Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The last two years, Mega firm gave us $100 gift cards to wine.com which I used in full. Worked fine but I'm not knowledgeable enough about wine to know good/bad or good deal/bad deal. Once I decided what to order though, the process was smooth in both instances. Quite satisfied.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #22

No, I just buy whatever box the grocery store has on sale....

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
A related question - has anyone tried some of the wine 'clubs' like the one from the Wall St. Journal (that I keep getting ads for in the mail)?
Not a direct answer and not a desire to derail a very interesting thread, but for my daughter's wedding gift my brother gave them a 1 year subscription for a beer of the month. They aren't beer drinkers so I took it and paid them the retail value. I like beer but hadn't had any in years (the yeast doesn't like me), but the first case was amazing, and over the year I discovered a dozen great beers I really enjoyed. A nice selection of wines of the month could lead to similar results.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
A friend introduced me to wtso.com but I haven't bought any from there yet.

I have bought from cameron hughes. They ship for free (ground) if you buy 12 bottles. Register for the email & wait - they have 20% off deals quite often. Their wines are usually very good.

Any other web sites with good product & prices (incl. shipping?) Please share!
We buy mainly through Wineaccess.com--focus on well priced with free shipping with cases, or for lesser amounts if higher priced wine. They offer the occasional splurge (1991 Burgundy from the Chateau last year . . .), but the focus is on the 18-30 price point per bottle. We've also copped a couple of "private" Napa lunch tastings through them for higher priced purchases, which we plan to use next fall. (A sure sign we've bought too much wine.)

We haven't liked the wines from Cam. Hughes as much, but some of our friends are in the same camp as you--including the couple that buys the most higher priced wines. Same with WTSO--I find it a pain to keep up with, and have had mixed luck. BUT, some of our friends swear by it.

Finally, although shipping isn't free and the price point is higher than WineAccess, we buy a lesser amount through JJBuckley. They can serve the insane high end buyers, but also have good prices on "entry" level Sauternes and Pinots every so often. <Kind of funky--they assign you a representative, who will email with "below their list" deals most days. Still, we've had good luck..

Steve
Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
A related question - has anyone tried some of the wine 'clubs' like the one from the Wall St. Journal (that I keep getting ads for in the mail)?
WSJ Wine had a Groupon special recently (maybe not Groupon, but one of their competitors), so I signed up with them. Was free shipping, and came to like $8/bottle for the case. My only beef is that you have to call them to tell them to take you out of the automatic wine club membership - otherwise, you pay for a case delivered every quarter, without free shipping.

I've had some of the WSJ wine - it's fairly good, but I already have enough in my wine rack to last a while, and I am fine picking up some deals at the end of the year from a very good local wine store for $7-$12/bottle on clearance.

Same deal with some other wine club that offered AA airline miles (needed to have activity in my account every 18 months to keep the miles from expiring, so perfect excuse to order a case at just $7/bottle with shipping).
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am a member of the Crush Club at Tinhorn Creek and today I had a case of this delivered (free shipping, discounted price for members). Am enjoying a glass now. It's gooooood. Cheers!

Tinhorn - Blog - Our New Oldfield Series Wine is...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #27

I have never ordered any wine.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have never ordered any wine.
Me either, but then I don't drink any.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Some companies offer good discounts and/or shipping deals for wine around Valentine's day - so stay alert!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

I get my wine from WTSO (wines till sold out) very good, I have had some great deals and free delivery. I get quite a good variety.

Check it out WTSO.COM
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

We also buy from Cameron Hughes once in a while. Decent prices and usually can find a coupon for 15 or 20% off.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have been making our own wine for about 5 years. It's a great hobby that even saves you money. We began making wine kits and progressed on to making wine with grapes & other assorted fruits. We have thoroughly enjoyed making wine, plus it makes great gifts for family & friends. But beware... you can easily turn your basement into a wine making laboratory..... which will lead to homebrew beer too!!! Of course the beer making always brings the boys back home to refill their growlers. One can never have too many hobbies as retirement begins!!!! If I can help anyone with these adventures, feel free to drop me a PM.

I'm not retiring from life… just a job.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

I can second the recommendation for WTSO. I use them frequently, and I have never had an issue. They nearly always offer free shipping based on a minimum quantity. I have a couple of friends that like the same types of wines, so when the quantity is too high for me individually, we all go in together and share.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

One Word: Barclays
Free shipping and cases cost anywhere from under $100 (free shipping) on up. Their South Africa wines go on sale sometimes for $125 or so and is some of the best wine I have EVER had...just ordered their new french bordeaux plus a case of their Calif wine which apparently has improved...$179 for a case of the french and $97 for the Calif wine, free shipping and it comes to the house, no hauling. I highly recommend you check out their website.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #35
Confused about dryer sheets

Unfortunately I live in a state that doesn't allow it.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Regarding living in a state that doesn't allow, my state is like that too. SO Barclay's uses a "private courier service" (read: UPS!) and that is how they get around it. I would bet almost anything that if you contact them, they can ship to you that way...free shipping too. Our two cases arrived yesterday, one was a french bordeaux, pretty tasty and another was a combo of white and reds from Napa...haven't broke into that one yet.