Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Keim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,128
I am not retired. Can I play? This is my first car. Bought around 1984. I've been restoring it over the last few years. I paid someone to paint it last year. Then I went through and gave the engine a serious detailing (including fresh paint/POR15). I'll be gutting the interior myself in a few weeks. New upholstery on order.
The original motor has been rebuilt. Not by me. I do general maintenance, but nothing that advanced. Put in a better cam, and edelbrock carb/manifold. I recently took this car on a 12hr trip to Portland OR, and back. It performed beautifully. Beautiful drive through the Columbia River Gorge!
__________________

__________________
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,583
I am not retired yet, couple years to go. Besides my username giving an indicator, I pretty much do car stuff when I am not at work or doing house stuff. Not into restorations, but instead hot rodding and racing.

My current list of older cars:
1937 Chevy Utility Coupe (aka "ute") from Australia - all stock for now
1937 Ford Utility Coupe from Australia - hot rod, currently disassembled for new paint and some modifications
1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan - namesake and hot rodded
1949 Ford COE - very modified hot rod truck (small pic in avatar)
1952 GMC pickup - current hot rod in progress
1955 Studebaker Coupe - future landspeed race car project, goal to go 200+ mph. Not running, it is just a rolling shell with no engine/trans or interior.
1963 Dodge Town Wagon -future project, not running
1968 Pontiac GTO - all original and had for 34 years now, will never sell it

Plus currently have 4 newer vehicles incl a motorhome. Add in a tractor and a couple trailers and it keeps me busy. I have a large 26x48 detached shop garage for working on the cars and do most all of my own work. I definitely will not have a problem with what to do once retired. I go to several car shows now and like driving my old cars around, that is what they are for. Drive and enjoy them.

People think the old cars are expensive, but if you do a lot of the work yourself, it is not too bad. I have never lost money on any old car, although my labor rate if calculated would be less than minimum wage sometimes.......

Just drove my 38 Chevy this past weekend all over on Sat, about 100 miles total, with a smile on my face the whole time!
__________________

__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,880
I don't have any old cars, but I'm amazed every time I drive around on a warm weekend when many garage doors are left open, to see how many people do. This is in SE Michigan, so maybe we are a little car crazy.

Every August, when the Woodward Dream Cruise happens, the sheer number of cars that appear is astounding.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Keim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,128
Decided to show a few shots from my recent Oregon roadtrip.

The car.


Mt. Hood as seen near The Dalles.



Palouse Falls

Columbia River Gorge
__________________
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
check6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 383
Keim, beautiful car...thanks for posting the pic. I have to make that drive some day.
__________________
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Keim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Keim, beautiful car...thanks for posting the pic. I have to make that drive some day.
It is well worth it if you are anywhere near. I did the scenic route, and stopped at each of the falls along the way. Even the interstate thru is gorgeous.
__________________
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 567
Beautiful cars including the 60's Land Rover! Great to see so many enthusiasts here and I can relate to many of you. I guess I've gone through various stages as to what I enjoy about cars. At first it was just having fast cars, then it was modifying them to go faster, after that I got into racing and got my racing license with SCCA and NASA. After that I got involved in motorcycles and 4x4/wheeling and then I slowed down, now I drive a mundane Honda. However, at this stage I simply enjoy buying a bland or 'undesirable model' car and making it work. Replacing tired suspension, rebuilding their abused/neglected motors/transmissions etc and then watching them come alive gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I do wish I had Jay Leno type of a garage/warehouse with everything from a Buggati Veron to an Ariel Atom to an old Studebaker - that guy is a serious car nut, one that doesn't hesitate to spend money on something he's passionate about.
__________________
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Beautiful cars including the 60's Land Rover! Great to see so many enthusiasts here and I can relate to many of you. I guess I've gone through various stages as to what I enjoy about cars. At first it was just having fast cars, then it was modifying them to go faster, after that I got into racing and got my racing license with SCCA and NASA. After that I got involved in motorcycles and 4x4/wheeling and then I slowed down, now I drive a mundane Honda. However, at this stage I simply enjoy buying a bland or 'undesirable model' car and making it work. Replacing tired suspension, rebuilding their abused/neglected motors/transmissions etc and then watching them come alive gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I do wish I had Jay Leno type of a garage/warehouse with everything from a Buggati Veron to an Ariel Atom to an old Studebaker - that guy is a serious car nut, one that doesn't hesitate to spend money on something he's passionate about.
I have considered getting into 250cc superkart racing. With your racing blood, I'd bet you would enjoy that.
Google Image Result for http://coolmanstuff.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/250cc-superkart.jpg
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,318
The kart racing is a lot of fun just be aware that it's hard on your body. You feel like you've been beat up after a race.
__________________
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Anyone here who's retired and loves cars (or restoring them)?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Anyone here who's retired and loves cars (or restoring them)?

