Anyone here retire in their 40's ?

So the Police/Firefighter/Military exclusion was more because I thought this was normal. I have a distant relative retiring at 49 from police force. He hangs out with a lot of his police buddies and he says they are a tight crew even after retirement. I have a former Marine I play ball with and he retired around 50 (though started a side business). Also, a firefighter acquaintance with a similar story.

I think this is awesome and like someone brought this up, these folks may also be a great source of a secondary set of friends.

Curious why the limitation on who can respond considering that your questions would apply to any of those first responders/military as well. Almost all veterans get jobs when they transition from the military. Very few retire for good in their 40s.

Retired at 46 in 2013 after a good legal career (I still do some occasional consulting work).

To answer OPs questions:

1. no problem at all maintaining friendships. Some of my colleagues are good friends and we have remained friends post FIRE. Two of the followed me into retirement.

2. I have plenty to keep myself occupied. Post FiRE, I have completed one post-grad degree and am working on a second. I have written and self-published one novel and hope to have a second up on Amazon by the end of 2019. I still do some legal consulting, pro-bono work and am travelling back home to visit relatives twice a year instead of once a year.

DW went back to work full time (a job she loves) and we have two daughters in school - one is in boarding school in NZ and the second will follow next year so I will have even more time to do things then.

Giving up the money was something I worried about before FIRE but wasn't a problem when it actually happened. Just blew a big chunk of money on my first car (which is totally unnecessary where I live).

Life is good.

Back
Top Bottom