Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone ever do the math on the economy of an RV vs. a motel?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Jeb-NY
Who makes the 8 ft travel trailers you buy? I found that I don't even need all the conviences I have in the Casita (microwave; indoor shower & toilet - I use the campground facilities). So I might be interested in what you have in the future.
Thanks
On a related subject (to me, anyway ) does anyone know what SUV or wagon might be best for a 5'5" girl and a German shepherd (and a shotgun) who might want to occasionally sleep in it? I'm talking about someone who's more interested in seeing great places, not wanting extra hassles, can sleep anywhere, and is very flexible. (Just want an outlet to plug in something to boil water for tea.)

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I'd be spending little time in the RV/camper and don't want the worries of one. Motels are part of the plan too.

kate
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I'd be spending little time in the RV/camper and don't want the worries of one. Motels are part of the plan too.

kate
Try something like this... But buy used and sell when it is out of your system. http://www.roadtrek.com/Model.aspx?ModelID=22&YearID=7
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On a related subject (to me, anyway ) does anyone know what SUV or wagon might be best for a 5'5" girl and a German shepherd (and a shotgun) who might want to occasionally sleep in it?
Kate, a friend of mine lived in his old Volvo 240 D wagon for over a year in Seattle. He had no dog, and substituted a Glock for a shotgun, but he did fine. He was working at a federal job- he used a gym for hygiene, shaving and dressing, etc. Mostly ate out, took weekend trips top Eastern WA or the mountains from time to time.

But he is kind of a weird guy, and didn't need some comforts that most of us might want!

Ha
Old 03-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Kate,
It all depends upon what you want to spend and how you want to travel -

The simpleist is a pick up or SUV and tent camping - use the RV park's facilities

A step up is a pick up/SUV with a pop up camper

Next step a small travel trailer - some just have beds and some storage others with shower/toilet beds and kitchen like mine - casita
Old 03-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #25

My inclination is to go with an SUV and my collection of tents. (I'm a diehard hiker.) I'm also thinking of trading in my Honda Accord and making the SUV my everyday vehicle too. I walk more than I drive. But I'd probably sleep in the SUV and use the tent for meals and bug-free lounging with my dog after a hike. I'm trying to make the smallest change, because I feel pretty sure it will be good enough.

Thanks for the suggestions!

kate
Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Take a look at pop up campers
http://www.mikebentley.com/camping/popup.htm

There are alot of them out there and cheap if you buy used.

I think they are a step up from tent camping. They offer a little more comfort on a long trip. Also check out some RV parks in national parks.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #27

This is a really stupid question, but could someone with an SUV, and one of those tents that attaches to the back, use an RV park in the national parks? Or do they mean a certain type of vehicle and no one else?

P.S. Can my dog come?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
This is a really stupid question, but could someone with an SUV, and one of those tents that attaches to the back, use an RV park in the national parks? Or do they mean a certain type of vehicle and no one else?
Yes, you can camp with a tent, trailer, RV, or camper in the national parks. There is
one campground in Yellowstone that requires a hard sided RV due to bear
activity. Other limitations are if you have a RV that is too big, you might have
trouble fitting in a space in some parks.

We just bought a used travel trailer and will pick it up today. Stepping up from a
tent trailer that we used to just sleep in. Did all the cooking outdoors. This will
be nice when the weather is cold, raining or snowing. Not doing it to save money,
that's for sure. It will be a lot more comfy. We get up early to take photos and
are out all day. Will be nice to come back to the trailer. We have done a lot of
climbing and backpacking and are ready for the trailer for longer trips. May still
do some backpacking, too. Got a 2004 Arctic Fox 22H
skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

[quote=kate ]

P.S. Can my dog come?

Dogs are not allowed on trails in the national parks. You can bring your dog
but he would have to stay in your vehicle while you are hiking or touring the sites.
(dogs and wildlife don't mix well)

Old 03-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Kate, don't know your budget for this but be real sure before you use an SUV to meet this goal.We own a great little 22 foot class B RV, based on a Sprinter diesel chassis (22mpg). I would really miss the ability to cook, clean up, store everything I might conceivable need, stand, pee without having to navigate a park road in the pitch black night at 11 pm, climate control and a hundred other things.

