Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone ever do the math on the economy of an RV vs. a motel?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Ditto. But I still worry about big, parking lot like RV parks. Can you comment about that? Also, what about pets and trying to stop and visit attractions? Don't you run into problems with heat?
You have a choice about where you "park". Sure there are very closely packed RV parks. A lot of folks prefer them because of the chance to meet folks and to use the swimming pool, showers and other amenitites these places offer...at a price. You can also choose to boodock on public land...little of any charge to do so..You just have to be self-sufficient (water, refrigeration, electric power, grey and black tank capacity..beer etc.) You can be all by yourself or go with groups. Slab city and Quartsite are only a few. BLM lands are usually free or only a small fee. Then there is Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Elks Lodge, truck stops (Lovs and Flying Js) where you can stop for the night or a few hours to catch some ZZZZs. You can camp in National parks, state parks and even some local parks.

Some places have pet restrictions on the number and breed (dogs). Seeing attractions with a pet is very possible since most RVs have generators that can be used to create electricity to power a roof airconditioner to keep the coach cool. A generator uses about a gallon of fuel an hour and will usually keep the coach cool enough except maybe on a very very hot day unless your generator can run more than one AC unit then you should be fine.

There are lots of options and you can choose whichever one meets your desires and needs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ditto. But I still worry about big, parking lot like RV parks. Can you comment about that? Also, what about pets and trying to stop and visit attractions? Don't you run into problems with heat?
They're out there. Then again, so are breathtaking state and national parks. Long-stay parks like we have here in Fla tend to be dense but are really neighborhoods rather than resorts. Depends on your perspective. There are active message boards and a little homework usually prevents you from landing for long in a "trailer park."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Big parking lot like RV parks appeal to us more than a state park where weekend campers party all night. We are "RVers" not campers. Most large RV parks cater to a mature RVer, albeit sometime much older, but they come with structured rules and regulations. Also, our 40' MH and dish prefer the open and southern sky.
IMHO.

Dave
Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
I, I'm wavering again, thinking I like my money staying where it is and trading in the Honda for a Subaru Forester, and getting one of those tents that attach on back. I'm right in the middle on my thinking right now.
What a fun idea! I have a Forester and never considered that it might be able to pull a trailer. Is that really true, even over mountain passes?

BTW, the Subaru is a fine car, in my lengthy experience of owning them, over 25 years. One good thing about the Forester is that you can lay down the two back seats. With some padding it could be a nice bed for a woman and a dog.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a Forester and never considered that it might be able to pull a trailer. Is that really true, even over mountain passes?
We just got back from a hasty trip to southern CA to visit a critically ill relative. We did some camping and sightseeing on the way back...saw a Subaru Forester hauling a 13' Scamp (very lightweight fiberglass travel trailer) up over an 8100 foot pass north of Mono Lake on US 395. It seemed to be doing fine, although we passed it in our '91 VW Vanagon.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I am also very focused on comfort for me and my DW due to our health issues. Hauling a lot of stuff around through airports for extended trips is not an option anymore.
That makes sense Steve. Your post did seem like a bit of a rant against public accomodations and I was wondering if your endorsement of RV'ing stood on its own or only relative to your disdain for other venues. Now that you've explained your point of view and personal circumstances, I completely understand your comments.

DW and I enjoy a wide variety of leisure activities and, fortunately, are still able to participate in most of the things we've enjoyed over our lives. Leisure time may find us on a fly-in fishing trip one month and at a high tier urban hotel for a week of theater and concerts the next. Variety is important to us. And since I didn't RE until 58 yo (if you even want to call that "early" retirement!) it's time to do it all and procrastinate no longer!

We're looking at adding RV'ing to our list of activities. RV'ing won't replace many of the things we're doing now, but rather will be an additional activity. If we have to give up other activities to RV, then RV'ing doesn't look so attractive.

Our open-mindedness and flexibility are actually making it tougher to decide what to buy. We've ruled out a big Class A and canvas sided pop-ups, but everything else is still on the table. What to do..... what to do

Old 03-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Our open-mindedness and flexibility are actually making it tougher to decide what to buy. We've ruled out a big Class A and canvas sided pop-ups, but everything else is still on the table. What to do..... what to do

What to do Go to an RV Show...ask lots of questions...Rent an RV in every 'class' that you might be interested in!

Take a nice trip...experience the lifestyle....crash a local Airstream 'Rally'...

