Anyone Planning to Move/Downsize Soon?

10 years ago we built our dreamhome. With the kids leaving, the cost of taxes, heating and maintaining, it doesn't make sense to keep it despite loving it.

Knowing that we will be downsizing in a couple of years when the kids are off to college has really helped with reducing spending. We have started to get rid of extra stuff - books, a few bits of furniture, etc. and it makes you realize you need less not more!

We will be moving from our 3500 squarefoot home on 30 acres to our 900 square foot lake cabin and 2300 squarefoot furnished winter home in Utah. I am glad we have lots of time to get rid of the extra stuff in this house though the kids are going to HATE the process.

Did you just do this move in reverse not too long ago? IE condo to house.. I remember a thread you had about it as you are in the St Paul area...sorry, but I'm a little confused.

Good memory ivinsfan. Yes, it is a tangled story. I moved from a condo to a house and have decided to flip the house--and go back to a condo. Again, long story. . .but the house is just too big and I now realize how convenient a condo is for my lifestyle. Live and learn.

I went back and revisited that thread. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the way things turned out for you. Keep us in the loop as your story continues and good luck.

We looked at town homes today. The problem we face is the town homes that are more urban yet low density in area with lots of trees are often older, still pricey and have extensive dry rot. Is the dry rot a problem in other areas? Is it because of the pier and beam foundations? It seems to be a common problem with the older aged town homes we've looked at.

We can get newer ones without the problem but they are usually out of town and not in as walkable areas.

Last edited:
Actually in the pro less of moving right now..it's overwhelming.

Put my house on the market Jan 10th expecting to close by April..sold in 24 hours and need to be out by Feb 24th.. can't pass up an all cash no contingency offer.

I've been downsizing for about a year but it's not enough. Add to it that you are paying by the pound for out of state move and now you have real incentive. Going from 2500 say ft plus garage and attic to 1100 say ft is tough.

I quite my job on the 11th, moving truck on the 20th and driving out 23rd.
Still have to deal with paperwork to move in.. renters insurance and such
Still dealing with getting rid of stuff..the big items not a problem but like trash..garbage is full and no where to go, have sister picking up remaining items..but pile growing as I decide it's still too much stuff..as I'd never recommend downsizing in winter..it's just too hard to even give stuff away when no one wants to come out in -5 degree weather.

Once on the other side I can deal with the rest of the stuff like health insurance,dmv, etc... it's just too much for right now. When I get there we shall see if I calculated it correctly

When I downsized a couple of years ago to this zero clearance house I got rid of most of my furniture. I bought only things that I could move around on my own. No more big sofa, only 4 matching chairs in the living room in example. It is really nice and I don't need to get someone to help me move something.

I am on another purge now. I have decided if I haven't used it in this house by now, it is not going to stay. I have gotten rid of a lot of specialty bakeware. I have gone gluten free and am I really going to make muffin tops again. I also have gotten rid of a lot of serving pieces, I hardly cook for myself anymore let alone make big meals for others.

Last edited:
I'm single in a 4 bedroom 1600 sq ft home. Although I'm still some years from retirement my goal is to sell the home this spring and move into a condo. I want to do this while I still have plenty of energy and health. Two bedrooms in about 1000 sq ft seems perfect to me. I have realized that at age 58 I no longer have any interest in yardwork and want to keep my home life as simple as possible. My priorities now are friends and travel.

But I am dreading the whole process. For one, I have to sell before I can buy (for peace of mind and finances). Thus I may have to rent for awhile if nothing suitable is on the market when I am looking. Then there is the process of downsizing the stuff I have now. Just don't know how to handle all the work that looms ahead in the process. My realtor is coming this Monday for an initial consultation, so I have to get going on decisions.

Anyone in the same boat?:blush:

I am 42, yo divorced with half custody of kids.
I listed my 2600 sq ft town house last weekend, and I am looking to change my place of living to a smaller condo, and likely buy another condo or two to rent out.

