Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Apple shareholder here, too. So while I try to be sensible with my own finances, I also don't criticize when others run out and buy the latest Apple toy. Heck, I even used my being a shareholder as justification for buying an iPhone last year. Although I went with the old 4S, which they were running a special on.

Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I am going to do some voluntary wealth redistribution by cutting back on my lifelong DIY philosophy. Will that not reduce my guilty feeling?

I will start to pay others for more home and car maintenance and repair (besides, I am getting old and all the chores cut into my leisure time).

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #63
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Apple shareholder here, too. So while I try to be sensible with my own finances, I also don't criticize when others run out and buy the latest Apple toy.
You know, sometimes I also feel guilty when companies dependent on consumer spending are racking up huge gains because people are buying stuff they can't afford. They get the credit card debt and lose the opportunity to save for retirement, and I get investment gains because I hold those companies or my mutual funds do.

I'm really good at finding ways to feel guilty.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I figure that some deserving younger person now has a full time job instead of a part-time or temporary job thanks to my retirement. That can only help that individual as well as the economy as a whole. Since I am spending just about as much as I did before (except for transportation expenses), I am not negating the new spending done by the person who replaced me. Win-Win. Right?
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #65
It has been well over 4 years since I ER'ed and guess what? My old company has been doing extremely well, and the last pension report was great.

Excellent news for my pension, not so good for my ego - they didn't need me as much I hoped, but I'd rather have good news on the continued success of the company plus the knowledge that the "old guard" was not needed. (A year after I left they announced the end of the DB pension plan for all working employees,(converting it to a cash balance plan), triggering a rush to the exit for those that had enough years to retire.
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
Guilty? Not one bit. I worked very hard to get a college degree and a masters degree before putting in over 20 years of long hours, company loyalty, doing whatever I was asked and contributing a lot to the companies I worked for. The last company I worked for laid me off. Little did they know I had saved enough money to RE through living well below my means for many years. This was something I had been working on for a long time. I saved over 70% of my after tax income over my 20 year career. It was not always easy and I took a lot of teasing from friends and family over the years for my extreme LBYM lifestyle. Unlike others, I did not spend lavishly on a big house, expensive vacations and exotic cars. But I don't consider myself all that special. I set a goal, made some choices, and through hard work (and yes some good fortune) I achieved it.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.
I don't feel guilty for several reasons. I didn't steal or take anything from anyone unfairly; in fact, I didn't do anything "special" that anyone else could not have tried. I didn't come from wealth, in fact from a background that most folks would "assume" would lead to failure. Along the way, I tried to help others. I didn't blame others for the mistakes I made, I just tried to learn from them. I likely could have been much wealthier from a monetary standpoint if my focus had been on getting rich, but my focus was (and is) on doing what I can to help my family and my company.

Certainly good fortune played a part. But I can identify dozens of situations where DW and I did things with money that others laughed at for no other reason than they were impatience and "wanted it all now", and ignored our suggestions for patience. I feel sad for them, but not guilty as it was their choice to do otherwise and end up worse off because of that.
Current target FIRE date: June 2017 or +50K to the portfolio, whichever comes first
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #68
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Although I went with the old 4S, which they were running a special on.
I went with the 4S too but it was for the power cord compatibility with the iPad and it also fits all the appliances.

More screen is mostly for pictures but we view them on the iPad. Thanks Photostream and iCloud.
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #69
I don't feel guilty but I do feel like DH and I should do something in terms of a social justice, pay it forward type of project. Maybe something on the scale of our businesses but not for profit. Like Liam Neesom, we have particular sets of skills, though are are a lot less cool and much more nerdy, but they probably could be used in some way to have a national impact working for a political campaign or social justice nonprofit.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe
No, I don't feel guilty at all. I was downsized 5 years ago (and had already reached an adequate level of FI), so I would have worked even longer had they let me.

What I feel now is that I worked TOO hard, put in TOO much time. What a shame that I had to devote so much of my best years to unappreciative megacorps. Weekends and two weeks of vacation per year - what little time to enjoy our lives!!! Well, I have time now and believe me I'm enjoying it!
edsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.
I never felt guilty. I work p.t. for myself which I enjoy and do volunteer work. I also take some of my friends to appts, etc who for various health reasons can't drive even though they are only in their early 60's. Your health can be fleeting so enjoy life while you can.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote