Join Early Retirement Today

Any suggestions for stuff to do at or near Colonial Williamsburg?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any suggestions for stuff to do at or near Colonial Williamsburg?

The SO and I are going to The Williamsburg Inn soon for a short vacation to celebrate ER. We will have a pass to the stuff within the historic village area, and we aren't big on amusement parks nearby. But other than that, we are open to any suggestions about venues to tour or see, or restaurants at which to dine. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's been many years since I was in Williamsburg, but the last time I was there I really enjoyed a tour of the Governor's Palace, which included some lovely gardens.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you're into the historical stuff, Jamestown and Yorktown are nearby. The glassworks at Jamestown is pretty neat. The food at the inn is good, and there's always the taverns (Chowning's and The Kings Arms are my favorites). Did the Ghost tour once, that was fun. Other than that, you can always wander through William and Mary, and there's a winery there, although that's not my thing.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Just visited there last weekend Jamestown and Yorktown are interesting. You can drive the Colonial Parkway between the two. We ate at two places that were rated well on TripAdvisor. Second Street and The Whaling Company and both were good. YMMV.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #5

The Trellis Bar & Grille - Merchant's Square - had some creative menu selections, as I recall.

Kindest regards.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

I have been there several times, and I always enjoy the visitors center. There is a film about 20-30 minutes that highlights the history of the area.

The glassblower at Jamestown has always been a favorite.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are driving in detouring up along the James river on the way in or out can lead you near the James River Plantations. Worth a stop at a few of them if you like that sort of thing.

Map of James River Plantations--James River Plantations: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Williamsburg Winery has a nice tasting tour if you like that sort of thing (which I do).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If you're into the historical stuff, Jamestown and Yorktown are nearby. The glassworks at Jamestown is pretty neat. The food at the inn is good, and there's always the taverns (Chowning's and The Kings Arms are my favorites). Did the Ghost tour once, that was fun. Other than that, you can always wander through William and Mary, and there's a winery there, although that's not my thing.
I haven't been there since 1976, 39 years ago. Some of the ideas you list are the ones I remember best and most fondly, although I skipped the taverns, winery, and Ghost tour. I remember walking through a very old church graveyard at Jamestown that had a huge impact on me. I also remember the regular displays at Williamsburg, where they showed us how people lived back then and how they cooked and so on.

To me, it's all about history and that area is just full of history. So, I'd suggest reading the history of that area before you even go! It will mean so much more to you if you do, IMO.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I thought the Jamestown settlement (run by NPS) was more interesting than Yorktown. I've not been to Colonial Jamestown, though that looks interesting.
"Sal's By Victor" is a very good Italian restaurant that is popular with the locals. Great food.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #11

I would recommend the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum. It is air-conditioned, too, not an insignificant bonus when it is hot and muggy.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't go in summer ...wait till kids are back in school.

In the local area, I would, well ...probably just say no.

I might consider a day in Wburg, then a couple of days in Washington, DC. Hit Kennedy Center, tour the House and Senate ...WWII and Vietnam Memorials, museums of whatever kind you like ...lots of good restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-08-2015, 01:41 AM   #13

Definitely do the local tour of historic houses. On our tour, we got caught in a rain shower and huddled on someone's generous-sized porch. The owner came to the door and invited the tour group into the house (which was definitely NOT on the tour.) The tour leader didn't want us to go in, but of course, we all did.

On that trip (30+ years ago now) we also hit Mt. Vernon, a brewery (forget which one but it was a major brewer), a local theme park. As always, Google is your friend. I agree about waiting until fall - but only because summer is hot and humid in Williamsburg. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to mention Mt Vernon ...and, TJ's place (Monticello) near Charlottesville.

Luray Caverns is further but interesting.

Requires some scheduling, but there is a very cool bluegrass venue and series (Song of the Mountains) in a small town called Marion (Virginia). Haven't been but the broadcasts are pretty outstanding.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #15

Yes, Mt Vernon and the James River Plantations. The Plantations are more do it yourself and I like that. You need to read up on line as to the ones you may be interested in.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #16

We enjoyed the Newport News Naval Base tour and the Mariner's Museum. Beaches aren't bad either. Great Dismal Swamp good too.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #17

Yes. Monticello is about 1.5 hrs away. Always worth a visit.