Anybody campervan?

Very nice!

I'm currently almost fulltiming in my motorhome but have contemplated something like yours eventually.

What do you do for bathroom/toilet use?

BrianB-
How do you think the size is? And about that pop top, are you pretty confident it will not leak over time?

Can you tell I'm getting into your project?

Very nice! Please share more pics and info when you can. We are still about a year or two out from probably doing the same (need to get rid of other toys) but trying to get ideas now. We rented 4 different camper and in Australia in the past and plan to rent a slightly larger one this winter in New Zealand to get a good feel of what’s important to us. We lived on a 27ft for 7 months traveling the ICW

Do you have holding tanks for water? Do you have ac on a generator? IMG_2300.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2300.JPG
    IMG_2300.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 74
Well done Sir.
NIce looking rig!
I camp hosted last year and three different Sprinter based camper vans showed up. Each a complete death trap. Glad to see one so well done.

Camper vans are really popular in Europe. Now that the missus is out of the picture, I am thinking about buying a used Ford Transit van (passenger version) and using it as a cheap camper to tour the US.

What kind of issues did you see?
Mostly nothing bolted down. All three were a decapitation waiting on a minor accident.
One couple actually drove the final 8 mile dirt road with a microwave oven sitting on a folding table. Neither the microwave or the table arrived intact.
One had an unvented propane heater.

One had an unvented propane heater.

I continue to be astonished at the number of people who die yearly from operating generators, gas or charcoal grills, fueled heaters, and the like inside a house, tent, or camper. Didn't everyone learn about carbon monoxide poisoning by elementary school? I sure did.

As long as kitchen and toilet is inside sounds great. We encountered so many mosquitoes in both Yellowstone and the Tetons that’ you could not be outside after 5pm. No one wanted to pee the dog:))

Looking good!Thanks for sharing BrianB and Kitesurfer2.

We had 2013 excursions in rental campervans. Green van was Cairns, Port Douglas, and points northeast Australia. VW van was used to navigate NZ South Island.
We hope to do something similar in North America.

Attachments

• DSCN0650.JPG
    DSCN0650.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0896.JPG
    DSCN0896.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 36
We had 2013 excursions in rental campervans. Green van was Cairns, Port Douglas, and points northeast Australia. VW van was used to navigate NZ South Island.
We hope to do something similar in North America.

Jucy is available on the USA.
https://www.jucyusa.com/our-vehicles/jucy-mini-rv-rental/

I have been to that Jucy site a few times. Looks like they added used sales now, too.
Thinking more of a used Ford Transit van, and looking for a conversion kit.

I'm unfamiliar with conversion kits. Could you elaborate?

I finally got off my lazy behind & took some photos of the interior. First two are "Day" mode, the next two are "Night" mode, and final one is "Cargo" mode with the entire bed unit removed. It comes out in less than a minute.

I'm still considering how to finish the interior walls. I'm also considering a new bed design but that will have to wait til next year. Additional storage would also be great.

We decided early on that we didn't want an inside kitchen because of the odors and likelihood of messes. The outdoor kitchen box sits on the receiver and swings around 180 degrees so it is under the awning, letting us cook outside in most weather.

Being able to use the van for cargo has been a real plus. This weekend we have to help a friend's daughter transport wedding decorations & materials to the wedding hall. A surprising amount can fit in the space!

Attachments

• Campervan-Day1.jpg
    Campervan-Day1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Campervan-Day2.jpg
    Campervan-Day2.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Campervan-Night.jpg
    Campervan-Night.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Campervan-Night2.jpg
    Campervan-Night2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 57
  • campervan-Cargo.jpg
    campervan-Cargo.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 57
Fantastic!

We've been using full-sized vans for camping for many years. We're on our third van now, a used '06 E-150 we got for $11k that had only 24,000 miles on it. It's tough finding used cargo vans with low miles! DH has built a couple different configurations for sleeping and windsurfing gear storage over the years. Love not having to rack gear on top, and really love sleeping on a full-sized bed with a cushy foam mattress!

We've looked at new vans several times, but haven't yet wanted to pry our wallets open to spring for one. Almost went for the Nissan NV cargo van, but DH doesn't like the way it looks with the truckish front end sticking out. Plus, we were disappointed to find out that it had less cargo space than our Savana, which seemed odd since the engine is out front in that big nose, instead of partly in the passenger compartment.

We probably would get a new van if Nissan would start selling the NV400 in the US:

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/nv400.html

Yeah, those lucky Europeans!

Instead, we get full sized leaf collectors, uh, I mean pickup trucks.

Oh, and SUVs. SUVs. More SUVs. AUVs. CUVs. something-somehting-Vs. Just don't call it a sedan or van for goodness sake.

Been looking at the Mercedes Sprinters in the US....lots of different options. The Hymer Active is similar to what you are looking at Lars. Roadtrek has some nice ones too.

Been looking at the Mercedes Sprinters in the US....lots of different options. The Hymer Active is similar to what you are looking at Lars. Roadtrek has some nice ones too.

Sprinters are quite nice, but are much bigger. What I find really appealing about the Marco Polo size is that it is first and foremost a day to day useable vehicle (and secondarily a camper). Sprinters are the opposite...

Back
Top Bottom