Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Both of my homes are in Arizona. The main home is in the outer fringe of Phoenix, while the boondocks home is in the AZ high country at 7,000 ft where many people have their weekend home to escape the summer heat. The drive between the two is only 2-1/2 hour.

Sorry I misled about the solar. I wish to have room for solar at the main home (a standard 1/4-acre lot) where I use 2100 kWh/year. And at the high-country home I could even go off-grid with solar if I use propane for heating. However, I do not use enough electricity up there to justify a solar system even though I have room. Some thieves would also dismantle it and haul it away when I am not there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Another drawback of living in the boondocks: you are too far from an international airport. My high-country home is not near any commercial airport, and air travel would become more of an ordeal with the hassle of getting to/from the airport.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone move from the city to a ranch/farm? - day dreaming here...

I have a problem with living in a boondocks if one of us, husband and I, is gone. It can be isolating. In our suburb/city-ish neighborhood, it's pretty quiet in the day because everybody has to go to work to pay for the expensive housing.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #64

Great thread. I wonder what population density defines "boonies". I googled my far suburban Illinois zip code on towncharts.com and found my density to be 131 people per sq mile. Seems low to me, but I don't consider where I live to be"boonies". It would be interesting to see what the population densities are for the farm, ranch and boonies areas posted about here.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Great thread. I wonder what population density defines "boonies". I googled my far suburban Illinois zip code on towncharts.com and found my density to be 131 people per sq mile.
Wow, that seems crowded to me. We're at 19.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Whoa! That is great! I'd love to live in a place like that. DW definitely not.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Population density of my city is 4700+ - no wonder I want to get out of here
Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Neat site. Population density for my ZIP code is 13 people per square mile. Average Male age 60.2. I'm younger then average. Average female age is 54.6.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Yes 911 can be an issue. For many reasons we use 1911 prior to the phone.

Does not work for fire or ambulance, but there's a price for privacy.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

The population density of my township went from 80 to 120 per square mile between 2000 and 2010, according to census figures. We may have to get out of this teeming anthill soon.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #71

3374 for population density for my town, I'm sure the number is higher now.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #72

Population density in my county is under 42/sq mi. One third of those live in the two largest towns.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Does that include the wild pigs, scorpions, and fire ants?
Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

According to that site towncharts.com, my main metropolitan home area has a population density of 2600/sq.mi. This is about as high as I can stand.

My boonies home is at 240/sq.mi. This is about right, as the unincorporated town of 3000 is squeezed into a few miles of private land along the highway, which is surrounded by a national forest.

I looked up some other numbers for a feel of how other people live.

Manhattan: 71,434
San Francisco: 17,680
San Diego: 4,125
Los Angeles: 8,241
Long Beach: 9,313
Silver Spring 9,605

That last city in Maryland, just 6 miles from Washington DC, is where my best friend lives. I did not realize it is more crowded than Long Beach, CA, another town I visited often. His neighborhood is nicely wooded, and his backyard is visited by deer quite often. One would not realize the density is so high.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone move from the city to a ranch/farm? - day dreaming here...

One drawback, if you are a single female with a love of scary books and movies, living on acreage can be spooky at times. Once in a while I will just swear there are clowns and lunatics living out in the woods 😳

Wild Irish Rogue
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
According to that site towncharts.com, my main metropolitan home area has a population density of 2600/sq.mi. This is about as high as I can stand.

My boonies home is at 240/sq.mi. This is about right, as the unincorporated town of 3000 is squeezed into a few miles of private land along the highway, which is surrounded by a national forest.

I looked up some other numbers for a feel of how other people live.

Manhattan: 71,434
San Francisco: 17,680
San Diego: 4,125
Los Angeles: 8,241
Long Beach: 9,313
Silver Spring 9,605

That last city in Maryland, just 6 miles from Washington DC, is where my best friend lives. I did not realize it is more crowded than Long Beach, CA, another town I visited often. His neighborhood is nicely wooded, and his backyard is visited by deer quite often. One would not realize the density is so high.
The part of Silver Spring that butts right up against DC is incredibly dense. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't more like 15K. But outside the beltway are a lot of older neighborhoods that are much less dense. I suspect that brings the numbers down to the reported number.

As far as the deer, we're overrun with the critters. Especially in MD, which isn't very hunter friendly. Every year or so you hear of some idiot getting arrested for trying to shoot one in Rock Creek Park (downtown DC), often with a handgun.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
One drawback, if you are a single female with a love of scary books and movies, living on acreage can be spooky at times. Once in a while I will just swear there are clowns and lunatics living out in the woods ��
^ What she said.

Shortly after moving out here we had a week of foggy weather, the thick, pea-soup variety where we never saw the sun. No lights visible at night, only a wall of black outside the windows. And dead quiet. Spooky.

Just reminded of another downside to living out here. While looking for a contractor to paint the exterior of our house, the first two I called said no thanks, they had plenty of business without driving 15 miles outside the city for a job.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The part of Silver Spring that butts right up against DC is incredibly dense. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't more like 15K. But outside the beltway are a lot of older neighborhoods that are much less dense. I suspect that brings the numbers down to the reported number.

As far as the deer, we're overrun with the critters. Especially in MD, which isn't very hunter friendly. Every year or so you hear of some idiot getting arrested for trying to shoot one in Rock Creek Park (downtown DC), often with a handgun.
You sound like someone who lives there.

Yes, I looked again at the map, and indeed my friend is on the north side of Silver Spring, and the distance to the White House is 13 miles, not 6 miles. It is a lot closer to I-370 than I-495. When I visited him in my RV a couple of years back, thought about parking it at Rock Creek Park Cherry Hill Park, but was able to leave it at a dead-end street not too far from his home.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
One drawback, if you are a single female with a love of scary books and movies, living on acreage can be spooky at times. Once in a while I will just swear there are clowns and lunatics living out in the woods 😳

Wild Irish Rogue
I'm with you! My zip code density is 69, and the neighbors are pretty far away. And I'm very prone to reading or watching something scary and then being petrified. As DH is traveling more since he quit working, I'm very glad for the yard full of dogs and our roommate. I am not sure I could live here alone, honestly.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Funny you should mention Rock Creek Park. I was just complaining to a friend about the silly rules created by those inside the Beltway. I used Rock Creek Park as their idea of the boonies.

The local county government wants the kids camp to pave about 12 miles of road to get out here if a fairly small family ministry building is built. This is just in case there should ever be over 100 cars on that road in a day. I'm pretty sure this is driven by federal regulations. On a busy summer day you might pass 3 or 4 cars coming out this way. The population density by zip code here is 30/sq mi.