An SUV sounds good but may disappoint. Just some thoughts. Maybe rent an SUV and try it for a couple of weekends before you decide.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

We are camping in the Davy Crocket National Forest right now with our rv and dog. Dogs are ok on the trails if on leash.

We view our RV as a luxury.

Kate, look at a sportsmobile as an option. You can chose different van bodies, even the sprinter like Rich has, and load it with as much or as little as you want in options. We just looked at someone's Sprinter Sportsmobile in this park and it is sweet. www.sportsmobile.com

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

We considered the sportsmobile, too. They are very nice. Have met some people
in the parks who drive them and they love it. Also checked out the numerous
camper vans which can work well. Decided the travel trailer would work best for us. We can use the pick up truck when not traveling. Don't have to maintain
another engine on an RV. And we needed more storage space than the vans
offered us. It's all a trade off. People need to decide what they will use it for
and what works best for them. It's wonderful to be in the woods with the
beautiful scenery and wildlife. And if you don't like your neighbors, just move
down the road.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Kate....

I am the very happy owner of an Airstream Bambi trailer. I absolutely LOVE it!
One of the considerations for my choice in Airstream is the quality and resale. There are 75 year old Airstreams out there! If you buy a used one there is no depreciation, but would most likely need alot of elbow grease...and becomes a 'hobby' in itself. Think car shows and the enthusiasts here. I would suggest that if anyone were considering the lifestyle to join Airstreamforums.com a forum much like this one where owners support each other and the wealth of information is priceless.

I've found a few cute trailers for a gal to have GREAT FUN with.... Google 'Tab trailers'...I've seen a few around and they are roomy, aerodynamic and small enough to be hauled by a regular car. I believe they weigh in the neighborhood of 1100 lbs. Easily parked and can fit in your garage for storage so you can decrease your overhead.

Another brand of very cute trailer that also holds their value well is the Shasta trailer.
There's a group of likeminded women, who travel alot together and go 'flyfishing' and their theme ...well ... think 'Cowgirl'...they have a website sistersonthefly.com
Most of them buy vintage Shastas and redecorate them how they please. I believe that you can pick up a used one from $1500 to a refurbished one around $6000.

I hope this helps, there are ways to keep the budget down and the fun better than ever!
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

You just cannot justify the rv, so we don't try. Anyone want to loan me their credit card when we go to fill up our 150 gallon diesel tank...

btw...$125 per night in the keys

Dave
Old 03-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

OK - I'm pretty late to the discussion.

In most cases, there is no way to economically justify RVing over other modes of travel. RVs are a luxury. The exceptions are:
* buying an RV that has a very high resale value - Casitas are like this. Maybe Lazydays and Bornfrees are too.
* buying a super cheap RV - either a really old one or getting a super great deal.

But saving money is not really the point.

Before we bought an RV, we spent at least a couple of years doing the road trip/motel thing. After 9/11 it became impractical to fly places with all our camera gear, and we didn't mind the slower exploratory pace of road travel. But I tell you, it got old FAST! I hated the "foreign" sterile rooms, the weird smells, hauling stuff to and from the car (major hassle!), worrying about where the car was parked with respect to the room. I hated having to find places to eat all the time (for every meal!), and often these were really substandard (we're picky eaters). Packing and unpacking often - yuck! Worrying about your stuff either in the car or in the motel room and when housekeeping might show up. I really hated it. It didn't matter how "nice" the hotel was - that ultimately didn't really make a difference.

RVing is all about the style of travel. Your own bed! Your own kitchen and food. Your own bathroom at "pit stops". You have your own kitchen and dining room when you pull off the side of the road to take a break. Not having to PACK and UNPACK - that is a super biggie!!!. No sterile rooms with weird smells, uncomfortable beds with thin sheets, thin scratchy towels, and "free" breakfasts of questionable value. And most of all, being able to park your home/condo in so many really awesome places - many out in the middle of nowhere (which we like). I'm sure we wouldn't bother to own an RV if there weren't so many awesome places to camp and enjoy. For a couple who are avid nature photographers, it's really a dream lifestyle.

