Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
FI and still working. Yes indeed. Back in '09 I was closing in on FI and our company went through a major reorg. I had to reapply for a position with the compny I had been with for 29 years. I walked through the interview, gave them what they wanted to hear (Cool Hand Luke comes to mind) and was glad to know this would not happen again. Now with FI in hand I would love for my boss to arrange a meeting with HR.

"What's the worst thing that could happen - I keep my job."
foxfirev5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm 15 months into my ER. I developed a Biology class for our local Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. I described it to a friend who is still working. He kept trying to get me to somehow get paid for it. He has his own business and every public appearance is time he expects to get paid for. He didn't understand that I considered it volunteer work. Or better yet, as I told my class, that I have always had a professional obligation as an engineer/scientist to train the next generation and reach out to the public. It doesn't involve a lot of time. It's been a fun intellectual challenge. At this point in my life, getting paid for it would probably ruin it for me. For now this is my contribution back to society.

martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #83
We are Fi according to the various on lin calculators, my own spread sheet and common sense. However, I got spooked when the equity markets fell sharply in 2011 and decided to keep working for "one more year" to give us some additional "sleep at night" security. I intend to leave the office on either 31 December 2012 or early/mid 2013 depending on bonus expectations nearer the time.
Budgeting is a skill practised by people who are bad at politics.
traineeinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #84
Dryer sheet wannabe
Retired 1/3/2011 and took a job 11 months later with my town working in the transfer station 2 days a week. The money doesn't matter but I meet up with old schoolmates, Town politicians, etc. I enjoy it.

Dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #85
I went through FireCalc only once a couple of years ago when I first found this site.

Now I have more money and if we go by 3 or 4% SWR, I could probably retire, though with the free time, I'd travel more which would raise my spending.

There are good days and bad days at work, though overall, it's pretty easy work, other than some long hours at times. Even then, I clock a lot of OT from home while watching TV or surfing.

Knowing that I could walk away makes the bad days more tolerable.

explanade is offline   Reply With Quote