Join Early Retirement Today

any way to get out of retirement party?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there any smooth way to decline a retirement party? I really just want to get the h*ll out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

not really. I've worked with several people with similar feelings, and in some cases, they were the subject of ambush parties. you might just have to go along with it. except when they want a speech.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

I really wanted to also, but I gave in a agreed to attend. It turned out to be more emotional than I expected and I was glad I did. My situation may be different I was with the company for 33 years. I have been retired for two weeks now and I am having a blast.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Administrator

Fake a communicable disease?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Check out this thread: Avoiding a "retirement party"

I think Rambler (post #8) nailed it.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

Also, consider that a party for you might be the one bright moment for your coworkers in an otherwise miserable existence, the very existence from which you are now departing. You could participate out of pity (or gloating)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My party consisted of a supervisor walking me to the door and taking my badge...

No speech required though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Just say you're shy
Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Keep w@rking
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
My party consisted of a supervisor walking me to the door and taking my badge...

No speech required though...
My kind of retirement party.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

You will probably may have to put up with it. If they have their minds set on this path, it's like trying to stop a bulldozer. Perhaps you can convince them to only include your department and not the whole building. That is what I did and it was not too too bad. Just try to have a speech or something ready because they will insist on it. I know people mean well but it would be nice to just leave in peace if you wish it.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My company had a practice of giving retirement parties. Like funerals, they are really for the ones left.

I don't enjoy being the center of attention and giving emotional speeches and asked my boss if I could bow out. He respected my wishes. I said that it would make it uncomfortable for me were I to then come back in the future and do some contract work, which we had discussed.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't want one but it was really for my friends who wanted to give me a very nice send-off. Short and sweet.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was indifferent but my boss and his assistant (who was also my assistant) organized one. DW and I went and had a great time. It was a great way to make the break.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't have anything formal, but instead had a series of lunches with closest friends. Department conducted a brief (5 min) goodbye ceremony and that was that. I really appreciated being able to keep things low key.

Just be honest and let folks know that you'd rather not have a big bash.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #16

I had an employee retiring after several decades with the company. He was a key technical person with a high standing within the company. His tenure and rank (by company policy) made him eligible for a retirement dinner. He invited his selected attendees. He was stuck with me and my boss with our respective wives. On the "big night" we were all there but no retiree or his wife. We called and called his home (pre-cell phones). Eventually, we gave up and ate. I was spared giving my speech. We found out the next day that on the day of his dinner a moving van showed up at his house. He and his wife left town that afternoon. He contacted HR and changed the address for his pension. We mailed him his retirement gift.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #17

My solution to retirement party was announcing that I'll not be present for the party.

When the party idea was initially presented, my point was that I arrived as a nobody, just another cog of the many in the big wheel. That big wheel keeps on turning just fine without my presence.

Instead, I suggested that they have a good riddance celebration. Heck it opened up a promotional slot. It worked. I think, since I was not present, nor have I ever gone back or contacted anyone at the w*rk place.

I read in the papers that the trains were as usual mostly on time, no more than the usual number of breakdowns. The passengers never give even a passing thought to the maintanece crew, of any of the three shift's humans, running 24/7/365.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Keep w@rking
Lol
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Check out this thread: Avoiding a "retirement party"

I think Rambler (post #8) nailed it.
As I wrote in post #12 in that thread, I declined to have a retiremetn luncheon. There was a brief gathering at my desk in the afternoon where some coworkers gave me a few parting gifts including some cash ($160) they would have spent on my luncheon, a far better parting gift than any luncheon could have been.

Nobody walked me out, either, as I had to remember to turn in my ID card at the building's security desk after I passed through the exit turnstiles (needed the ID card to exit). That was a touching moment, the first of several as I made my last commute on the trains back home.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #20

I'm not a person who cares about big parties and celebrating everything. I skipped my own high school graduation. What was to celebrate? Just about anyone who tries can graduate HS. But for me retirement is different. It's a major life accomplishment to retire an any reasonable age, let alone retire early. Years and years of saving, investing, and planning. Years and years of putting up with nonsense meetings, supervisors who should've never gotten promoted, ect. I'm going to celebrate this one with a party.