Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else order their wine?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone else order their wine?

Interstate agreements on shipping wine have progressed to the point where it's relatively easy to order wine on-line and have it shipped directly to your home - depending on your state of residence, of course. When we toured WA wine country in 2008, it really wasn't an option for us to order from home, but by 2011, almost every winery we visited was set up to ship wine directly to TX customers.

A couple of my favorite winery's emailed me their "Cyber Monday" specials recently, so I ordered some from one of them. These are wines/labels I will never see in a TX store - the TX distributors simply don't carry them.

Just wondering if anyone else takes advantage of this new consumer benefit.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes we do. It's a lot easier to have wine shipped now that we live in CA. Still, shipping costs are sometimes so high that a road trip to Napa is more economical.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only way to go for us--Tennessee has limited wine buying options on the ground (I despair when I am reminded of how nice it is to buy wines at Costco in other states!). Although we have very tight restrictions on shipping, one can work around many of them and technically remain in legal compliance.

Since August, we've had 20 cases delivered to our various addresses, which has mostly topped our cellar off.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We did that for about 10 years through a company that would send 2 bottles of the same varietal every month. They were almost all smaller California vineyards or wineries or whatever you call it. There was a sheet that described the wine, what to look for, taste for or smell for and it was a lot of fun. That company quit the business because they couldn't continue to provide quality wines and shipping at the prices they wanted to maintain. We use Total Wine now if we want something different. But I did like trying different ones every month.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We spent 4 days (bike) touring medium and small vineyards in Napa a few years ago, few who distribute much beyond regional. We've been ordering special occasion wines from some of them since 2005. However, the selection in Chicago is outstanding as you might imagine, used to love Sam's Wine Warehouse before Binny's bought them out (though it's still pretty good at that location).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We had wine shipped to IL decades ago - no problems. Some states have some very funny liquor laws, from what I understand, IL has very 'funny' distribution laws.

But when you add the shipping, the price didn't make sense for us. We have good liquor stores nearby, with good prices. You can do OK for wine, and a limited selection of beer at Costco & Trader Joes.

As shipping increased, and wine prices/selection improved, we went from a "Wine of the Month" club, to every other month, to once a quarter (roughly same # of bottles/year, just fewer shipments), to dropping it.

PS: Must remember to include liquor laws in any move decisions!

-ERD50
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interstate agreements on shipping wine have progressed to the point where it's relatively easy to order wine on-line and have it shipped directly to your home - depending on your state of residence, of course. When we toured WA wine country in 2008, it really wasn't an option for us to order from home, but by 2011, almost every winery we visited was set up to ship wine directly to TX customers.

A couple of my favorite winery's emailed me their "Cyber Monday" specials recently, so I ordered some from one of them. These are wines/labels I will never see in a TX store - the TX distributors simply don't carry them.

Just wondering if anyone else takes advantage of this new consumer benefit.
Amazon is shipping wine now to 12 states. Not Texas, but if they allow it I'm sure it is only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Sometimes we do. It's a lot easier to have wine shipped now that we live in CA. Still, shipping costs are sometimes so high that a road trip to Napa is more economical.
Let's see. 1) Retired 2) Live driving distance from Napa. Sure is one answer for "What do you do in retirement? Anytime you need a house sitter, don't hesitate to call.

Costco sells wine where we shop and there is a large chain with good prices and excellent selections - more than enough options for us.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Let's see. 1) Retired 2) Live driving distance from Napa. Sure is one answer for "What do you do in retirement? Anytime you need a house sitter, don't hesitate to call.

I did order a case from one of our favorite vineyards over the holiday weekend. They had a $0.01 shipping holiday special.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
gone traveling

Closest Cosco is over 60 miles away, so we can't get any bargains there, and they don't sell any wine, anyway.

In our state you cannot buy wine/spirits/beer from other than a state outlet, be it a beer distributor (with a state license) or wine/spirits from a "State Store" which collects all the taxes/profits that go into the state coffers.

The exception is that you can purchase from a local winery (we have several in our area). However, you are limited to only their product - plus you are still paying sales tax (6%). At least you don't have to pay the 30% on wine charged at the State Store.

Lucky I/DW don't drink that much ...
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #10

A related question - has anyone tried some of the wine 'clubs' like the one from the Wall St. Journal (that I keep getting ads for in the mail)?
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

I did order a case from one of our favorite vineyards over the holiday weekend. They had a $0.01 shipping holiday special.
The deal I used was the free ground shipping for purchases totaling $150 or more. Otherwise the shipping for a case would have been $37.

Here in south TX, I can really only order wine from late Nov through Feb, otherwise it gets "cooked" on the way here or on delivery day.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't have to go far to get a decent bottle of wine in my neighbourhood, and I only buy what I sample and enjoy.

The Westside Winetrail
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I always order my my wine otherwise how do you get the bartender to pour it ?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I don't have to go far to get a decent bottle of wine in my neighbourhood, and I only buy what I sample and enjoy.

The Westside Winetrail
Some very nice Canadians brought me a bottle of wine from the Okanagan area last year.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

For some wines the DW likes I have to order out. Waiting for a case now and I ordered a couple of bottles of my favorite single malt just for good measure. South Georgia is not noted for its wine selection but at least they will let us ship it in!!

T-bird
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Some very nice Canadians brought me a bottle of wine from the Okanogan area last year.
You're welcome to come and try it out in person! We have over 200 wineries in the valley. Interestingly the name is Okanogan in Washington State and Okanagan in British Columbia. (you say tomayto, I say tomahto....)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You're welcome to come and try it out in person! We have over 200 wineries in the valley. Interestingly the name is Okanogan in Washington State and Okanagan in British Columbia. (you say tomayto, I say tomahto....)
Thanks, I never noticed the spelling difference. But I have read all about the British Columbia wineries!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
In our state you cannot buy wine/spirits/beer from other than a state outlet, be it a beer distributor (with a state license) or wine/spirits from a "State Store" which collects all the taxes/profits that go into the state coffers.
This drove me nuts when I lived in suburban Philly. And most of my wine-snob friends to. They'd drive to NJ or Delaware - not just for prices - but for selection.

I'd drive to NJ because the state stores had crappy tequila. You know - the stuff that has good commercials, but isn't good for sipping.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually, they are both said O ka nah-gan. I lived In Omak. Your post is the first I ever knew that there was anything spelled Okanogin.

Still, my mail managed to find me.

Ha
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A friend introduced me to wtso.com but I haven't bought any from there yet.

I have bought from cameron hughes. They ship for free (ground) if you buy 12 bottles. Register for the email & wait - they have 20% off deals quite often. Their wines are usually very good.

Any other web sites with good product & prices (incl. shipping?) Please share!

While we get a great selection at good prices in Denver, nothing beats having a case delivered to your door!