Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

People say to me- "what's new." I usually say, not much. But I am not bored by this; on the contrary I am happy about it. What matters is not how you life sounds to others, but how it feels to you.

People sometimes say that you have to travel to see how the rest of the world thinks. Good luck! You are a tourist, usually with poor if any language skills and no connections who are going to be around for at most a month.

It takes much longer than that to get the feel of a new neighborhood in a city where you have lived your whole life.

My Swedish dance partner, married to an American and having spent at least 25 years here tells me she doesn't understand Americans. 25 years and she still is guessing what is going on! According to her, Swedes say what they mean, while Americans appear open but actually hide their intentions. Beats me, I are one!

I look at most non-business travel as consumption. If travel makes you feel better than other forms of consumption, do it. Otherwise, not much point.

I will go to Spain for language study fairly soon, and stay 2 months at least. After my GF retires we will likely go to Italy, as she is a native speaker and has some connections. If I can afford it maybe a museum focused trip to London, same to DC and NYC from time to time. And since I love gold, El Museo del Oro in Bogota.

Like others here I no longer enjoy the process of getting there, even by car. GF wants to visit Indian battlefields in our West, and I will try to work up some enthusiam for this. But overall I would rather just go down to Lake Washington and go swimming in the summer.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you mean that you picked up colds and flu and stuff from your exposure on the trains? I think something like this might have happened to my GF a few weeks ago. We were on a bus and some guy got on and immediately had a coughing fit, of course not bothering to cover his mouth. 3 or 4 days later, GF had pneumonia.

Ha
I did not refer to catching colds. I was referring to my often having to run for the train and being nauseous once I boarded it. Or the freezing cold days which also left me nauseous while waiting in the sometimes-heated waiting rooms on the platforms. Or those hot days in the summer when you could barely breathe on a train whose A/C was not working well, or in those underground platforms where the summer heat stuck around until October.

Then there were the mental annoyances all year round, mainly the horribly growing use of cell phones on the trains. The loud and lengthy conversations by the endless supply of rude passengers made what was a peaceful commute in the 1980s and most of the 1990s into a loud talkfest of inane and TMI conversations. I wrote the Long Island Rail Road several times over the years about this, begging them to create separate "quiet cars" to spare us riders from the obnoxious ones but it was to no avail. I am now very proud to be among those who have voted with their feet, being part of their lost riders.

Now you see why I referred to it as a sickening commute?

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

A lot of us have children that live far from where we live so unfortunately travel is a way of staying connected .
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've visited all the places we wanted to go. We visited the Celtic Lands, roamed Edinburgh, drank in the pubs in Ireland, wandered through the palaces and mosques in Istanbul, got just close enough to polar bears to take pictures, and marveled the penguins (whose poop is the color of whatever they ate at the time). We rode horses in Palo Duro Canyon and stood under the biggest Sequoia in the world. We've been to Vicksburg and Gettysburg as well as family reunions. We looked at the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia (surprised at how small it was) and watched the sun set in O'ahu. We looked up at the Rockies from Colorado Springs and understood why the song was written. We held the first newborn child of the first child in California. We are grateful for this amazing world.

Our preference now is to just stay at the ranch. As our grandson says "home is more better".
Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
We've visited all the places we wanted to go. We visited the Celtic Lands, roamed Edinburgh, drank in the pubs in Ireland, wandered through the palaces and mosques in Istanbul, got just close enough to polar bears to take pictures, and marveled the penguins (whose poop is the color of whatever they ate at the time). We rode horses in Palo Duro Canyon and stood under the biggest Sequoia in the world. We've been to Vicksburg and Gettysburg as well as family reunions. We looked at the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia (surprised at how small it was) and watched the sun set in O'ahu. We looked up at the Rockies from Colorado Springs and understood why the song was written. We held the first newborn child of the first child in California. We are grateful for this amazing world.

Our preference now is to just stay at the ranch. As our grandson says "home is more better".
Sounds like you covered it all!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
We agreed that international travel is not all it's cracked up to be. Lots of myths. When we meet relatively well off friends the talk might turn to "what's new in your life?" So often this demands a mention of an "exotic" trip. It's a lifestyle and ego thing I guess. She's told friends we went to the canyonlands in Utah last spring and nobody's interested to hear any more. They're unimpressed. That means we must be on to something -- those geologic formations were fabulous and people come from all over the world to see them.
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it's necessarily a lifestyle or ego thing to go somewhere that maybe considered more exotic. I actually think it comes down to the fact that people only really want to talk about themselves, they don't want to listen to other people. I fear the art of conversation is quickly dying as we all become more self-absorbed.

I left small town Australia 25 years ago and have travelled the world far and wide. In all my numerous trips back home no-one has so much as expressed an interest in seeing a photo or hearing what I have done. People are so much more into their own lives they don't care if I canoed down the Amazon River or hiked the Grand Canyon. They are more interested in what they watched on television last night.

Our attitude to our travel is it is for ourselves, it's not to impress anyone with what class of travel we went or how much we spent. For us it is the experience, knowing that when we are lying in our bed in the nursing home, we will have memories of sights we saw and things we did.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #47

For the most part I'm a homebody. My work involved very little travel and I didn't travel a whole lot for vacations either. As a result, I've seen very little of the US and am considering the RV life (either part-time or full-time) at some point in the next few years. If I do start RV'ing full-time, I think I may well only do it for a few years before the urge to have a permanent homestead kicks in again.

