Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody campervan?
Old 08-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anybody campervan?

Hi all! Since our "repurposement" (my wife doesn't like the word retirement!) three years ago I've been working on this project in our garage. It keeps me out of trouble and we've had some awesome adventures with (we hope) many more to come.

Details of what I've done:

Base vehicle: 2015 Nissan NV200 SV small van. Engine 2.0 L with CVT transmission. Includes navigation system, Satellite radio and rear camera.

Pop Top: Electric pop top with wireless remote from Colorado Campervan. Includes dimmable LED ceiling lighting and multiple USB & utility outlets. Winter canvas package with additional insulation and three-layer windows.

Electrical: Renogy 100 Amp-Hour AGM deep-cycle battery. CTEK D250S dual-input charge controller. Nasa BM-1 Battery Monitor display. Alternator charging thru isolation relay. Giaride 100 W solar panel roof mounted.

Outside kitchen: Custom swing-away hitch with 48" Northern Tool drop-front truck utility box.

Awning: Carefree of Colorado "Freedom" 2.5 meter manual awning with LED lighting.

Bed / Storage: Custom slide-out dual cushion bed that converts to couch. Under bed storage for clothing drawers, Luggable Loo, bedding and lawn chairs.

And now the picture, taken at the NHRA Nationals in Brainerd MN a week ago:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NV200_Camper.jpg (388.1 KB, 196 views)
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Very nice!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's pretty cool!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! I think the greatest thing about ER is being able to take time to do things like I want them done. Some days I will just stare at a problem, think about how to solve it, do the work then realize I need to tear it out & start again. No problem!

A fellow vanner I met told me that a home-built camper is never finished. He's right but every time I add a new feature it just makes travelling more fun!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's what it looked like before the pop top, awning and kitchen were installed. We camped with it but the low roof and lack of storage made it less comfortable. Being able to stand up (7 ft ceiling height now) made a world of difference.

And yes, it fits through the Needles Eye Tunnel! Try doing that with a Class A or fifth wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Van Picture.jpg (328.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 08-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
A fellow vanner I met told me that a home-built camper is never finished. He's right but every time I add a new feature it just makes travelling more fun!
Yep, even us "store bought" RV owners seem to always be adding, modifying or upgrading something.

You are probably already well aware of this, but be sure to monitor the weight of all you add/carry and make sure it doesn't exceed the cargo capacity of your van shown on the label inside the drivers door.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been thinking of going to a CATS scale at a truck stop to get exact total and axle weights, but I'm not too worried. It has truck tires (48 psi) and is rated for 1500 lbs load. My best guess is we have about 750 lbs plus the two of us so we should be OK.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

BrianB,

That's very impressive and even inspiring. How did you choose that particular vehicle as a base?

And can you give us some idea of budget/costs to date?

Do you feel you are done for now or have other plans to improve it?
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #9

It does sound like you have more than enough capacity but getting a weight the next time you pass a CAT scale when loaded up and on the road isn't a bad idea.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah yes, the cost... The base van new was $21k. The total cost for materials and some work I had to have others do is about $10k. I try not to look at the cost too often, same as most other RV'ers!

One nice feature is that the entire bed unit unbolts and can be removed, so I can still use it as a cargo van when we need to move furniture or other large stuff.

It's my "daily driver" vehicle, and still fits in our garage
Old 08-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I seriously doubt my 6'6" body will fit in there comfortably for sleeping. One of the reasons it would be nice to be a foot shorter.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you have any pictures of the inside?
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very interesting. Would you share how did you setup the bed and storage.

Thanks.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry but I haven't taken "good" photos of the inside yet. The awning, pop top and kitchen were just installed last Spring and we've been on the go continuously since then.

The bed is based on this concept, a sliding slat base. I am thinking of changing to bunk beds with the upper unit hinged so it can drop down and make a couch back. Then if I'm travelling solo I can stealth camp with the pop top lowered, and if we are travelling together we still have standing room in "night" mode. The bed is 72 inches long by 44 inches wide, so it takes up almost the full width when open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van bed.jpg (83.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 08-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #15

Great setup. 44" wide is cozy for a couple though. DW doesn't like me that much..lol
Old 08-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #16

Very nice!

I use an SUV "tent" that hangs off the butt of my Honda Element. I love it and use it for solo trips and at the hunting camp (2-3 day stays). DW? No way!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Ah yes, the cost... The base van new was $21k. The total cost for materials and some work I had to have others do is about $10k. I try not to look at the cost too often, same as most other RV'ers!

One nice feature is that the entire bed unit unbolts and can be removed, so I can still use it as a cargo van when we need to move furniture or other large stuff.

It's my "daily driver" vehicle, and still fits in our garage
You did real good, this is 65 grand.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

You did.a nice.job. You have a serious travel rig that you can afford to drive.

I ran by my cousin's house Wednesday and he traded for a new Tiffin Phaeton bus that probably has 450-500 horsepower. Ouch!

We have a fifth wheel trailer that stays in the NE GA mountains. It is such a hassle to tow anywhere.

Good luck on your trips.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Very nicely done. When I was 20, I took a used Ford Econoline and installed a (used) gas fridge, cook top, portapotti and sink in addition to a bed and some cabinets and did one lap of the USA in 6 months. It was the time of my life.

I couldn't afford a pop top and that was the greatest drawback. It was great for stealth camping and just an all around economical way to travel.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:41 AM   #20

Well done.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote