Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #21

We love being home and have traveled a lot over the years with work and on vacations. Our plan in these first years of retirement is to travel to a location and live there for a month or more. Last year we drove to Colorado and lived in a house for a month, and we also drove to Canada and stayed in 2 different houses in Ontario. Our 6 week trip to England turned into 10 because of a bereavement but was still very enjoyable.

On each trip we have loved the feeling of getting home and getting back into our usual routine. I expect this pattern will continue until we get tired of it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
Even in this awful weather I am so happy not to have to get up to shovel and fight the traffic to the city it makes my day.
Around here, even if you don't need to leave home you still need to shovel. Local laws require you to shovel the sidewalk in front of your home within 24 hours of a snowfall or pay a rather high fee to have the city contractors do it. Also, the mail carriers are not required to deliver if the snow is not cleared and they don't. I am still looking forward to not having to drive in the snow, ever. That will be nice.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

When DH & I travel, we like 4-5 day trips, not extended ones. Part of that has to do with the critters we have - we don't like leaving them alone for long. DH is not much for travelling at all, and I prefer 2-3 day getaways. I don't think we'll do a lot of travelling when we're fully retired. We do live in an over-55 community and there are plenty of day trips. We do like those. But just hanging around at home works fine! My favorite thing is just having breakfast or lunch with friends.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of interesting replies here. As we were reminiscing the other day I think our happiest times in our 35 year marriage haven't been related to spending money or doing fabulous things. We've had some great trips but really like being home. We spent a couple of days doing a puzzle, read a lot, I sew and DH does some woodworking but for the most part nothing fabulous.
I think an awful lot of it is just not having to go to work. Every few days I think in the past year we have said "we're so lucky". In the past year we were lucky with our nest egg, not like people who retired and faced huge financial downturns- things have been pretty good for us financially which has helped.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Local laws require you to shovel the sidewalk in front of your home within 24 hours of a snowfall or pay a rather high fee to have the city contractors do it.
What's a sidewalk? ...
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love being in faraway places.

Hate traveling to and from them.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #27

Ms G. and I were lucky enough to chose the location of our last megacorp move. So we decided on a location that we thought we would retire to. After 8 years of big city life we ER'd and moved to a remote place within the same state.

I am a homebody, gee just shopping is a 2 hour round trip all day extravaganza. I have plenty of land to roam on, get quiet with, and enjoy the natural beauty of my homestead.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
When DH left work after 30 years of rotating shifts, weekends, holidays etc. as he was walking out the door someone said "so where are you going?"

He replied "home."
I can relate - 18 years of rotating shifts, weekends, holidays and so on. Working in the Fraud Section/Computer Crime was the only time in my life I've had a "normal" day work Mon. - Fri. job with weekends and holidays off.

During that time I did travel within the U.S. for training/teaching about 3-4 times a year and at the time that was enough for me. Although about four years ago I was the one who suggested "Hey, let's take $3k out of the bank, load up the car, and just head west 'til we hit the Pacific." DW didn't want to do it. Sigh. At the same time though, I never had an interest in living out of a suitcase most of the time.

But for the most part we are introverts, DW more so than me, and during the winter I have little interest in outside activities. She enjoys having all the free time she wants to spend with family (at this writing she is baby-sitting an 18-month-old and a four-year-old).

We don't have a 2nd home for the simple reason that we don't want one - one house is enough expense/work to maintain, and at least from my perspective it seems that many people with them spend half their vacation time maintaining it.

So I ended up getting a job, I enjoy taking day trips or occasional overnight trips, but for the most part there is plenty to do and see within a couple of hour's drive from here.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #29

I agree with this. Happiness is about finding the right balance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Perhaps some people that like to stay at home are depressed, but I suspect that many people who are constantly on the go are just fighting some other demon.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Love being in faraway places.

Hate traveling to and from them.
Agree totally. Doesn't stop us from travelling though. We love the excitment and always go first class. Agree it's very expensive. Usually costs us around $1,500-$2,000 per day all in.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
For a while did a lot of travel around USA for work.
Went no further than Cincinnati for ~15 years.
Actually did air travel in Dec '10 to be with a friend.
Really don't care for travel, but will endure it to meet certain people.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We spend a lot of money to have a home and yard that we love, and that keep us more than occupied.

If we could travel by Star Trek transporter, then we'd probably travel a good bit. But the sheer hassle of travel turns us completely off.

It is tiresome to be asked at work, "So, you were on leave? Where'd you go?" and see people's faces fall when I say, "Nowhere. Just stayed home, relaxed, caught up on stuff that needed doing." They simply can't reconcile my smiling face, with what they'd consider sheer boredom! Someone even said, "Oh, the dreaded 'staycation,' huh?" like I was looking for their sympathy

Amethyst
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If we could travel by Star Trek transporter, then we'd probably travel a good bit.
This made me laugh out loud! I have said that so many times!

I'm more of a homebody. I don't mind a couple of trips a year, but wherever I go, I'm always anxious to get back home.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
(snip)If we could travel by Star Trek transporter, then we'd probably travel a good bit. (snip)
All of us except Lt. Barclay.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #35

Given that losing my lousy and often sickening commute on the trains was the main reason for my ER 2 years ago, I had lost my desire to travel many years ago.

Furthermore, living on Long Island, to get off the island by car means dealing with traffic and the delays at the bridges and tunnels (I don't have EZ-Pass, of course). To get off the island by train means returning to the same lousy trains I was so glad to have abandoned. To get off the island by plane means dealing with the airports which I have no desire to deal with. The only major travel I do is with my dad and ladyfriend to my brother's place in MA, 200 miles away, using my dad's car which has EZ-Pass.

I have my local volunteer work which requires minimal travel and almost exclusively outside the rush hours. My local outside-the-house hobbies are in the evening so I stay out of the rush hour traffic. My ladyfriend lives very close by (walking distance), too. Meanwhile, my car spends most of its time in a heated garage.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #36

We have always travelled a lot over the years, in 2010 even though we went no-where I managed to take 18 flights and clock up 53,000 miles.

5 years ago I would have told you that the lifestyle of Billy and Akaisha was the direction we were heading.

2 years ago I scratched that plan, new plan was we would have a base and take off every 3 months for a 3 month trip to 1 location.

Today after getting back from Australia I have a totally new outlook and that is I don't really want to go anywhere. Whilst I enjoy the destination when I get there, travel is not fun but if I am going to do it there will have to be a certain level of travel involved. That is no economy class, business class has fallen off my screen and now first class is required. Allows you to skip to the front of line for check in, security and you don't have anyone sitting on top of you for a 14 hour flight. I need my space. At the end of the day I want to go back to a nice room to relax.

So our latest thinking is we might do 1 trip a year for a duration of 1 month. Luckily we have accum. enuf FF points to do 2 trips to Europe in First, one to Japan in First and 1 to Argentina in First so that will cover us for the first 4 years of retirement. If we don't have points to get us what we want we will stay home quite happily in our condo in Hawaii.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Given that losing my lousy and often sickening commute on the trains was the main reason for my ER 2 years ago, I had lost my desire to travel many years ago.
Do you mean that you picked up colds and flu and stuff from your exposure on the trains? I think something like this might have happened to my GF a few weeks ago. We were on a bus and some guy got on and immediately had a coughing fit, of course not bothering to cover his mouth. 3 or 4 days later, GF had pneumonia.

Ha
Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #38

DangerMouse: your stategy with FF points ia similar to ours. Agree it's impossible to fly economy more han a couple of hours. Use our points for 2-3 long trips per year(usually Europe or Asia). Still enjoy it but I can see that eventually once you have been just about everywhere, it could start to get tiresome. Our longer trips are usually 10-25 days in duration and often include a biking tour or perhaps a cruise. Doing Tuscany biking in May and Burma river cruise in Sept. Was supposed to do Viet Nam/ Cambodia/Thailand biking in April but they cancelled that trip.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #39

Let's see..... Do I want to stay home or travel to where its 75 and sunny?
But I will stay home in the summer.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

DW and I discussed travel today. We agreed there are always things competing for those spare dollars -- fix up the back yard deck, for example. This is weird coming from her as she's more emotional and I'm the one doing the responsible act.

We agreed that international travel is not all it's cracked up to be. Lots of myths. When we meet relatively well off friends the talk might turn to "what's new in your life?" So often this demands a mention of an "exotic" trip. It's a lifestyle and ego thing I guess. She's told friends we went to the canyonlands in Utah last spring and nobody's interested to hear any more. They're unimpressed. That means we must be on to something -- those geologic formations were fabulous and people come from all over the world to see them.

We live in a beautiful house in a highly desirable area of the country. It's hard to leave when I can do a run or walk in a great state park just out my backyard gate. The birds and assorted creatures provide a lot of entertainment.

A happy thought -- when we get older and stop most travel we can have dogs and cats because we don't have to board them.