Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone have this weird fantasy?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone have this weird fantasy?

So, about 3 yrs from FIRE and have been fortunate enough to have my DW at home while we raised 4 kids (2 still in college, 2 off the payroll), good income, always LBMM, stashed away $ that should allow me to live a pretty good lifestyle in RE. While our standard of living is pretty fat and I am as guilty as my DW in enjoying many of the better things in life (i.e. Nice cars, restaurants, trips, wine), I am blue collar guy at heart and if I really admit it, while all this "good sh!t" is nice, I often find myself envying those on this site who seem to be living very fulfilling lives on significantly less than I plan on/think I want. One of my plans prior to RE is to try and really simplify and start stripping down garbage I don't need, regardless if I can afford it. Will I do it... hope so, but old habits are hard to break sometimes, particularly if you don't have too. None the less, I am a "value" guy and hate waste and definitely indulge in pleanty of waste in my lifestyle today. My weird fantasy is living a happy fulfilling life on significantly less than I do today. Am I the only weirdo out their?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The grass is always greener...
I'm sure there are plenty of folks afflicted with the same longing.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can identify with that. Will I really do it? Probably not.

My cousin, who's a flight attendant of 35 years, lives quite happily and IMHO well on $27k a year. But he'll likely not retire until he drops. OTOH, he works his own schedule now and looks very semi-retired, even though he doesn't consider himself such.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
My weird fantasy is living a happy fulfilling life on significantly less than I do today. Am I the only weirdo out their?
Probably many on this site do. But it's not for me.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get yourself a small RV, or better yet a camper van. Then, take a road trip through the US, staying in public campground or boondocking in the national forests, or Walmarts while in transit.

You don't have to fantasize. Just get away from your "stuff" for a month or two to detox, and go from there.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

I've had similar thoughts and believe them to reflect a desire for decluttering and simplicity.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #7

I am about 2 1/2 years into living in an old motor home. Nothing fancy like slide-outs or a dish washer. Before RE I had a 2500 sq ft home in the burbs. I still have all my "stuff". It is in a storage unit about an hour away. I don't go down there very often. If this were permanent, I would add a porch and some amenities, but it would still be a simple life. I am building a house, so when I move in there, I will have a bit nicer life style. It will still be a lot simpler than when I was in the rat race and needed to pay for things I do myself now. If the late DW were still with me, there is no way I would be living this simple and rustic life style.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Every time I try to simplify our lifestyle, DW picks up the slack I create. Is this entropy?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Simplifying is good. We did a lot of that the first 5 years of retirement. We even ended up selling our house and most of our stuff and living in an RV for 5 years. We didn't skimp on the motorhome, but our other expenses those five years dropped quite a bit.

Now that we are back to home ownership, we have a smaller place and less stuff (partly enforced by the smaller place), and we tend to buy less stuff. But we don't skimp on experiences or travel spending.

Simplifying, streamlining, establishing priorities - those are good things to do when retired. We just try to make sure that what we spend money on is important to us.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We didn't downsize but we are decluttering and trying not to buy too many new things unless we really need them. We have gone through every expense and optimized many, like renegotiating the cable bill, lowering the grocery costs, dropping most of the cable TV channels, replacing the landline with Ooma, etc. I think overall we live better than before and spend much less. We still have a lot of relatively painless projects we can do to lower our run rate like insulating the house and xeriscaping so we just keep chipping away every month.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #11

I've had the same nagging thought...

Just the other day I was telling the butler that perhaps he and the maid could take the afternoon off as I would simply eat the left-over pheasant for dinner.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I've had the same nagging thought...

Just the other day I was telling the butler that perhaps he and the maid could take the afternoon off as I would simply eat the left-over pheasant for dinner.
LOL!
Old 12-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have no interest in simplifying. But I am in awe of how well some members seem to live on very small incomes. Some of the old threads showed peoples' houses and I was blown away by how nice some were when I knew the posters were also making Roth conversions to stay under 15%.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

While I lived below my means while working, I found that once retired, I realized that a lot of the extra money I did spend while working was to relieve the stress of working. "I know it sucks, but at least there is this expensive reward coming to make up for it". You may not find this to be true in your case - just my experience.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you shared your fantasy with DW or significant other? Getting them on-board might be the challenge you face.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #16

So, I have to admit, the thread title had me thinking this thread would be much different.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, I have to admit, the thread title had me thinking this thread would be much different.
If you were thinking what I think you were, men tend to have fewer of these fantasies as we get older. No?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I can somewhat relate to the OP's desire to simplify our lives. Not that it has ever been complicated or full of drama. Since I retired 3.5 years ago I find myself thinking that all my "stuff" is weighing me down like an anchor. Not sure where this is coming from since we have less "stuff" then most of our friends and family. We have always LBOM and have never been the type of shoppers that buy things for instant short term gratification. I have had "fantasies" of selling everything and moving to Key West to live in a small one bedroom house. We love Key West with its laid back lifestyle. The thought of hanging out all day meeting new people that are there to have fun is very appealing. Then when I really think it through I realize that I would probably be dissatisfied at some point. They say never live in paradise only visit it as you will appreciate it much more. Currently I not ready to give up our 2600sft house with pool, 3 car garage with a Porsche in one bay. At some point even this "stuff" will weight too heavy and we will move to simplify our lives.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I understand exactly what is being said . I grew up in a small house with mother father and 2 brothers and one bathroom . Today our house in the burbs is 2800 sq ft ,2 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms for 2 people . We both plan to retire January 1, 2018 to max SS . A few years ago we bought land from the state ( foreclosed ) As a kid I always built cabins and forts . So Texas rural being as it is I built my own house in the country . I did my own sewage no code , did use a licensed electrician . Our retirement home is a 920sq ft 2 BR 1 bath metal building. We built it our way. I made many mistakes along the way but the house is built lie a bunker . All Led lighting 3.5 inches closed foam roof and walls . All PEX plumbing . This spring I am changing my HVAC to Solar Mini split . I have a 900sq ft . garage/ workshop for our toys . Another metal building. NOW most of our friends want to retire to larger homes in the Houston and I understand that . We plan to travel some and enjoy our little ranch. Nothing like sitting in your Hot tub on a cold December night and seeing deer and coyote roaming around .
Old 12-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't talk Key West , LW would move to KW in a heartbeat ...To many Fantasy Fests !