I've started to clean some things out and it feels good. The unknown factor is where I will land. I have no idea whether my furniture will work or not--both size and aesthetics. I am moving from a very traditional 1915 Craftsman, with antique period furniture. Part of me would love something very different ie. modern. Since the move itself won't be very expensive I wonder if the better plan is to just move everything I "think" will work and then downsize from the new place. Anyway, I am starting to sort, throw away, and give away now.
Most of our moves were without much furniture, the last few were with a house full. It is much more difficult to find the "right" condo if the current furniture has to fit. If you're able to mentally let go of those things, the search is so much easier.

After two 4000+ square foot houses, we downsized to 2350 square feet--and I finished 900 sq. ft. basement as nice as upstairs. Our problem is that our parents and relatives have died off and left us some great furniture. I ended up with an equivalent to 5 single car garages full of stuff.

We bought our daughter a $105K 2300 square foot fixer upper in a very nice neighborhood. Her den is 16'x40', the L/R is 14'x31' and there's a 20'x24' playroom. We're offloading our extra furniture to her house.

It would have been impossible to maintain such large houses had we not been living in such an inexpensive housing market with some of the lowest property taxes in the U.S. Because my wife is disabled, we don't have property taxes on our primary residence.

I know that home is home, no matter where you're from. But I cringe when I see the prices of housing in the Far North on HGTV, especially in NYC and Toronto. And property taxes in Wisconsin, Nebraska and New Jersey are more than our entire cost of housing.

My point is that if you're overwhelmed with a high cost of living, there are places to live with a much higher quality of life at a much lower cost. For big city, that's Atlanta and Houston. The rest of the South has medium size cities that are so affordable.

While you're freezing your tails off in New England or Minneapolis, our low cost of living allows to be sitting in Hawaii for a few weeks before touring California for a week on our way home.

Will be watching these types of threads. Will be selling Condo in Mid-West and moving back to Florida. Sale will hopefully occur this spring or summer. Three level 3,000 SF Condo is too large for two and now that it is going to serve only one (DW recently deceased) not to mention the very cold weather in the Mid-West. Looking around NE Florida the past couple of weeks (where we lived 10 years ago) I am seeing some very nice places but will be taking it slow for now. Retired Military so NAS Jacksonville is very convenient.

Will be watching these types of threads. Will be selling Condo in Mid-West and moving back to Florida. Sale will hopefully occur this spring or summer. Three level 3,000 SF Condo is too large for two and now that it is going to serve only one (DW recently deceased) not to mention the very cold weather in the Mid-West. Looking around NE Florida the past couple of weeks (where we lived 10 years ago) I am seeing some very nice places but will be taking it slow for now. Retired Military so NAS Jacksonville is very convenient.

Sorry for your loss, as you take it slow I hope things become more clear and easier for you. It must be very difficult to switch between an us and a
me mindset when making big changes like this.

You mentioned before that as time went on you might share a few of the things you were going through, I hope to read that thread sometime.

I have never heard of condo boards having this power. Obviously the laws of New York State allow it. However, I know this scrutiny takes place in cooperatives.

Regardless, condo buyers should do their own due diligence on the condo board, bylaws, and reserve fund, as well as becoming familiar with applicable legislation.

Our condo board in FL has this power. Financial statement, interview, references. Done after the crash I think. It's a deed restriction and completely enforceable. It was fine. Once you go through it, you realize how nice it is to make sure no mistakes are made with future neighbors.

Marita,

I am considering putting my condo in downtown Minneapolis on the market, and have the same fears you expressed. I just got some painting done today, and thinking about the preparation for open houses and moving exhausts me. But if I want a certain lifestyle, I need to do the work and move forward.

One step at a time. Today painting, next weekend deep cleaning, then several weekends of decluttering. My goal is to be ready to talk to agents in early spring (which around here could be May or June).

Best of luck on your preparation and sale. I am sure you can find something desirable - there are so many awesome condo's in the area.

