Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I have a lot of hobbies, but only a few that I enjoyed several years ago. I used to do woodworking in high school. Took a 40 year break, and I'm back at it.
Also started biking again - every other day during decent weather.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What a great photo, Imoldernu! I've never seen a bike like that (love the hat too!).
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gardening...growing plants from seed and experimenting with indoor grow lights
Sandcastle building at every opportunity at the beach...reposting my 'sea serpent' creation
Kite flying
Coloring with crayons
Baking cakes
Art using dried beans and seashells...I made a Tree of Life during the summer of 2012 using zebra mussel and little conical shells (bottom edge of frame) and driftwood from Lake Ontario, dried black beans...and good ol' Elmer's Glue

My inner child is once again flourishing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001Comp.JPG (55.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 002Comp.JPG (63.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg TreeShellsBeans2012.jpg (199.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Gardening...growing plants from seed and experimenting with indoor grow lights
:
Been watching too many Cheech & Chong movies?
watch out you don't get busted!
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always enjoyed painting with water colours as well as some sculpturing. And, yes, I am doing more of those and getting more involved in that community.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #26

Trying to work up the courage to get back on the motorcycle after lumbar fusion and a slightly bum/weak right leg I would be needing to brake with on occasion. I'll get there soon. Bicycling on my recumbent trike is also in the works. The guitars see more dust the past couple of decades since the fingers are getting stiffer. So now I've been developing some new hobbies - ceramics thrown on a wheel and metal sculpture.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #27

Two years prior to retiring I bought a motorcycle, kids were gone and out of college and wife said keep life insurance current. Ten years later on my second bike an old man's crotch rocket, Yamaha FJR 1300 and have put over 20K miles on it, with trips all over the place, Key West, Outerbanks, Bourbon Trail, Dragon, Cherohala, to name a few. Also got into playing my guitar along with a younger buddy who can sing out in some sport bars every now and then. Don't know which DW dislikes most, probably the scooter. But my real jones is golf, which I play with regularity weather and daylight permitting. Retirement is time to enjoy yourself and do what you like.

If you do want to get back on the bike by all means take the motorcycle safety foundation rider course.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
As I count down the days to retirement, I'm getting this strong desire to get back into motorcycling. I grew up with bikes, but haven't had one since about 1995.
When I was counting down the days to retirement, I had planned to get another motorcycle. I had several bikes in my late teens and early 20's and have kept my license "just in case". I haven't bought another one "yet" since my other hobbies have kept me pretty busy but your question get's me thinking about it again.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #29

Beekeeping again, fishing along the coast, more hunting, shrimping and gardening. And they are not hobbies. They are real life things I take very seriously. I sure am glad work won't be in the way anymore of my life.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
If you do want to get back on the bike by all means take the motorcycle safety foundation rider course.
+1 on that!

When I bought my bike four years ago I hadn't been on one since 1976 and the engine displacement was twice the size of the one I'd ridden then. I spent the first 100 miles putt-putting around the neighborhood in 1st and 2nd gear getting used to it and read a bunch of books on technique and stuff to be aware of.

Just go slow to start and don't push the envelope. Spend some serious bucks on riding gear. It's a lot cheaper than skin grafts, not to mention the pain involved.

I just saw this article about older riders and injuries:

Not easy riders: Aging bikers 3 times more likely to get injured - TODAY Health

So I keep all that in mind, but ride anyway. For a while longer yet.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #31

I guess these posts were just what I needed to get jump started. I checked the motorcycle out yesterday and had my first ride in 2.5 years this morning. Granted it was a short 20 miles but it's a start and the back and leg held up fine. Maybe I will still be able to take some long trips in the future after all.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #32
gone traveling

Had a few bikes pre-DW and occassionally I still get to thinking about a Harley or Ducati (hows that for two extremes), but DW does not approve of such thoughts. As to getting back to other things in retirement, I've been a jack of all trades and master of none, so lots of choices to recycle and enjoy again (fly fishing, model railroading, RC cars, go-karts, sports car racing, muscle cars, bowling, golf, boating, magic, painting/drawing, photography, woodworking, astronomy, shooting sports, ham radio, tennis, etc).
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
+1 on that!

When I bought my bike four years ago I hadn't been on one since 1976 and the engine displacement was twice the size of the one I'd ridden then. I spent the first 100 miles putt-putting around the neighborhood in 1st and 2nd gear getting used to it and read a bunch of books on technique and stuff to be aware of.

Just go slow to start and don't push the envelope. Spend some serious bucks on riding gear. It's a lot cheaper than skin grafts, not to mention the pain involved.

I just saw this article about older riders and injuries:

Not easy riders: Aging bikers 3 times more likely to get injured - TODAY Health

So I keep all that in mind, but ride anyway. For a while longer yet.
A few keys of not getting killed on a bike are, never get in a hurry, never drink and ride and pretend as if every vehicle is out to run your old butt over. I like to ride the country roads away from all the assholes talking on cell phones and texting. Down here a nice day doesn't go by without reading about somebody on a bike getting creamed by a cage driver.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

No, but thanks to your post I did have a dream about my college boyfriend !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My cycle has been collecting dust for several years. Traffic has increased so much I don't feel it is safe to ride.

I have been away from flying for six years and want to fly upside down one more time. Currently have an offer on this:

check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #36

Quote:
A few keys of not getting killed on a bike are, never get in a hurry, never drink and ride and pretend as if every vehicle is out to run your old butt over.
And make sure never to fall asleep while you're splitting traffic on the freeway. (Yes, I did that, and woke up a second or two later to find that I was still on the bike and hadn't crashed into anything, but it scared the bejesus outta me.)

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
(Just an excuse to post a pic of my mom and her mom and dad from 1912...)

I love your grandma's hat! Is she sitting in a wicker chair? Note the complete absence of seat belts, car seats, etc!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #38

Quote:
A few keys of not getting killed on a bike are, never get in a hurry, never drink and ride and pretend as if every vehicle is out to run your old butt over. I like to ride the country roads away from all the assholes talking on cell phones and texting. Down here a nice day doesn't go by without reading about somebody on a bike getting creamed by a cage driver.
Amen to that. What kept me off a bike for decades was living in the Washington, DC area. Aside from just not being fun, the roads are just too crowded for safe bike riding.

Also I highly recommend these books by David Hough. He notes that about 50% of fatal bike accidents involve the bike rider being DWI. Sheesh, even at 17 I knew better than that!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
As I count down the days to retirement, I'm getting this strong desire to get back into motorcycling. I grew up with bikes, but haven't had one since about 1995. I found my old leather jacket in the basement closet and I can still get into it. I'm dreaming of the day trips, destinations and carefree riding I can do again.

What old hobby/interest are you getting back to?
Just picked up my new Jeep Rubicon a couple of weeks ago. Next on the list is a Harley. Its been since the early '90 for me too. Then on to RE in May. Four wheeling will be new, but riding will be with friends since high school days. And yes, I'm retireing to the mountains of Colorado!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Pretend - nothing - around here you know they are!

Cheers!