Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We've toured Victoria, Vancouver and Seattle. Then we toured British Columbia and Nova Scotia as far as the roads went.

We loved the places and especially loved the people. But with 15% sales taxes and $12.99 per six pack for the cheapest beer, we don't know how people can afford to live in Canada.

And that was before the Canadian dollar has gone so low--tanking.

I look at HGTV television shows about purchasing houses in Toronto area with entry level homes at $650K. I wouldn't be caught dead living in those run down homes, as we could buy a comparable home for $65K--no kidding.

We'll just remain where the life is simple--in our fish camp on the Tennessee River.
Comparing a fish camp to Toronto is not the same, and Toronto is a big city so it's expensive to buy, like Chicago.

You are right, booze, smokes and gas is more expensive than here, but healthcare is pretty free. That's how they afford to live.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are considering moving back stateside (from Peru) for 5-7 years. We will wait until the little one (1.5 y/o) no longer needs a nanny. We have considered many places (downtown or close in city living) and will be going up in Oct to check out Denver. We are having a hard time accepting our QOL will decline as our cost's go up, The healthcare situation, General safety, Political environment, Racism, Food quality, etc.

The move is being triggered by a multitude of factors that are in my families best interests and I am prepared to make the sacrifice as I have enjoyed an amazing life so far and my father (98) tells me even when you are rich, life after 80 is boring regardless of location.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We've toured Victoria, Vancouver and Seattle. Then we toured British Columbia and Nova Scotia as far as the roads went.

We loved the places and especially loved the people. But with 15% sales taxes and $12.99 per six pack for the cheapest beer, we don't know how people can afford to live in Canada.

And that was before the Canadian dollar has gone so low--tanking.

I look at HGTV television shows about purchasing houses in Toronto area with entry level homes at $650K. I wouldn't be caught dead living in those run down homes, as we could buy a comparable home for $65K--no kidding.

We'll just remain where the life is simple--in our fish camp on the Tennessee River.
Then you won't want to come to California either (or Chicago/New York...many big cities). I'm sure there are lots of fishing camps in Canada that are 65K but it's all about location. And just because the CDN $$ goes lower doesn't mean that their prices increase to be on par with the US $. However it does make it cheaper to visit from the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Moving from CA to BC would probably not be much different in overall costs. Have you visited there, as perhaps your DW has false impressions about Canada.
Your Yankee dollars will go much farther up there right now 25%-30% more so it would be a cheap holiday to visit.
Her M&D live in Vancouver as did she while in High School so she knows. Biggest problem other than potential tax issues which are under debate in another thread is temperature and access. She's a city girl and places in and around Vancouver have become very expensive, not quite as much as around here but pretty close. I wouldn't want to live in the city and would love to get out of here because it's too crowded but that is less of an issue for her than me (I am a country boy at heart)