Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
To the OP.....at that time I was coming up to 55, and my late wife was 6 1/2 years younger......we found that the average RVer was a fair bit older than me......in your 40's this'll be more pronounced.
That's a good point, and I guess sort of like ER itself. I've found the same at the golf course on weekdays.

Just how social are most RV parks? I've seen a lot of RV's with outdoor kitchenettes and TV's build into the sides... is most time spent outdoors with just your family, or do neighbors tend to make friends and gather together?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We have an RV (an Airstream) and we love traveling in it! We just returned from eight weeks on the road and DW and I would have gladly remained on the road for a few more weeks except we had some engagements that brought us home for a few months.

RVing is not inexpensive but it also does not have to be expensive. We have enjoyed many different camping/overnight locations and a variety of services and have never paid $50 per night. In fact, when we're on the road our total expenses for the trip (gas, lodging, groceries, meals, sightseeing, etc.) has never exceeded $100/day. That's the cost for the trip and does not include any fixed expenses like insurance or other annual expenes.

As mentioned above, there are many good web sites with lots of useful information. My suggestion is to rent something to just get a feel for it. When it's time to buy... used is probably the way to go.

Yes, RVs may seem flimsy but as mentioned previously they have suspensions and the stabilizers may not have been in use when you walked up and down the hallway.

I met somebody recently that had good advice for RV buyers... buy what you want - the product that will suit your needs - don't buy what you think other people want/like, don't buy what your grandkids might want, don't buy what somebody suggested. Think about your needs and desires and find the right RV.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

We own an RV as well - Sunline Travel Trailer. We usually average about 60 days a year traveling and camping. Yes, it can be expensive. However, in contrast hotels, restaurants and airline tickets are also expensive. We love RVing - there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed, eating your own food and enjoying your house on wheels. This past summer we travel for a month from Florida to the Grand Canyon. Our AC functioned efficiently in New Mexico and Arizona's desert heat.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
That's a good point, and I guess sort of like ER itself. I've found the same at the golf course on weekdays.

Just how social are most RV parks? I've seen a lot of RV's with outdoor kitchenettes and TV's build into the sides... is most time spent outdoors with just your family, or do neighbors tend to make friends and gather together?
They can get pretty social, especially if it's seasonal and many regulars (mostly retirees) returning.

If it's a state park or similar, it tends to be more outdoor family get-togethers, unless an RV group shows up for a "rally".

I always enjoyed seeing the families having so much fun camping on the weekends - even if it meant I had to close all the RV windows to keep out the never-ending campfire smoke.

We did 5 years full-timing in our early 50s. We were usually the young-uns (except on the weekends). Most other RVers were standard retirement age - 65 to late 70s. That didn't bother us a bit - we still made friends.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That would be a 308RETS, right?

Very nice trailer, but as you say, a big/heavy one (35' long with a loaded weight of just under 10,000 lbs). What will you be pulling it with?
Correct. 308RETS. Sorry for the typo. Dry weight 7450, We'll be pulling her with low tanks at about 8200-8500#...more than I wanted to pull with my 2007 Tundra, 5.7L V8 w/tow package. Truck has 12,000 miles on it (bought it here while we lived in Japan, so it didn't see a lot of use). If I remember correctly, it is rated at 10,300 pounds, so we have a little leeway. DW has been informed that with the bigger rig, we will have to be careful with loading. I put 20# of clothing, 50# of bedding and towels in her today. This weekend we'll add her clothes and personal stuff plus some cooking gear. We intend to keep it ready to go except for food. All in all, I estimate 500-600# of gear, clothes, and food, 30 gal/250# of water, and 60# of propane. In the bed of the truck will be two bikes or 100# of firewood depending on the trip, and a couple folding chairs. In the cab, me, DW, and Echo, our Boston Terrier, and maybe an ice chest at 50-60#. So maybe 550# of payload on the truck (ex trailer tongue weight).

Equipment: Tekonsha P2 brake controller, Husky Centerline equalizing and sway control hitch.

Any advice?

R
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post

Equipment: Tekonsha P2 brake controller, Husky Centerline equalizing and sway control hitch.

Any advice?

R
Make sure you read the instructions for the weight distributing hitch and follow them exactly. If you do that, you should not have any problems with sway and your Tundra should tow that just fine. You will learn lots (through making mistakes like we did!) on your first few trips but it will be a blast. Congratulations on the new rig !
Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I would not want to hitch that RV to a "half-ton" pickup, towing capacity be damned. 550lbs + passengers, and a tongue weight of 1000lbs. (10% of total weight of RV) is too much for anything but a one-ton.

N B4 ReWahoo...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covbro View Post
This past summer we travel for a month from Florida to the Grand Canyon.
I am just now planning a 2 week camping trip from Chicago the the Grand Canyon for this July. We have a 2720 TrailManor trailor. I cannot wait!

We use a weight distributing hitch and the Tekonsha P2 and we can't even feel the trailer. Our trailer is a lightweight folding model so it is under 4000lb and around 6 feet high when towing. I would be a bit more nervous towing on mountain roads with a standard trailer.

Covbro, were there any stretches of road on your Grand Canyon trip that you felt should not be travelled with a trailer? Any advice on roads to avoid and great campgrounds would be appreciated.

Sorry for the threadjack!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I would not want to hitch that RV to a "half-ton" pickup, towing capacity be damned. 550lbs + passengers, and a tongue weight of 1000lbs. (10% of total weight of RV) is too much for anything but a one-ton.