Nothing wrong with staying home if that's what you love.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #48

If I could be teletransported...... I would see all those places of your country I constantly read about in your novels. And meet some of you guys. Donīt worry, Iīve got enough means, I wonīt crash in your homes
Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I will go to Spain for language study fairly soon, and stay 2 months at least.
Ha
Spending more than 2 months will give you the opportunity to travel all over Spain
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #50

Travel's an interesting thing. In Paris a few years ago, I imagined that the groups of young people I saw on the streets standing round conversing and smoking were involved in heady philosophical and literary discussions. Truth is they were probably moaning about school, parents, and talking about which mall they were going to hang out in.

Sometimes when I travel it seems that I go to great expense to just sleep and eat somewhere else when I could just as happily be doing the same thing at home with a greater degree of comfort and far less expense. At other times, I bump into interesting people and see things that I wouldn't have seen had I stayed at home.

I think it's possible to be a very creative and successful traveler in your own city and your own neighborhood. If and when I travel, I hope to discover new things and new people. If I'm just going to sleep, eat and go on the computer, I might as well do that at home.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #51

Well put mouse. Ever notice how many of the posts here are disconnected. People talking about them selves mostly. I am certainly guilty of this, I think.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't like traveling in the sense it's usually understood as in going somewhere and then going home. However, I do like relocating, so every 2-4 years I feel like "getting out of here" and "set up shop" somewhere else. Consequentially, I try to keep my number of possessions to a minimum to make this very easy. It is said that "moving" is one of the most stressful things someone can do---not this one.

One more observation. For me travel is about the journey rather than the destination. Unfortunately, modern air travel has reduced the journey to the equivalent of sitting in a closet with a vacuum cleaner turned on for 10 hours. Perhaps this has something to do with my dislike of travel.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
................Unfortunately, modern air travel has reduced the journey to the equivalent of sitting in a closet with a vacuum cleaner turned on for 10 hours.........
Great summation. Maybe some smart airline will come up with an upgrade option between coach and first class. They could call it "Travel Classic".
Old 01-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Unfortunately, modern air travel has reduced the journey to the equivalent of sitting in a closet with a vacuum cleaner turned on for 10 hours. Perhaps this has something to do with my dislike of travel.
Long distance driving often feels similar, thanks to our freeway system.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it's necessarily a lifestyle or ego thing to go somewhere that maybe considered more exotic. I actually think it comes down to the fact that people only really want to talk about themselves, they don't want to listen to other people. I fear the art of conversation is quickly dying as we all become more self-absorbed. ...(snip)...
Well your certainly right about people having a difficult time putting on their "hearing ears". Maybe there was never an art of conversation? Sometimes I'm embarrassed to recall a conversation and realize I should have asked the other person what they thought. I would have learned a lot more.

So in the future, I'm going to listen to everything you write here Dangermouse!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Unfortunately, modern air travel has reduced the journey to the equivalent of sitting in a closet with a vacuum cleaner turned on for 10 hours.
I don't think that modern air travel was ever above that level, let alone reduced the journey. You could always ditch the civilian aircraft and stick to the military versions. Then it's like sitting in a metal dumpster that's being beaten by sledgehammers for 20 hours...

Don't get me started on ocean travel, either. I'd rather freeze on a C-130 jump seat than get to my destination via the "high seas".

Other than as a life metaphor, I'm not sure how far we'd have to regress our transportation mechanisms to get to the point where the journey was more important than the destination.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Other than as a life metaphor, I'm not sure how far we'd have to regress our transportation mechanisms to get to the point where the journey was more important than the destination.
Bicycles might do it
Old 01-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Bicycles might do it
One of our family legends is one of my great-great-grandfathers who got off the boat in 1880s NYC and couldn't find work.

So he walked to Pittsburgh, but didn't like the work there either.

Then he walked to Cincinnati and decided that the work there was acceptable to his standards.

I think his lesson was that after a journey like that, any destination will do...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it's necessarily a lifestyle or ego thing to go somewhere that maybe considered more exotic. I actually think it comes down to the fact that people only really want to talk about themselves, they don't want to listen to other people. I fear the art of conversation is quickly dying as we all become more self-absorbed.

I left small town Australia 25 years ago and have travelled the world far and wide. In all my numerous trips back home no-one has so much as expressed an interest in seeing a photo or hearing what I have done.
I wish we were neighbors, DangerMouse. DH and I have traveled a bunch, as have our friends, and I loved the evenings we got together and showed our old-fashioned slides and shared what we experienced. Now slides are out, none of us have anything that'll project our digital photos, and we don't travel as much. Either you're curious about the world, or you're not. Many are not, but some of us are! I can just feel my brain cells expanding (or something) when I struggle with a foreign language and figure out how to do things in a strange place.

That said, just being home is becoming nicer and nicer as I get older. I miss the travel and hope to do more, but I guess it's also good to be able to enjoy being home.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #60

We're not retired yet, I travel about half to two-thirds of my time, mostly international. We take home leave twice a year at home in Cali...about 2 weeks each. We also go to Hawaii for about a week, usually twice a year. I am on email and phone calls at least 2 hours each day (often much more than that) while away. DW also travels with me about one out of three or four of my work trips, and we'll stay the weekend to see the sights.

When I slow down in 2 years, I will travel twice a month from Cali to Asia during the warmer dryer months, and either buy or rent a condo/condotel in Hawaii for 2-4 months of California's wetter and colder months. After 1-3 years of a still working slower pace, we'll probably travel CONUS by car or RV/trailer, and spend a few weeks to a couple months in Hawaii, probably a couple times a year. We like Hawaii, but we also like Cali.

So, bottom line, we'll shift around a little, travel a little, but our home base will still be our Cali home base.

R