Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuca View Post
I'm FI, I've sworn off this board. I have many things that I want to accomplish in life....

But as I said, I am driven, I am relentless, I do not get excited by being here...
That explains why you read this thread, visited this site and posted here.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This isn't how I want to start my Saturday...

S. is leaving to do the impossible: run a marathon and read a novel? Now, if you want the impossible: try using Aqua Velva for over 51 years like I have. Bet you can’t do it. (O.K maybe this isn’t the best example).

But maybe you actually have already accomplished the impossible: you said your last post would be your last post and then, miraculously you created another post. How did you do that? Could you teach me?

Anyhow, I can’t believe you’re leaving: Where else are you going to read about my faulty furnace (don’t read too much into that) and personal hygiene aboard a submarine (I have a hunch those two things may somehow be related—but, I hope not).

Anyhow (once again), if you leave now, you will miss out on my book review of “The SPY” by Clive Cussler. Funny thing, I was going to dedicate the review to you. Now, I may have to re-think this.

Best wishes…

redduck (should that be two words)?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
...Anyhow (once again), if you leave now, you will miss out on my book review of “The SPY” by Clive Cussler. Funny thing, I was going to dedicate the review to you. Now, I may have to re-think this....
Umm, no one's ever dedicated a book review to me, even though I am old AND reflective per Sambuca's requirements....
Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was FI about 5 or 6 years ago and choose to keep working. The job eventually became part time and last September my position was eliminated, thus I retired. I figured that I would hang in with the part time gig as long as it lasted as it provided free health insurance and the work was easy.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

FI, now age 58, still working. Target is 62 but if the BS gets to be too much, I'm outta there.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Umm, no one's ever dedicated a book review to me, even though I am old AND reflective per Sambuca's requirements....
First off, it's hard to believe that no one, not even once, has ever dedicated a book review to you. Is this a bucket-list thing of yours? I'm sure that this oversight will be remedied.
Lsbcal and Moemg review lots of books. I bet either one of them would be willing to help you out here--especially when it's called to their attention that you are old AND reflective.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
OK, what I acutally wrote in my journal about this board, is that it is a 'poison on my soul' and with that, I bid adieu
Gone? I hope you know noone will really miss you.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm FI, I've sworn off this board. I have many things that I want to accomplish in life. I am driven. I love to tackle impossible tasks - marathons, novels, and hopefully things that put me in an elite class - to understand where the leaders are taking the world. I want to read 'thinking fast and slow' and gainfully employ that in my life. In short, this is not the place where I want to waste my time anymore, and this is (wait for the applause) my last post... until I'm ready to be old and refective on life, like most of these 'Early Retirees'. I came here for inspiration, and mostly found people talking about the riches of time, but not optimization - what I would hope the goal of every human life (being that we are a rational species) - the optimization of time and resources. When I am powerless in this sense, I am happy to comfortably fade and die - like during a marathon prepared inadequately for, these people should not be offering advice, unless they are doing something they are truly proud of, that leaves the world better than they found it. But as I said, I am driven, I am relentless, I do not get excited by being here...
Quote:
OK, what I acutally wrote in my journal about this board, is that it is a 'poison on my soul' and with that, I bid adieu
So you have all these goals you want to accomplish with your life, just as soon as you finish your weekday shift work. Good luck to you and your fellow elites with that.

I had to re-read your posts to remember what you've been talking about, and now that I recognize the theme I have to admit that we've seen these flounces more than a few times from your type. Just make sure you get yourself a new IP address before you sign up for a new account.

But you have a nice life now, and don't let the door hit you in the assets on the way out. "Warm regards".

Oh, and say "Hey" to Ted for us, will you?
Retirement vs Perfect Job

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I am FI, although quite with the buffer I want, and I work. Most days I like my job, so it's hard to leave. I don't think, apart from this job, I could use the skills I've spent a long time developing. I hope I can find a way to cut down to part-time. I think I could do that indefinitely...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsnow View Post
I don't think, apart from this job, I could use the skills I've spent a long time developing.
I have plenty of long-developed skills that happen to be illegal unless backed by the federal government's authority, but I've been quite happy to put them aside in favor of developing new (legal) skills.

Kidding aside, retirement is a chance to forget about who you were and to start working on who you want to be. If you're already happy with your working persona then you have no reason to retire.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Any time I use one of those online calculators it tells me I have enough to retire now. But my wife gets a full pension in 3 years that makes that the earliest realistic target. Then I'll probably work for another 2-3 because she want to do something related to a perk of my job...

I have quit working twice in the last 15 years, once for 3 years and once for about 1 year, both times to complete a graduate degree. Both times I had saved for the time off and expected to live off savings plus a tiny bit of consulting and teaching. Both times I ended up going back to work with more saved than I started with, not intentionally, it just worked out that way. But during those periods I could not save significantly for an early retirement.

I am gradually coming to grips with the idea that we are FI. That if we had to retire tomorrow we could. But it still seems like it would be a bit of a stretch if we really did it now but realistically it probably would not involve much sacrifice. We need a few more years of savings but more importantly, a few more years of not drawing on what we have already saved.