As a younger man, I HAD to work on cars a lot, just to keep my old clinkers on the road. Now, I want to turn the key or push the button and have the car go "vrrrooom".

Same with computers; at one time it was interesting to fuss with IRQs and DMAs and formatting drives, etc., but not any more...

With an unlimited budget and a big, well-equipped shop, it "might" be fun to build or restore a hotrod or muscle car. Neither of those are likely, so...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
The kart racing is a lot of fun just be aware that it's hard on your body. You feel like you've been beat up after a race.
That's the main reason I've been avoiding it.

Although I gave up Porsche Club time trials when I became a little bored (?!?) with it. After a few years on the same track it was been there and done that, and the first kid was on the way so free time kind of disappeared. I had my 944 Turbo out quite a bit until then. My current Carrera 4 has never been on the track, so maybe one final time sometime.

I did get a few laps in with a Ferrari 458 Italia in Las Vegas a couple of years ago through one of the exotic car driving places. That was fun, and I can still run fast, though I was having problems remembering which paddle did what. Start up was pretty strange too.
__________________
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 567
Ah yes, I forgot to mention my short stint with 150cc sifter karts too. Huge rush but very dangerous in the door-to-door racing setup. I had a couple of karts launch in the air grazing me after having a tire-to-tire contact. As I said it was a short stint and I didn't necessarily enjoy it. Yes 100% agreed on getting beat up...you have to be very fit. I remember after my first time I was out of breath, my mouth was dry and my ribs hurt for weeks - this was only a 6-8 lap practice run.
__________________
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Ah yes, I forgot to mention my short stint with 150cc sifter karts too. Huge rush but very dangerous in the door-to-door racing setup. I had a couple of karts launch in the air grazing me after having a tire-to-tire contact. As I said it was a short stint and I didn't necessarily enjoy it. Yes 100% agreed on getting beat up...you have to be very fit. I remember after my first time I was out of breath, my mouth was dry and my ribs hurt for weeks - this was only a 6-8 lap practice run.
Yep, shifter karts are fun, but for a real adrenal boost, 250cc superkarts come as close to F1 as the average Joe will ever get. Definitely you will pull some big Gs and if your not in shape or your reflexes have slowed and/or you don't have access to a big road course, its not for most.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
.......With an unlimited budget and a big, well-equipped shop, it "might" be fun to build or restore a hotrod or muscle car. Neither of those are likely, so...
We don't have an unlimited budget but we've got the well equipped shop.

__________________
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 105
It is one of my favorite hobbies. Took 6 years to build my 63 vette. Took it auto crossing and fell in love with the sport. Currently building a 69 Camaro, and will sell the 63 to make room in the garage. Will play with that for a year or so, buy the new z06 and sell the Camaro. The z06 will be my track / autocross car when I re. Can't wait!
__________________
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
.....................now I drive a mundane Honda. However, at this stage I simply enjoy buying a bland or 'undesirable model' car and making it work. Replacing tired suspension, rebuilding their abused/neglected motors/transmissions etc and then watching them come alive gives me a sense of accomplishment.
I think the same thing is happening to me. I used to be able to yank an engine out of a car and rebuild it from top to bottom, then re-do the car's body and spray it myself in a friend's garage. I rebuilt a few really nice cars back several years ago.

