Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone going to Omaha this weekend for BH shareholder meeting?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone going to Omaha this weekend for BH shareholder meeting?

This is the 2nd time that I am making the capitalist pilgrimage (aka the Berkshire-Hathaway annual shareholder meeting) to see Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger answer shareholder and media questions for the good portion of a spring Saturday. The time goes quicker then you might think during the event! Even DW thinks it is a good time although she was very skeptical before the first time that we went.

I probably won't have time to arrange a meetup or anything this time around, but I was curious if anyone else on the ER board makes the trip.

BTW, Charlie Munger, Warren Buffet's partner, is now age 91 so I do fear that this tradition may not continue indefinitely.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We have hotel reservations in Council Bluffs and would be first timers.

My husband is wanting to go, but I'm not looking forward to the 7 hour
drive and my feet are getting cold.

Any encouragement to go would be welcome! What would we be
missing if we opted out?

OTOH, the weather forecast looks good, and it looks as though there
is a nice network of bike trails in the area.
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lowly B share owner here. Give my best to Warren and Charlie.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Lowly b share holders here too, but we still received an invitation notice for the meeting.
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemlovers View Post
Lowly b share holders here too, but we still received an invitation notice for the meeting.
What!? Now my feelings are hurt. Warren, was it something I said?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When you receive your annual report / proxy (I ge a hardcopy via the US mail) there are postcards that you can send in for up to 4 tickets to the annual shareholder meeting. I think the report goes out mid-March every year and the meeting is near the end of Apr or early May.

You can also show up with proof of share ownership as of the record date along with ID, and credentials can be issued on site although I missed the cocktail reception at the jewelry store on Friday night the first time that I went due arriving after the office closed for the day.

WB and CB have a life outlook and value system similar to my own. Hearing them speak reaffirms my own beliefs.

They had a really good answer to a question the year I went leading up to the financial meltdown. Question was what will happen if there is a financial collapse and what can we do? They finally said that "Everyone here are smart resourceful folks -- you will do fine under any other system that may emerge." Keeping this in the back of my mind as things went south gave me a bound on worse-case scenarios.

I would recommend that everyone make the trip ASAP in that WB is 84 and CM is 91 years old now.

Heading west-bound on I-88 out of Chicago at 9:20am as we speak (we stayed the night in Chicago and picked up a friend to come along with us). Laptops, hotspots and an extra driver are beautiful things.

-gauss

p.s. we are also staying in Council Bluffs (Holiday Inn) this weekend.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote