Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone full time RV???
Old 10-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Anyone full time RV???

Just stumbled into this board tonight and have done a lot of reading. There is some EXCELLENT information here!! We have been full timing in our 5th wheel for almost 5 years. We are on our way east from Seattle and will visit the kids in Illinois at Thanksgiving. Currently we are looking for an inexpensive place to stay for the winter in Florida as the crime and illegal alien problems in Arizona are more than we want to deal with. Even in this economy we are finding the rates VERY high (over my cheap budget according to my wife) anywhere in South Florida and the cheaper places (within my cheap budget) are complete dumps. We have started searching further North as i love to fresh water fish. We are finding the area between Jacksonville and Gainesville has LOTS of fishing and low population (AKA less traffic) as well as access to either coast in about 1 1/2 hours. One place that looks mighty promising is a little KOA campground in Starke Florida. Starke KOA Home Page They are advertising a 6 month rate at $380 a month INCLUDING taxes PLUS metered electric. My wife called and they have some openings according to the lady she talked to. They are also one of the few places we can get our 40' Teton 5er into and still park in front or behind it! A far cry from the tiny sites further south. It also sounds like they run a tight ship from the reviews i can find online. It almost looks like a too good to be true situation and i was hoping SOMEONE has been there or is near there and can check it out for us. If anyone has any pluses or minuses about this place either post or send us a PM. Thanks!!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird1 View Post
One place that looks mighty promising is a little KOA campground in Starke Florida. Starke KOA Home Page They are advertising a 6 month rate at $380 a month INCLUDING taxes PLUS metered electric. My wife called and they have some openings according to the lady she talked to. They are also one of the few places we can get our 40' Teton 5er into and still park in front or behind it! A far cry from the tiny sites further south. It also sounds like they run a tight ship from the reviews i can find online. It almost looks like a too good to be true situation and i was hoping SOMEONE has been there or is near there and can check it out for us. If anyone has any pluses or minuses about this place either post or send us a PM. Thanks!!!!
I have not visited this campground but...

RV Park Reviews :: Starke, Florida ( FL ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

might give some direction (assuming, wrongly probably, that you didn't already check there).

Quote:
This park is nice enough, but the never ending train whistle will drive you crazy!! Also, it sits right on RT.301 so the traffic noise is always present.
Of course, Brenda contends there is some universal Law that requires those two elements to be close-by -- the closer the better --before any RV Park can be put into operation.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Might be too for south, but you might check this one: Manatee Hammock Campground on Florida's Space Coast

They offer a discount of 45% for 30 day or longer stays paid in advance, which I calculate to be about $475/mo - and no added charge for electricity. Some traffic and train noise, and improving on Ron's theory, even a nearby small airport, but not too bad.

Not sure about availability but might be worth a call.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did for 5 years. It was awesome. Would have continued indefinitely if we hadn't found a spot and a type of house that suited us perfectly. Now demoted to part-timer and expect to travel 1/2 the year.

Audrey