Now I still have the tools, the knowledge, the money, the time, but I don't have the drive and physical conditioning to do what's necessary in a big event like back then. So I seem to putz around on my daily drive and do all that it needs to survive for a long time and be a fun drive.

I just picked up some costly performance suspension parts and they are sitting on my workbench, waiting for me to get with it. But somehow, I have not been motivated to put the car on jack stands and spend a few days pulling stuff out and replacing it with the goodies. I need to have a serious talk with myself...
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I think the same thing is happening to me. I used to be able to yank an engine out of a car and rebuild it from top to bottom, then re-do the car's body and spray it myself in a friend's garage. I rebuilt a few really nice cars back several years ago.

Now I still have the tools, the knowledge, the money, the time, but I don't have the drive and physical conditioning to do what's necessary in a big event like back then. So I seem to putz around on my daily drive and do all that it needs to survive for a long time and be a fun drive.

I just picked up some costly performance suspension parts and they are sitting on my workbench, waiting for me to get with it. But somehow, I have not been motivated to put the car on jack stands and spend a few days pulling stuff out and replacing it with the goodies. I need to have a serious talk with myself...
I hear you, I'm 39 and approaching the cliff quickly and already I can tell my body isn't as flexible as it once was. But here's something that has been a HUGE help to me when working on cars. I purchased a BendPak P6 lift several years ago and haven't looked back - I honestly can't believe I worked on cars with jacks and jack stands before that. I consider it an "investment" for my sanity, safety and enjoyment
__________________
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets
Willers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 480
Only soon-to-be-retired but this has been a passion forever. My latest fun car was a 1970 Grabber (Lime) Green Mustang Mach 1 with a shaker hood, a 351 Cleveland motor and a 4.11 rear end. Highway driving wasn't fun, but 0-60 sure was. Plus, that shaker was always a hit at stoplights.

My deal with DW was that I'd never spend a dime on mechanical work (labor) and I held to that. I learned a ton and had a lot of fun working on a number of different cars. I estimate that I spent about 5 hours working on them for every hour I drove them. I think my wife was really starting to wonder about my sanity.

I sold out when we moved to the city and I lost the garage space (an wanted to buy a boat). The best part was that they turned out to be my best investment return in that time period.

I'm hoping that in retirement I can get another one to work on. I'm planning to learn to weld when I'm done so that would be a good excuse to practice!
__________________
“If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.” - Warren Miller
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 926
I like muscle cars and sports cars. My current ride is a 2002 ZO6 Corvette. In the 7 years I have had it I have done all the maintenance on it. If I replace it it will be with a 2015 or 2016 ZO6.
__________________
CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.
Mr._Graybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
It is well worth it if you are anywhere near. I did the scenic route, and stopped at each of the falls along the way. Even the interstate thru is gorgeous.
Keim, I knew a guy who bought a very similar Monte Carlo off the showroom floor. Same color, same landau roof. He had white upholstery with swivel buckets. I rode in the car many times.
__________________

__________________
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restoring boat acrylic canvas covers pb4uski Other topics 2 04-22-2014 03:45 PM
Vehicle Safety:IIHS Tests A Few Small Cars Against Medium Cars samclem Other topics 15 04-16-2009 01:29 PM
Hold them or fold them ? (2 CD's) redduck FIRE and Money 5 11-02-2007 04:35 PM
restoring old photographs Martha Other topics 13 11-30-2006 07:25 PM
Restoring Cars and Motorcycles Craig Other topics 17 10-31-2006 03:58 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.