Sometimes being in this position makes it hard to come to work. I really wish I could just buy 1-2 days off every week! It's not that I don't like my job, it's just that there are other things I'd love to do. My wife pretty much feels the same way.

But she is heading up a major new project in her job that will be complete about the time she can retire. I'd say there is at least a 50% chance that she will want to stick around another year or two to complete the "weaning" process.

So I guess we are in the category of FI but not ER yet. It's great some days because I can think "Oh, I really don't have to put up with the BS, I just want to get things done" while other times I think "Why do I put up with this BS when I don't have to?" The funny thing is, I started planning for ER shortly after I started working. My goal was never to stop working but was instead to be in a position where I COULD if I wanted to. It sounds like that is where you still are. When you get to that point I bet you'll be seeing that greener grass much more clearly.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I have plenty of long-developed skills that happen to be illegal unless backed by the federal government's authority, but I've been quite happy to put them aside in favor of developing new (legal) skills.
You itchin to put your finger on the launch button
Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm FI, I've sworn off this board. I have many things that I want to accomplish in life. I am driven. I love to tackle impossible tasks - marathons, novels, and hopefully things that put me in an elite class - to understand where the leaders are taking the world. I want to read 'thinking fast and slow' and gainfully employ that in my life. In short, this is not the place where I want to waste my time anymore, and this is (wait for the applause) my last post... until I'm ready to be old and refective on life, like most of these 'Early Retirees'. I came here for inspiration, and mostly found people talking about the riches of time, but not optimization - what I would hope the goal of every human life (being that we are a rational species) - the optimization of time and resources. When I am powerless in this sense, I am happy to comfortably fade and die - like during a marathon prepared inadequately for, these people should not be offering advice, unless they are doing something they are truly proud of, that leaves the world better than they found it. But as I said, I am driven, I am relentless, I do not get excited by being here...
Thanks, I needed that kick in the butt to jump start my life again.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bidding adieu two posts after your "last post".

Best of luck Sambuca.

Good riddance.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy, with Sambuca gone this thread really dried up. I guess everyone is out getting ready for their Marathons? [Background alert: I've run 7.]

I am a long time reader, infrequent poster. I retired in the Spring of 2009 at 51 (remember what the market was doing then? ), but figured that I still had enough, as long as the trend of the time didn't continue forever. I had 30+ years, a frozen but traditional pension, and enough money in cash and stock to allow me to sleep. I have a child, still under 10, so that made me work the numbers over and over. My j*b involved a lot of travel, and I decided that time with my child was more important than extra $ being accumulated...especially since I felt I was FI given a decent but modest lifestyle.

I took a year off, no work except for a few projects around the house. First vacation longer than 2 weeks since high school (I attended college year round to get done earlier). After a year, I took a short term consulting contract with a former customer of my employer. I also applied for and got a part time j*b teaching at a local college. Since then, I've continued the teaching thing, not for the money (part time adjuncts get paid pretty little), but for the fun of it, to keep my mine occupied and partially because I didn't want my child to see a lazy slob sitting around all day (that's me) as a role model. Life is still pretty good, as I have a good amount of free time and the summers off, and I spend some of my time brewing good quality beer to drink.

I've been asked to teach 4 classes in the fall...uh oh...I agreed to do it...watch what your doing or the next thing you know you will be working full time.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #76

Well, I'm still working but if I wasn't, I'd have twice the AT income I currently spend. I'm sick of my career, just working my way to exiting (61). Oh, and I've run a marathon, built my own house, raised two great kids, read lots of books, and I come HERE for inspiration that walking away from work is a good idea! Hence I'm just saying I appreciate this board and you people inspire me to become more of a slacker!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I've been asked to teach 4 classes in the fall...uh oh...I agreed to do it...watch what your doing or the next thing you know you will be working full time.
We call this "the curse of competence".
Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #78

FI and still working. Yes indeed. Back in '09 I was closing in on FI and our company went through a major reorg. I had to reapply for a position with the compny I had been with for 29 years. I walked through the interview, gave them what they wanted to hear (Cool Hand Luke comes to mind) and was glad to know this would not happen again. Now with FI in hand I would love for my boss to arrange a meeting with HR.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm 15 months into my ER. I developed a Biology class for our local Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. I described it to a friend who is still working. He kept trying to get me to somehow get paid for it. He has his own business and every public appearance is time he expects to get paid for. He didn't understand that I considered it volunteer work. Or better yet, as I told my class, that I have always had a professional obligation as an engineer/scientist to train the next generation and reach out to the public. It doesn't involve a lot of time. It's been a fun intellectual challenge. At this point in my life, getting paid for it would probably ruin it for me. For now this is my contribution back to society.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #80

We are Fi according to the various on lin calculators, my own spread sheet and common sense. However, I got spooked when the equity markets fell sharply in 2011 and decided to keep working for "one more year" to give us some additional "sleep at night" security. I intend to leave the office on either 31 December 2012 or early/mid 2013 depending on bonus expectations nearer the time.