Anyone here who's retired and loves cars (or restoring them)?

Keim, beautiful car...thanks for posting the pic. I have to make that drive some day.

It is well worth it if you are anywhere near. I did the scenic route, and stopped at each of the falls along the way. Even the interstate thru is gorgeous.

Beautiful cars including the 60's Land Rover! Great to see so many enthusiasts here and I can relate to many of you. I guess I've gone through various stages as to what I enjoy about cars. At first it was just having fast cars, then it was modifying them to go faster, after that I got into racing and got my racing license with SCCA and NASA. After that I got involved in motorcycles and 4x4/wheeling and then I slowed down, now I drive a mundane Honda. However, at this stage I simply enjoy buying a bland or 'undesirable model' car and making it work. Replacing tired suspension, rebuilding their abused/neglected motors/transmissions etc and then watching them come alive gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I do wish I had Jay Leno type of a garage/warehouse with everything from a Buggati Veron to an Ariel Atom to an old Studebaker - that guy is a serious car nut, one that doesn't hesitate to spend money on something he's passionate about.

Beautiful cars including the 60's Land Rover! Great to see so many enthusiasts here and I can relate to many of you. I guess I've gone through various stages as to what I enjoy about cars. At first it was just having fast cars, then it was modifying them to go faster, after that I got into racing and got my racing license with SCCA and NASA. After that I got involved in motorcycles and 4x4/wheeling and then I slowed down, now I drive a mundane Honda. However, at this stage I simply enjoy buying a bland or 'undesirable model' car and making it work. Replacing tired suspension, rebuilding their abused/neglected motors/transmissions etc and then watching them come alive gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I do wish I had Jay Leno type of a garage/warehouse with everything from a Buggati Veron to an Ariel Atom to an old Studebaker - that guy is a serious car nut, one that doesn't hesitate to spend money on something he's passionate about.

I have considered getting into 250cc superkart racing. With your racing blood, I'd bet you would enjoy that.
Google Image Result for http://coolmanstuff.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/250cc-superkart.jpg

The kart racing is a lot of fun just be aware that it's hard on your body. You feel like you've been beat up after a race.

As a younger man, I HAD to work on cars a lot, just to keep my old clinkers on the road. Now, I want to turn the key or push the button and have the car go "vrrrooom".

Same with computers; at one time it was interesting to fuss with IRQs and DMAs and formatting drives, etc., but not any more...

With an unlimited budget and a big, well-equipped shop, it "might" be fun to build or restore a hotrod or muscle car. Neither of those are likely, so...

The kart racing is a lot of fun just be aware that it's hard on your body. You feel like you've been beat up after a race.

That's the main reason I've been avoiding it.

Although I gave up Porsche Club time trials when I became a little bored (?!?) with it. After a few years on the same track it was been there and done that, and the first kid was on the way so free time kind of disappeared. I had my 944 Turbo out quite a bit until then. My current Carrera 4 has never been on the track, so maybe one final time sometime.

I did get a few laps in with a Ferrari 458 Italia in Las Vegas a couple of years ago through one of the exotic car driving places. That was fun, and I can still run fast, though I was having problems remembering which paddle did what. Start up was pretty strange too.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention my short stint with 150cc sifter karts too. Huge rush but very dangerous in the door-to-door racing setup. I had a couple of karts launch in the air grazing me after having a tire-to-tire contact. As I said it was a short stint and I didn't necessarily enjoy it. Yes 100% agreed on getting beat up...you have to be very fit. I remember after my first time I was out of breath, my mouth was dry and my ribs hurt for weeks - this was only a 6-8 lap practice run.

Last edited:
Ah yes, I forgot to mention my short stint with 150cc sifter karts too. Huge rush but very dangerous in the door-to-door racing setup. I had a couple of karts launch in the air grazing me after having a tire-to-tire contact. As I said it was a short stint and I didn't necessarily enjoy it. Yes 100% agreed on getting beat up...you have to be very fit. I remember after my first time I was out of breath, my mouth was dry and my ribs hurt for weeks - this was only a 6-8 lap practice run.

Yep, shifter karts are fun, but for a real adrenal boost, 250cc superkarts come as close to F1 as the average Joe will ever get. Definitely you will pull some big Gs and if your not in shape or your reflexes have slowed and/or you don't have access to a big road course, its not for most.

.......With an unlimited budget and a big, well-equipped shop, it "might" be fun to build or restore a hotrod or muscle car. Neither of those are likely, so...

We don't have an unlimited budget but we've got the well equipped shop.

It is one of my favorite hobbies. Took 6 years to build my 63 vette. Took it auto crossing and fell in love with the sport. Currently building a 69 Camaro, and will sell the 63 to make room in the garage. Will play with that for a year or so, buy the new z06 and sell the Camaro. The z06 will be my track / autocross car when I re. Can't wait!

.....................now I drive a mundane Honda. However, at this stage I simply enjoy buying a bland or 'undesirable model' car and making it work. Replacing tired suspension, rebuilding their abused/neglected motors/transmissions etc and then watching them come alive gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I think the same thing is happening to me. I used to be able to yank an engine out of a car and rebuild it from top to bottom, then re-do the car's body and spray it myself in a friend's garage. I rebuilt a few really nice cars back several years ago.

Now I still have the tools, the knowledge, the money, the time, but I don't have the drive and physical conditioning to do what's necessary in a big event like back then. So I seem to putz around on my daily drive and do all that it needs to survive for a long time and be a fun drive.

I just picked up some costly performance suspension parts and they are sitting on my workbench, waiting for me to get with it. But somehow, I have not been motivated to put the car on jack stands and spend a few days pulling stuff out and replacing it with the goodies. I need to have a serious talk with myself...

I think the same thing is happening to me. I used to be able to yank an engine out of a car and rebuild it from top to bottom, then re-do the car's body and spray it myself in a friend's garage. I rebuilt a few really nice cars back several years ago.

Now I still have the tools, the knowledge, the money, the time, but I don't have the drive and physical conditioning to do what's necessary in a big event like back then. So I seem to putz around on my daily drive and do all that it needs to survive for a long time and be a fun drive.

I just picked up some costly performance suspension parts and they are sitting on my workbench, waiting for me to get with it. But somehow, I have not been motivated to put the car on jack stands and spend a few days pulling stuff out and replacing it with the goodies. I need to have a serious talk with myself...

I hear you, I'm 39 and approaching the cliff quickly and already I can tell my body isn't as flexible as it once was. But here's something that has been a HUGE help to me when working on cars. I purchased a BendPak P6 lift several years ago and haven't looked back - I honestly can't believe I worked on cars with jacks and jack stands before that. I consider it an "investment" for my sanity, safety and enjoyment :)

Only soon-to-be-retired but this has been a passion forever. My latest fun car was a 1970 Grabber (Lime) Green Mustang Mach 1 with a shaker hood, a 351 Cleveland motor and a 4.11 rear end. Highway driving wasn't fun, but 0-60 sure was. Plus, that shaker was always a hit at stoplights.

My deal with DW was that I'd never spend a dime on mechanical work (labor) and I held to that. I learned a ton and had a lot of fun working on a number of different cars. I estimate that I spent about 5 hours working on them for every hour I drove them. I think my wife was really starting to wonder about my sanity.

I sold out when we moved to the city and I lost the garage space (an wanted to buy a boat). The best part was that they turned out to be my best investment return in that time period.

I'm hoping that in retirement I can get another one to work on. I'm planning to learn to weld when I'm done so that would be a good excuse to practice!

I like muscle cars and sports cars. My current ride is a 2002 ZO6 Corvette. In the 7 years I have had it I have done all the maintenance on it. If I replace it it will be with a 2015 or 2016 ZO6.

It is well worth it if you are anywhere near. I did the scenic route, and stopped at each of the falls along the way. Even the interstate thru is gorgeous.

Keim, I knew a guy who bought a very similar Monte Carlo off the showroom floor. Same color, same landau roof. He had white upholstery with swivel buckets. I rode in the car many times.

Keim, I knew a guy who bought a very similar Monte Carlo off the showroom floor. Same color, same landau roof. He had white upholstery with swivel buckets. I rode in the car many times.
I hope he liked it as much as I like mine. Bought it in 1984!

Hot rods - 1936 Ford coupe; 1940 Ford coupe; 1929 Ford model A.
Sports cars - 1972 240Z (highly modified) only 20k miles; 1997 Miata.
4x4s - 1942 Willys Jeep; 2004 RAM diesel; 1995 RAM gas.
Motorcycles - 2 street; 5 off-road.

I like vehicles.

I like muscle cars and sports cars. My current ride is a 2002 ZO6 Corvette. In the 7 years I have had it I have done all the maintenance on it. If I replace it it will be with a 2015 or 2016 ZO6.

We think we'll add a 2015 this Fall. Been fighting over colors. I want Lime Rock Green with a Brownstone interior. My husband wants either Crystal Red or Laguna Blue. No Z06, I'd probably kill myself.

1989 glacier white corvette is my only car for the last 20 years or so. Bought it when it was exactly 3 years old just off warranty from a lady neighbor (GM employee) that babied it - for half off sticker ... $17k.

One of my first projects being retired was changing out the head gaskets - month-long project where I biked for tools and parts, I sure learned a lot in that month. I worked thru each day or just gathered up the parts, and each night studied what I needed to do on youtube- like adjusting all the valves.

I was somewhat lucky that I caught the head gasket failure when I was home. Antifreeze just poured out of the block. Leak was to the outside so no antifreeze in the cylinders. Did all the work myself except for getting the heads machined at the shop. Replaced almost all parts and also found my intermittent start problem that was elusive for those 20 years - turned out to be distributor's sensor's magnet on the distributor shaft was shattered (though intact so fooled me previously). I save it as a souvenir.

Lucky too I had a fresh case of beer at home to last me the entire month, I only made a couple bike beer runs near the end.

I really appreciate working on cars now... and respect those that do too. I now frequently bike to Redondo car show held every Friday at Ruby's by the beach.

It was unnerving having the entire engine disassembled and dislocated with the heads and intake at the machine shop. There were moments I thought it may never start again. Purrs like a kitten now. Still my only car.

As a younger man, I HAD to work on cars a lot, just to keep my old clinkers on the road. Now, I want to turn the key or push the button and have the car go "vrrrooom".

Same with computers; at one time it was interesting to fuss with IRQs and DMAs and formatting drives, etc., but not any more...

With an unlimited budget and a big, well-equipped shop, it "might" be fun to build or restore a hotrod or muscle car. Neither of those are likely, so...

In my youth I had the same opportunities. Swapping engines and trannys out of mid sixties Fords taught me a lot. The frame would rot out on one with a good engine and I'd pay $75 and take out the driveline and scrap the rest. The tough part was getting a good transmission. Changing out the water pump in my BIL's '62 Impala outside in an ice storm was another special memory. I swore if I became successful I wouldn't even lift the hood of another vehicle.
Well, I guess I'm not successful, because I still do 95% of my own car repairs. But that's mainly because I'm cheap, not for the love of the experience.

1989 glacier white corvette is my only car for the last 20 years or so. Bought it when it was exactly 3 years old just off warranty from a lady neighbor (GM employee) that babied it - for half off sticker ... $17k.

One of my first projects being retired was changing out the head gaskets - month-long project where I biked for tools and parts, I sure learned a lot in that month. I worked thru each day or just gathered up the parts, and each night studied what I needed to do on youtube- like adjusting all the valves.

I was somewhat lucky that I caught the head gasket failure when I was home. Antifreeze just poured out of the block. Leak was to the outside so no antifreeze in the cylinders. Did all the work myself except for getting the heads machined at the shop. Replaced almost all parts and also found my intermittent start problem that was elusive for those 20 years - turned out to be distributor's sensor's magnet on the distributor shaft was shattered (though intact so fooled me previously). I save it as a souvenir.

Lucky too I had a fresh case of beer at home to last me the entire month, I only made a couple bike beer runs near the end.

I really appreciate working on cars now... and respect those that do too. I now frequently bike to Redondo car show held every Friday at Ruby's by the beach.

It was unnerving having the entire engine disassembled and dislocated with the heads and intake at the machine shop. There were moments I thought it may never start again. Purrs like a kitten now. Still my only car.

Congrats on completing an elaborate job. It had to be a real confidence builder.

In my youth I had the same opportunities. Swapping engines and trannys out of mid sixties Fords taught me a lot. The frame would rot out on one with a good engine and I'd pay $75 and take out the driveline and scrap the rest. The tough part was getting a good transmission. Changing out the water pump in my BIL's '62 Impala outside in an ice storm was another special memory. I swore if I became successful I wouldn't even lift the hood of another vehicle.
Well, I guess I'm not successful, because I still do 95% of my own car repairs. But that's mainly because I'm cheap, not for the love of the experience.

I'm cheap, but I also have faith that the job will be done right if I do it myself. I've had some bad experiences with lackadaisical repair jobs.

I'm not fully retired, and I'm not much of a mechanic, but for about 10 years we owned a 1965 Monterey Convertible. It was all original and we bought it from the original owners - literally a "little old lady" and her husband - it was her car, and only had 46k miles on it when we bought it in the mid 1990's. Used it a lot for parades and ice cream cone runs when the kids were in school. It was a beaut and we had a lot of fun in it.

Attached is a picture of us crossing the finish line at the Brickyard in Indianapolis. We were there for a Mercury Owner's Convention and all got to take a lap around the track!

Attachments

• M15 w Indy Finish Line.jpg
    M15 w Indy Finish Line.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 8
I'm not fully retired, and I'm not much of a mechanic, but for about 10 years we owned a 1965 Monterey Convertible. It was all original and we bought it from the original owners - literally a "little old lady" and her husband - it was her car, and only had 46k miles on it when we bought it in the mid 1990's. Used it a lot for parades and ice cream cone runs when the kids were in school. It was a beaut and we had a lot of fun in it.

Attached is a picture of us crossing the finish line at the Brickyard in Indianapolis. We were there for a Mercury Owner's Convention and all got to take a lap around the track!

Great car! But did you get out and kiss the bricks (like Nascar drivers) after you crossed the finish line?

.........Attached is a picture of us crossing the finish line at the Brickyard in Indianapolis. We were there for a Mercury Owner's Convention and all got to take a lap around the track!

Wow, look at you! Nice ride!

Back
Top Bottom