N B4 ReWahoo...
+1
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
N B4 ReWahoo...
The one morning I sleep late....

Rambler, there are a number of weight ratings on a truck and it looks to me like you are focusing on your truck's towing (pulling) capacity only. The critical factor in towing - the limit that is almost always hit first - is your truck's payload capacity, and that's where I suspect you'll be over your truck's limits.

Take a look at the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker inside the driver door frame - sample below. You'll see a statement of the truck's payload capacity, which is the maximum weight the truck is engineered to carry (Note: the numbers include full fuel tanks and a 150 lb driver).

Jayco says the dry hitch wt of your trailer is 1,030. Since no one camps in an empty trailer, your hitch wt will be more - maybe by several hundred pounds if you aren't very careful in what you bring along, how full your propane and water tanks are, etc. Add in a few hundred pounds on the trailer tongue and 500 pounds of added passenger and cargo wt in the truck (don't forget that your weight-distributing hitch adds to the payload numbers) and you are approaching 2,000 lbs - and probably exceeding the payload limit of the truck. The only way to know for sure is take it to some CAT scales when you are all loaded up for a trip and spend $5 to get your rig weighed.

Sorry to rain on your parade with all this info but better you find out now rather than when you are heading down some steep mountain road.

Here's a link to a good website that helped me get educated on towing capacities: Tow Vehicle Sizing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TireLoadingSticker.jpg (53.8 KB, 2 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiringAt55 View Post
Don't be sorry, just open your own thread. It is still the same price.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Any advice?

R
Buy a bigger truck. It would scare the crap out of me to tow that size trailer with a half ton truck.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiringAt55 View Post
I am just now planning a 2 week camping trip from Chicago the the Grand Canyon for this July. We have a 2720 TrailManor trailor. I cannot wait!

We use a weight distributing hitch and the Tekonsha P2 and we can't even feel the trailer. Our trailer is a lightweight folding model so it is under 4000lb and around 6 feet high when towing. I would be a bit more nervous towing on mountain roads with a standard trailer.

Covbro, were there any stretches of road on your Grand Canyon trip that you felt should not be travelled with a trailer? Any advice on roads to avoid and great campgrounds would be appreciated.

We traveled on I-40 primarily. We camped a few days in Albuquerque, New Mexico at America RV Park. It's a very nice campground. We also camped a few days in Flagstaff, Arizona at J & H RV Park.

The mountains weren't too steep. We had to down shift the transmission a few times in order to climb and to descend a few steep mountain. Our tow vehicle is a 1997 Ford Expedition. The Expedition handled the mountains in New Mexico and Arizona quite well.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Buy a bigger truck. It would scare the crap out of me to tow that size trailer with a half ton truck.
++++ 1

If you insist on staying with the current truck, stay on level highways, and at least be sure you do NOT have "P" rated tires, and get at least Load range E tires with rims that can handle the side loads and extra tire pressure plus metal valve stems.

Bottom line, get a bigger truck.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Those tow ratings are deceptive and they never reflect real life. As others have pointed out that is a lot of trailer for that truck and you are most likely exceeding the GVWR. Will it do it, yes, would I do it, no. I've always had to keep my trailers less than 5000-6000# or so in order to stay within the limits of my truck which has similar ratings.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #36

Yup, looks like I screwed up with this one. I checked out the payload rating. 1475 pounds of passengers and cargo allowed, incl tongue weight. So, with me and DW clocking in at 350# fully dressed and sweating bullets, plus 1100# tongue weight dry, more with propane, a little water and provisions, and 100# or so of Husky Centerline hitch, I'm overweight. I was hoping to upgrade to an F-350 in a few years, but I guess I'll have to do it ASAP if I want to use the trailer. The only good news is that the Tundra only has 12k or so miles on it and will trade for about 17.5k...better than I was expecting.

Thanks to all for the warnings. Without them I may have attempted something stupid. I really do feel stupid, stupid, stupid right now though...

R
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #37

By the way, next week I will visit they dealer and give them a piece of my mind. I told them I was clueless about towing, a total newbie. I showed them the truck. Told them I didn't want to trade it in yet. They emphatically told me I had room to spare. I didn't know what to look for. Even though I had done some research, it was incomplete, and I feel they took advantage of that. I don't expect they will take the trailer back, nor is that what I really want. But I did want them to be honest with me. BTW, the salesman, the general manager, and the guy who took us thru the systems and hitching told us, emphatically, that this truck would have no problem with this trailer, even with me explaining "hills, mountains, cross country, etc". I'm not a happy camper...pun intended.

R
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #38

Quote:

Thanks to all for the warnings. Without them I may have attempted something stupid. I really do feel stupid, stupid, stupid right now though...

R
No reason to feel stupid. Your situation is very, very common due to the truck company marketing wars touting towing capacity while, by comparison, hiding payload capacity under the rug. Darn near criminal.

And don't forget the almost universal propensity for RV dealers to tell buyers "Yeah, your truck will pull it, no problem" no matter what the situation...

Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #39

Quote:
BTW, the salesman, the general manager, and the guy who took us thru the systems and hitching told us, emphatically, that this truck would have no problem with this trailer, even with me explaining "hills, mountains, cross country, etc".
I'd already hit the submit key on my previous post before reading this. It's an industry-wide disease...

Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget to throw in another 100# or so to cover the weight of the hitch itself!