Of course, once you OWN an RV it seems like a really cheap way to travel, because camping fees can be low, and you are able to carry and prep your own food. Right now we're staying at Falcon State Park on the TX/Mexico border, and camping fees (water plus 50 amp electric) are a whopping $12 a night! That's hard to beat. And it's a beautiful remote park with lots of desert scrub currently in bloom - and lots of wildlife, especially birds.

Oh, another lovely thing about RV style travel is that the community is pretty neat. We visit with our neighbors a lot more than we ever did with motel travel, and more than we did even in our old suburb. Most RVers are out having fun, and it's a relaxed, take-it-easy, friendly environment. There are lots of retirees, and we like that. I feel safer in most campgrounds we stay in than I ever did in a hotel/motel. You really do get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Something that a motel does not protect you from unless you go stay in a resort.

So, yes, it's all about the lifestyle. Our RV was quite expensive but we were buying our "dream travel lifestyle" so it was worth the $$$ for us (what are you saving it for?). Because we're fulltime RVers, we eliminated any expenses and hassle associated with owning a house/property. That makes a big financial improvement compared to owning both, but there is no knocking doing both if you can afford it!

Audrey
Old 03-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #36

Wow!!!

I know how I will be spending the rest of St. Paddy's Day!!!

Thanks for all the info!!!!!!! It's tremendous.

Big decision will be whether to own two vehicles. If one, likely the tab trailer with my Honda. Other possiblity is the Sportsmobile, and no other vehicle. I don't drive a lot. Might be best to rent a small car when I think I need one. (Or rent the Sportsmobile!)

Went all of a sudden from the SUV idea to something else!!! It sure looks like fun!!

I really want to stick to one vehicle and one set of ongoing bills, like insurance.

Thanks again!!

kate
Old 03-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
RVing is all about the style of travel. Your own bed! Your own kitchen and food. Your own bathroom at "pit stops". You have your own kitchen and dining room when you pull off the side of the road to take a break. ... For a couple who are avid nature photographers, it's really a dream lifestyle.

Oh, another lovely thing about RV style travel is that the community is pretty neat.
I used to do a lot of car/tent camping in the National Parks in the 60s and the community aspects appealed to me. I saw lots of retirees who appeared to be thoroughly enjoying themselves with no deadline to return to school I always thought that would be something I would like when I retired. Now that I am there I am more into comfort than I would have anticipated so I would need a pretty decent sized RV. But I worry that finding good spots would be difficult. Whenever I travel in nice oceanfront areas and the like, the RV parks look like K-Mart parking lots.

Have you already talked about this aspect in other threads? If so, can you give me a link? If not, how about commenting on the convenience, ease of getting good camping spots, and such issues?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

The most fun I've ever had away from home has been in a tent.

This started out of necessity since I couldn't afford anything else, some other broke friends & I would pack a tent in a boat and head to Canada to fish for a week. $100 later we'd come home with $200 worth of fish each.

Now, each of us could buy our own lodge, but we still choose to tent because we think it's more fun.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #39

I know what you mean about being right outdoors with friends and a tent.

After spending the last several hours learning all about Airstream travel trailers, Sportsmobiles, and tab trailers, I'm wavering again, thinking I like my money staying where it is and trading in the Honda for a Subaru Forester, and getting one of those tents that attach on back. I'm right in the middle on my thinking right now. It's been awhile since I really treated myself to something...... I've been considering the 16' Airstream Bambi and the 16' Basecamp...... I can always juggle the money around. In fact, I just sent an email to a dealer in Vermont and said I can wait, but what would be your best price NOW? Of course, I don't have the best towing vehicle.....

Life and its options. Better than not having any.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #40

As mentioned before it is first and foremost a lifestyle choice because any break-even computation will assume that you are using it all the time. Meaning many days each year.
Be careful that you might some day want to go to a motel for a change, or vacation in the Caribeans etc.

If you have to do the break-even computation do not go that route. If you are excited about having an RV at any cost go right ahead.
It also seems to me that you might be able to rent an RV as an alternative at least for a couple of years before making the decision.
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote