stand up in and added a really nice inflatable bed. As we are in Texas, we can head to Guadalupe Mountains or Cloudcroft and get out of the heat for about 5 bucks a night. Plan for this summer is to head to Boulder for a bike ride, we've got an airbnb for a week for $800 and then will camp the week before and after or until we tire of it. Can take the little dog too! Don't you just love being retired!!!

Very cool and economical way to have a flexible "second home."
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Hayward is such a beautiful area. When you are there go to Copper Falls State Park. It is the prettiest and least used in WI. I grew up there in the summers as my folks had a summer resort.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #19

I know a number of people who live in Arizona who go north for the summer. Denver/San Diego/ Northern Idaho/ northern Arizona even.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Hayward is such a beautiful area. When you are there go to Copper Falls State Park. It is the prettiest and least used in WI. I grew up there in the summers as my folks had a summer resort.
I will. We will be having a cousin reunion either this Summer or next.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35