Decide for yourself the things you really need in an RV. You can go all out with a very comfortable motorhome, towing a little runabout car for side trips...to a pop up camper. There are units everywhere in between the two. If you want to 'boondock' and be out in the wilderness you might find having a full shower and inside toilet will enhance your experience. If you stay in RV Resorts, you might cut back on the full shower setup because you might use their shower facilities. You must consider your tow vehicle first...or last if you decide on something bigger (they MUST match)
Once you get your perfect combination...for YOU, then everything falls in place.
Be sure before you purchase anything, that you are getting exactly what you want or feel that someday you might want because like everything that depreciates it's very expensive to make later changes.
There are lots of options, opportunities to buy great used units...in all classes.

RVing is a life altering experience....I only wish I had started 'earlier' in my life to be able to share with my two daughters what I'm experiencing now, btw...I'm a single mid fifties woman doing this all by myself. I meet friends I've made from the rallies I've gone to and we're planning a little month long mini caravan (4 Airstreams) trip this summer going to Bryce Canyon and some other points of interest we've all been yearning to go to. (Area 51) Then in October we're going to Albuqurque for the Hot Air Balloon Festival where we'll be camped right at the base where they all take off!!! You can't be any closer than that...

The question above was: Anyone ever do the math on the economy of an RV vs. a motel

My answer is.....PRICELESS !

Old 03-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

http://www.rv.com/featuredrvs/mountainaire/index.htm

I think some RVs can never be justified, unless you're usually staying at a $500 per night hotel in Manhattan

I mean come on now, $400k for a small house on wheels? I think it's pretty, but I can't imagine spending that much no matter how much cash I had.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceberon
I mean come on now, $400k for a small house on wheels? I think it's pretty, but I can't imagine spending that much no matter how much cash I had.
Are you sure? What if you have 10 million? How about 100 million?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Well, I think it's all personal preference. If I had 100 million, I'm sure I'd be buying 10k computers, just because I could. Not that I need such a powerful monster, it's just something I would splurge in. I'd also have huge book cases, and probably a secret passage behind them.

On the other hand, I think I'd cringe at spending too much on something like an RV. I guess it's just what I value. I wouldn't want to buy an expensive car, or house, etc.

I think I figured it out. I have uses for a 10k computer, there are certain things I would be able to do I can't do today. I also would use huge book cases, and a secret passage way. Having these expensive things would add some level of joy to my life. On the other hand, I loved driving my 16k V8 Camaro, that thing could spin it's wheels at 80 mph. Paying more for a car would be a waste to me. And we already have a house too large for us, I'd hate to have something larger.

So I guess what I was saying was that a 50k camper would be nice, and get me to where I'd want to go. Anything more would just be gold trim and hardwood that I don't have much value for.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
In that case, here's my car:

[img width=750 height=409]http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Ramp/2716/motorhome.jpg[/img]

And here's my driver:

Someone complained (can you believe it!) - So I put some pants on her!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #72

Now, that's the right attitude. Proper behavior too!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don, I gave you a pretty extensive answer to your question in my post above. Did you miss it?
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...9004#msg239004

Somehow we've managed to avoid all those nasty parking lot looking RV parks - and yes, I agree that there seem to be a preponderance of them, but that doesn't mean you're obligated to use them! LOL!

Many (most?) RVer's we see travel with pets. Some people RV mainly because they want to take their pets with them when they travel. I suppose people leave A/C on when they leave pets in the RV - you would need a generator for this.

Audrey
Old 03-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_CFO_now_RVer
Big parking lot like RV parks appeal to us more than a state park where weekend campers party all night. We are "RVers" not campers. Most large RV parks cater to a mature RVer, albeit sometime much older, but they come with structured rules and regulations. Also, our 40' MH and dish prefer the open and southern sky.
IMHO.

Dave
Well, campers don't get to "party all night" in state parks in TX thank goodness! They have a "no public display of alcohol" rule that prevents outdoor parties while still allowing "discreet" consumption or consumption within the privacy of your RV. And they are serious about enforcing the quiet rules as well. It makes for a lovely peaceful environment.

Our experience has been that even in the state/federal parks the majority of the attendees are the mature RVer. Except for summer and holiday weekends, of course. But I've been in many places where many families are there for the weekend, and in general are quiet and well-behaved. It still amazes me, but seems to be true more often than not.

For us another huge appeal of the state/federal parks (beside remoteness, privacy and wildlife) is they usually have miles and miles of walking/hiking trails. I love being able to go off for long walks in nature.

Audrey
Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1

Many (most?) RVer's we see travel with pets. Some people RV mainly because they want to take their pets with them when they travel. I suppose people leave A/C on when they leave pets in the RV - you would need a generator for this.

Audrey
I'll be traveling with my German shepherd, and together we'll have to figure out the weather.... Here in the Northeast, if he's in the car while I'm doing something, I just leave all the windows down two inches, parked in the shade. (Lots of trees here.) Haven't had a day that seemed too hard for him, but maybe I stay home myself on those days. The South will be different.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
That makes sense Steve. Your post did seem like a bit of a rant against public accomodations and I was wondering if your endorsement of RV'ing stood on its own or only relative to your disdain for other venues. Now that you've explained your point of view and personal circumstances, I completely understand your comments.
We first decided to try RVing because that would let us stay at the State Parks we loved to visit and photograph. It was simply a matter of being able to spend a lot more time "in the field".

Then we fell in love with the "camping" aspect of it. I loved being able to relax at a picnic table at a campsite, having the windows open at night to enjoy the neat night time nature sounds and the dawn bird chorus. Eating out al fresco or sitting out with that first mug of morning coffee. Wandering off for long walks whenever I felt like it. We discovered that people were friendlier, greeted each other often, and we would easily fall into conversations with fellow nature enthusiasts. We had time make friends with the park staff. These are all things that we did NOT experience in our previous forms of travel - the fly/rent car/hotel or drive-cross-country/motel form.

We also discovered that the "gypsy life" aspect - being able to make sudden changes in plans, get by with minimal reservations, stay longer someplace if we felt like it, move on when ready - this was a very powerful draw. Just loved being able to be spontaneous in our travels.

But even though it wasn't the initial motivation for RVing, the benefit of avoiding a lot of the downside of the previous forms of travel have been a major, major plus for us. I have usually enjoyed rustic cabins and remote lodges, but other than that, I just don't care for the sterility and unhomelikeness of most rented accommodations - even the "5 star" ones. Hate airports, don't like planes (although flying is cool), hate crowds and security measures and luggage and waiting around, hated rental cars, and just don't like motels. These were all the things I had to PUT UP WITH and that detracted from travel when we went on our previous journeys. They are all remote memories now.

We have flown only ONE TIME since Xmas of 2002! And that was to go the factory to review and order our motorhome in late 2004. Only one other trip without the RV during that time, because we wanted to stay at Signal Mountain Lodge in Grand Teton National Park and I found that I really missed our RV during that trip.

For folks contemplating this lifestyle - don't make a big investment up front. Get something small or inexpensive or used that you can learn with and test drive the lifestyle. You'll find you either love it or it's just not for you. You'll discover which KIND of camping/RVing you prefer and then be able to make an informed choice when you are ready to make a more serious investment in the RV.

Audrey
Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
I'll be traveling with my German shepherd, and together we'll have to figure out the weather.... Here in the Northeast, if he's in the car while I'm doing something, I just leave all the windows down two inches, parked in the shade. (Lots of trees here.) Haven't had a day that seemed too hard for him, but maybe I stay home myself on those days. The South will be different.
Our little [u]Class B has a generator that will run about 20-30 hours on a tank. We left Sophie in the van for 3-4 hours at a time with the air conditioner running on low, under the shade of a tree. We'd circle back from our touring (in Charleston as I recall) to check her, have a quick run and some petting, and she'd be jumping up to get back in the nice cool RV where her bed, water, and observation station was (near the window).

She seemed to like it. I guess these types of issues are additional reason why I'm glad for you that you expanded your options beyond an SUV. They make a real difference in how and how much you use the vehicle.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

[quote=HFWR ]
Here's my driver:

Someone complained (can you believe it!) - So I put some pants on her!

She's got the right amount of ballast to keep her from sliding around on the seat. Should be safer!

Ha
Old 03-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
the benefit of avoiding a lot of the downside of the previous forms of travel have been a major, major plus for us.
Thanks for your comments Audrey. Very informative!

I guess we've been lucky as we have very, very few "downsides" from our current forms of travel and leisure activities that we want to avoid in the future. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we think RV'ing could be a fantastic addition to our leisure activities, but an "addition," not a "replacement." In fact, I've had to be quite direct with DW in letting her know that RV ownership would not cancel any RV-incompatible activities she currently enjoys.......a jazz weekend downtown, a fly-in fishing trip, international travel, etc. But I think she's still a little worried about that potential. She's still "thumbs up" about the RV idea. Maybe I better act while the iron is hot!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

IMO RVing and camping is very compatible with fishing. Especially if you get something a bit smaller so you can stay in National Forest type campgrounds. We've stayed in lots of places that were premier fishing locations, but we figured out many years ago that we are too busy photographing or birdwatching to have time to go fishing!

Audrey