Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone ER'd in the St. Augustine Florida Area
Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone ER'd in the St. Augustine Florida Area

We are looking at homes in the St. Augustine Florida area. Anyone have any direct experience, COL, Taxes etc.

Thanks

SWR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone ER'd in the St. Augustine Florida Area
Old 05-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just curious...have you been to FLA for an extended period of time during the summer months?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Just curious...have you been to FLA for an extended period of time during the summer months?
But it's a dry heat!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
But it's a dry heat!
What part of FLA you been to Ldubya?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Just came back from a business trip near the Cape, the only time I wasn't sweating was in the shower! :P
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #6

Thought so
Old 05-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I assume that if SWR didn't like warm (hot) weather, he wouldn't be looking to move to Florida, but St. Augustine is about 150 miles north of the Cape and a little cooler, but it still gets pretty hot in the summer. I moved to Cocoa Beach (just south of the Cape) from NC and find that the weather here is no hotter in the summer. The summer season is a little longer, but with the coastal breezes it's bearable and the evenings are great (Not to mention it's in the 70s here, when it's freezing most other places ).

As far as the question that SWR actually asked, as I said, we live a bit south, but we have good friends in St. Augustine.

Property taxes in Florida tend to be pretty high because there is no income tax, but residents get a $25,000 reduction in 'tax value' and are protected from increases greater than 3%. Other than housing, which has increased a lot in the last couple of years, the COL isn't bad.

The only thing I can think of that is much higher than NC is car insurance. It's about 20% higher, I'm not sure why. It is a 'no fault' state. Gas is running about 2.159 for regular.

The state sales tax is 6%, but counties can add more. It's 7% here, but there is no tax on food. The full sales tax is charged on vehicles, rvs, etc. with no cap, so it's better to buy them before moving to FL if possible. However, you have to own them for 6 months before moving here.

I would be happy to ask our friends about any specific questions you have about St. Augustine.

Beachbumz

Old 05-18-2005, 05:12 AM   #8

Beachbumz,

Keep the info coming. We are planning a trip down in July. Looking outside of Vero Beach. Not sure where exactly but we will probably be there for a week or two.

Wave to my parents who are vacationing in Cocoa Beach this week. They are the very, very white people on the beach with the bathing suits from the 50's.

BUM 8)
Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We have not spent too much time in Florida but a lot in the Caribbean, so we are used to the heat. Although we do plan on visiting family in Canada during the really hot months. We like the idea of North East Florida for 2 reasons.

1) Based on research and some direct input (not much as yet, hence this message) The climate is a little milder due to the Northerly local.

2) They are building soooo many new homes in the JAX, St Augustine and Palm Coast areas that Houses are still reasonable. $250k ish for a nice home in what appears to be a nice area.

Also, most states have sales tax on the whole value of a car, used or or new.

We plan on visiting in Late June and July, purposely in the hot months to experience it first hand. Also we will stay for a month or 2 to get a good idea and have a look around. We really need to find out where the good and bad areas are and go see them for ourselves. 2 months should do it.

SWR
Old 05-18-2005, 07:38 AM   #10

Bum,
While your going down 95 take a look at an area called Viera.* It's about 40 or 50 miles north of Vero, very close to Cocca.* They have been building it up for the last few years even has it's own new mall.* You will see the signs on 95 for Viera.* If your going south on 95 the first exit if Fisk and then the next one if Wickham Road, you can use either one.
I live in NY and bought a home in Viera 2 years ago and glad I did.* The prices have risen big time although I'm not sure that's always a good thing.* As the prices rise so does everything else, insurance, taxes, and so on.* I plan on moving down next year with any luck.*
Can't wait to sit under that Palm tree.
Regards,
JOE
Old 05-18-2005, 07:41 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

ShokWaveRider,

St. Augustine is a fine place. *The pace is slow and it is not quite as crowded as other areas of Florida. *Has nice historical feel and Jacksonville is close for city entertainment and flights. *As far as the weather goes, people can get used to anything over time. *Yeah it may be hot but it is nice to wear flip flops year round. *Most people move to Florida and don't give it enough time. *End up moving away after a year or two. *You are correct about the housing data. *May hinder some appreciation if the supply is too heavy but if the location is nice then it won't matter. *I suppose you may not care about the appreciation too much. * *
Old 05-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Beachbumz,

Keep the info coming. We are planning a trip down in July. Looking outside of Vero Beach. Not sure where exactly but we will probably be there for a week or two.

Wave to my parents who are vacationing in Cocoa Beach this week. They are the very, very white people on the beach with the bathing suits from the 50's.

BUM 8)
Hi Bum!
Vero Beach is a very nice place also, I think you will like the area. I would not want to be much south of there though. I agree with 73ss454 that Viera is a nice place also. It is a few miles inland and basically a part of Melbourne (if you look for info on it). Melbourne beach is just a few miles away.

I'll be on the look out for your parents, although you have only narrowed the field by about 50%.*

Beachbumz
Old 05-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Also, most states have sales tax on the whole value of a car, used or or new.
My experience is limited to NC on that issue and that's what I was comparing to. I found this out when I was window shopping a $200K rv and was told the sales tax would be $12,000* .

Quote:
We plan on visiting in Late June and July, purposely in the hot months to experience it first hand. Also we will stay for a month or 2 to get a good idea and have a look around. We really need to find out where the good and bad areas are and go see them for ourselves. 2 months should do it.
July, August and September are the worst months for the heat. Also, if you are looking for negatives, do a google on 'love bugs' in Florida.

I personally would not want to live in Jacksonville proper, but I do like the fact that a big city would be close by. St. Augustine, by far, is the better choice imho, but I'm sure there are some nice areas in J-ville. You may want to check out the World Golf Village area in St. Augustine, although I think the prices are somewhat higher. This area is great and it is still in the early stages of developement. There is a huge outlet mall close by. Also, historic St. Augustine, with lots of nice restaurant/bars and shops,* and St. Augustine beach are just a short drive away.

Beachbumz* 8)
Old 05-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think St. Johns County in general has a good rep. As well as Clay county. I am also going to be looking in the Palm Coast Area while I am there. I am tempted to buy a new home in a new area and go with it as they are so competitively priced. Also the new code standards on home with respect to the last few years of weather is encouraging. Anyone know what home insurance is like for homes? The Northeast seems to only get the tail end of the storms, so I am hoping it is reasonable.

SWR
Old 05-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The good news is you have three mediocre to bad football teams to watch, and if those dont horrify you enough, the saints arent far away either!

(ducking the crawfish bucket Unclemick just threw cross-country...)

[and yeah, yeah, yeah...aint no good ones here in northern CA either...and its rather disgusting how far the mighty have fallen...at least I'm a born and raised New Englander and the Pats...finally...thank god finally...do not suck.]
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:42 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually live in Jax (about 5 min. from the beach.)* While it has really changed over the last 10 years, and not always for the better, it is still nicer than many of the cities I have been to.* I am looking to move out of Duval county though... probably to Clay county.

St. Augustine is also very nice.* Much slower pace which is good.

I've lived in FL my entire life & I'm still not adjusted to the heat... (what's dry heat)* *:P

-Jay

Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Harumph!

Th and my durn sister - one of the slight downsides of Football season. Hey! look how long Boston waited in baseball. Some things take patience - although
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Don't know about about Florida - this morning when 72 degrees climbs to 87 this afternoon, the 93% humidity will drop to a 'dry' 80 something out here in the LA swamp.

Dry heat?

Heh, heh, heh, heh.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dry heat - we were in Las Vegas in August 2 years ago, we stepped out of our air conditioned travel trailer to go to the hotel nearby and it was like opening the oven (think holiday turkey) and walking in.
artist59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

70 and rainy the last two days. We've had about 9 days of rain in May this year. Average is two. In the last 10 years I dont think I've seen more than a couple of years with more than 1. Into the 90's tomorrow and on until sometime in October. And its a VERY dry heat, our humidity will run between 10 and 20% tops until the rains start sometime between october and december.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote