Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
DD #2 has 5 more months in high school and DS #2 has 2 years and 5 months to go. I am counting the days. Have been looking at real estate in my chosen retirement haven for the past 10 years...

I think I am a couple of years behind you but on same trajectory. Still shopping for a retirement spot. Working that into family travel when I can. Mind me asking which spot(s) you have found appealing for retirement ?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
you might want to consider auctioning your big items such as furniture and buying new once you find your dream home. The cost to move twice is very expensive especially if one is a long distance move. Sometimes your old furniture works OK as it did for us, but sometimes it won't work so you might be better off buying new.
+1

It is fun to have all new furniture in the new place, that fits the space available "to a T" and also compliments the style of the new place perfectly.

Also, you are essentially getting a big discount on new furniture because you won't have to pay to move your old furniture twice. It also would make the move less of a headache for all involved, IMO. It is definitely worth considering the idea of not moving any furniture that is easily replaceable.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I want to downsize, DW does not. I'm closing in on 60, and the constant work to maintain a 3800 sf house and workshop on 5 acres is taking its toll on me. I would like a 1300 sf place in town. And have a workshop - 2 car detached garage would be enough.
This is us, I feel your pain! But opposite. My husband loves the big house and large property. I can't wait to move. We are 58 and 60 - I told him no longer than 4 years more. I am sick of cleaning the house, paying high utilities and doing yard work.

I have started cleaning stuff out in the house - I am putting it all on the table in formal dining room - letting the grown kids look through and take anything they want.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will be moving to a condo in my same area--no more than a couple blocks to 1-2 miles away. There are lots of possibilities here from converted mansions to high rises.

I've started to clean some things out and it feels good. The unknown factor is where I will land. I have no idea whether my furniture will work or not--both size and aesthetics. I am moving from a very traditional 1915 Craftsman, with antique period furniture. Part of me would love something very different ie. modern. Since the move itself won't be very expensive I wonder if the better plan is to just move everything I "think" will work and then downsize from the new place. Anyway, I am starting to sort, throw away, and give away now.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Since the move itself won't be very expensive I wonder if the better plan is to just move everything I "think" will work and then downsize from the new place. Anyway, I am starting to sort, throw away, and give away now.
I moved from a Craftsman home to a modern condo, though it's not stainless steel and concrete modern. I was selective in what I brought with me, but most of my furniture is traditional. I was surprised how well it looked in the new place. I brought a wingback chair because I thought it was a shame to give it away. It's perfect for the corner in my Shaker bedroom; in fact I am sitting on it now. Eclectic design is welcoming.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

10 years ago we built our dreamhome. With the kids leaving, the cost of taxes, heating and maintaining, it doesn't make sense to keep it despite loving it.

Knowing that we will be downsizing in a couple of years when the kids are off to college has really helped with reducing spending. We have started to get rid of extra stuff - books, a few bits of furniture, etc. and it makes you realize you need less not more!

We will be moving from our 3500 squarefoot home on 30 acres to our 900 square foot lake cabin and 2300 squarefoot furnished winter home in Utah. I am glad we have lots of time to get rid of the extra stuff in this house though the kids are going to HATE the process.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #27

Did you just do this move in reverse not too long ago? IE condo to house.. I remember a thread you had about it as you are in the St Paul area...sorry, but I'm a little confused.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #28

Good memory ivinsfan. Yes, it is a tangled story. I moved from a condo to a house and have decided to flip the house--and go back to a condo. Again, long story. . .but the house is just too big and I now realize how convenient a condo is for my lifestyle. Live and learn.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #29

I went back and revisited that thread. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the way things turned out for you. Keep us in the loop as your story continues and good luck.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We looked at town homes today. The problem we face is the town homes that are more urban yet low density in area with lots of trees are often older, still pricey and have extensive dry rot. Is the dry rot a problem in other areas? Is it because of the pier and beam foundations? It seems to be a common problem with the older aged town homes we've looked at.

We can get newer ones without the problem but they are usually out of town and not in as walkable areas.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

We're starting the slow process (could be we need to do this in the spring, possibly another few years) of downsizing. I found the following book an interesting approach:
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing - Kindle edition by Marie Kondo. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually in the pro less of moving right now..it's overwhelming.

Put my house on the market Jan 10th expecting to close by April..sold in 24 hours and need to be out by Feb 24th.. can't pass up an all cash no contingency offer.

I've been downsizing for about a year but it's not enough. Add to it that you are paying by the pound for out of state move and now you have real incentive. Going from 2500 say ft plus garage and attic to 1100 say ft is tough.

I quite my job on the 11th, moving truck on the 20th and driving out 23rd.
Still have to deal with paperwork to move in.. renters insurance and such
Still dealing with getting rid of stuff..the big items not a problem but like trash..garbage is full and no where to go, have sister picking up remaining items..but pile growing as I decide it's still too much stuff..as I'd never recommend downsizing in winter..it's just too hard to even give stuff away when no one wants to come out in -5 degree weather.

Once on the other side I can deal with the rest of the stuff like health insurance,dmv, etc... it's just too much for right now. When I get there we shall see if I calculated it correctly
Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

When I downsized a couple of years ago to this zero clearance house I got rid of most of my furniture. I bought only things that I could move around on my own. No more big sofa, only 4 matching chairs in the living room in example. It is really nice and I don't need to get someone to help me move something.

I am on another purge now. I have decided if I haven't used it in this house by now, it is not going to stay. I have gotten rid of a lot of specialty bakeware. I have gone gluten free and am I really going to make muffin tops again. I also have gotten rid of a lot of serving pieces, I hardly cook for myself anymore let alone make big meals for others.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #34

Quote:
I'm single in a 4 bedroom 1600 sq ft home. Although I'm still some years from retirement my goal is to sell the home this spring and move into a condo. I want to do this while I still have plenty of energy and health. Two bedrooms in about 1000 sq ft seems perfect to me. I have realized that at age 58 I no longer have any interest in yardwork and want to keep my home life as simple as possible. My priorities now are friends and travel.

But I am dreading the whole process. For one, I have to sell before I can buy (for peace of mind and finances). Thus I may have to rent for awhile if nothing suitable is on the market when I am looking. Then there is the process of downsizing the stuff I have now. Just don't know how to handle all the work that looms ahead in the process. My realtor is coming this Monday for an initial consultation, so I have to get going on decisions.

Anyone in the same boat?
I am 42, yo divorced with half custody of kids.
I listed my 2600 sq ft town house last weekend, and I am looking to change my place of living to a smaller condo, and likely buy another condo or two to rent out.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #35

Quote:
I've started to clean some things out and it feels good. The unknown factor is where I will land. I have no idea whether my furniture will work or not--both size and aesthetics. I am moving from a very traditional 1915 Craftsman, with antique period furniture. Part of me would love something very different ie. modern. Since the move itself won't be very expensive I wonder if the better plan is to just move everything I "think" will work and then downsize from the new place. Anyway, I am starting to sort, throw away, and give away now.
Most of our moves were without much furniture, the last few were with a house full. It is much more difficult to find the "right" condo if the current furniture has to fit. If you're able to mentally let go of those things, the search is so much easier.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #36

After two 4000+ square foot houses, we downsized to 2350 square feet--and I finished 900 sq. ft. basement as nice as upstairs. Our problem is that our parents and relatives have died off and left us some great furniture. I ended up with an equivalent to 5 single car garages full of stuff.

We bought our daughter a $105K 2300 square foot fixer upper in a very nice neighborhood. Her den is 16'x40', the L/R is 14'x31' and there's a 20'x24' playroom. We're offloading our extra furniture to her house.

It would have been impossible to maintain such large houses had we not been living in such an inexpensive housing market with some of the lowest property taxes in the U.S. Because my wife is disabled, we don't have property taxes on our primary residence.

I know that home is home, no matter where you're from. But I cringe when I see the prices of housing in the Far North on HGTV, especially in NYC and Toronto. And property taxes in Wisconsin, Nebraska and New Jersey are more than our entire cost of housing.

My point is that if you're overwhelmed with a high cost of living, there are places to live with a much higher quality of life at a much lower cost. For big city, that's Atlanta and Houston. The rest of the South has medium size cities that are so affordable.

While you're freezing your tails off in New England or Minneapolis, our low cost of living allows to be sitting in Hawaii for a few weeks before touring California for a week on our way home.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #37

Will be watching these types of threads. Will be selling Condo in Mid-West and moving back to Florida. Sale will hopefully occur this spring or summer. Three level 3,000 SF Condo is too large for two and now that it is going to serve only one (DW recently deceased) not to mention the very cold weather in the Mid-West. Looking around NE Florida the past couple of weeks (where we lived 10 years ago) I am seeing some very nice places but will be taking it slow for now. Retired Military so NAS Jacksonville is very convenient.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Will be watching these types of threads. Will be selling Condo in Mid-West and moving back to Florida. Sale will hopefully occur this spring or summer. Three level 3,000 SF Condo is too large for two and now that it is going to serve only one (DW recently deceased) not to mention the very cold weather in the Mid-West. Looking around NE Florida the past couple of weeks (where we lived 10 years ago) I am seeing some very nice places but will be taking it slow for now. Retired Military so NAS Jacksonville is very convenient.
Sorry for your loss, as you take it slow I hope things become more clear and easier for you. It must be very difficult to switch between an us and a
me mindset when making big changes like this.

You mentioned before that as time went on you might share a few of the things you were going through, I hope to read that thread sometime.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have never heard of condo boards having this power. Obviously the laws of New York State allow it. However, I know this scrutiny takes place in cooperatives.

Regardless, condo buyers should do their own due diligence on the condo board, bylaws, and reserve fund, as well as becoming familiar with applicable legislation.
Our condo board in FL has this power. Financial statement, interview, references. Done after the crash I think. It's a deed restriction and completely enforceable. It was fine. Once you go through it, you realize how nice it is to make sure no mistakes are made with future neighbors.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Marita,

I am considering putting my condo in downtown Minneapolis on the market, and have the same fears you expressed. I just got some painting done today, and thinking about the preparation for open houses and moving exhausts me. But if I want a certain lifestyle, I need to do the work and move forward.

One step at a time. Today painting, next weekend deep cleaning, then several weekends of decluttering. My goal is to be ready to talk to agents in early spring (which around here could be May or June).

Best of luck on your preparation and sale. I am sure you can find something desirable - there are so many awesome condo's in the area.