We have talked briefly about moving, no real idea where to end up. In the meantime we are slowly de-cluttering by throwing out books that are no use, and will never be read again.
These are text books so only about 10/wk can go in the recycle bins due to weight.
I'm also conscious to not buy more stuff !!
I am the bit of a packrat, so its emotionally hard to part with stuff however having the goal of getting rid of stuff so we can move to a warmer, lower tax state is a lot of motivation. :D

Every February, I plan to move.

But then Spring happens, and there are no floods or hurricanes or tornadoes or wildfires or droughts or drive-by shootings or street gangs or traffic jams or fire ants or rattlesnakes or alligators or...did I miss anything ? ;)

...and I decide to stay put in upstate NY, just east of the middle of Nowhere. It truly is beautiful up here. Fresh air, open spaces, nice slow pace of life.

I may change my mind someday. But not this year. :cool:

But then Spring happens, and there are no floods or hurricanes or tornadoes or wildfires or droughts or drive-by shootings or street gangs or traffic jams or fire ants or rattlesnakes or alligators or...did I miss anything ? ;)

:

Yes'm. Earthquakes.

Lagniappe, where are you planning to move? Apartment or single family home?
If I weren't a committed St. Paul-ite I'd come look at your downtown Mpls condo!
I had an initial meeting with my realtor yesterday. . .first step taken.

Lagniappe, where are you planning to move? Apartment or single family home?
If I weren't a committed St. Paul-ite I'd come look at your downtown Mpls condo!
I had an initial meeting with my realtor yesterday. . .first step taken.

Based on today's weather, I'm thinking Florida!

I am definitely a condo kind of person - considering renting an apartment/ condo after reading several accounts of the ease of apartment life (Alan on this site and JimCollinsNH). I probably should have rented when I moved last time, but old habits...

...and I decide to stay put in upstate NY, just east of the middle of Nowhere. It truly is beautiful up here. Fresh air, open spaces, nice slow pace of life.

I may change my mind someday. But not this year. :cool:

+1 though DH and I did this throughout the years we lived in the land of floods, wildfires, earthquakes, drive-bys, street gangs, traffic jams, etc.

Then we made our escape to Ohio. Yup, you're right!. I'll stay here for sure.....though it was -6 yesterday, the views out the window are gorgeous and, with ER, I don't have to go out unless I want to!

Plus DS and his wife live nearby and hope to start a family. Just too many good reasons to stay!

Put my house on the market Jan 10th expecting to close by April..sold in 24 hours and need to be out by Feb 24th.. can't pass up an all cash no contingency offer.

That happened to my brother and SIL! They ended up spending 6 months in a condo and finally moved into their dream home on a lake in the Carolinas this month. Their furniture arrived last weekend. DH and I are planning to put the house on the market as soon as we get the pool opened (likely late April) and I know we need to be prepared jut in case there's a quick sale.

We will be downsizing this year from a 5500 sq-ft house with a 2500 sq-ft garage into a 120 sq-ft RV with a 80 sq-ft garage.

We will be downsizing this year from a 5500 sq-ft house with a 2500 sq-ft garage into a 120 sq-ft RV with a 80 sq-ft garage.

You win the most percentage downsizing award!

My earliest potential moving would be about 1.5 years, and I should take the advice of many to do some decluttering and getting rid of stuff in preparation for that.

We have talked briefly about moving, no real idea where to end up. In the meantime we are slowly de-cluttering by throwing out books that are no use, and will never be read again.
These are text books so only about 10/wk can go in the recycle bins due to weight.
I'm also conscious to not buy more stuff !!
I am the bit of a packrat, so its emotionally hard to part with stuff however having the goal of getting rid of stuff so we can move to a warmer, lower tax state is a lot of motivation. :D

I can see how it is hard to change from packrat to declutterer. My GF is bad about this and knows it. She even bought a book about how to declutter and it too has just become part of the clutter. I get a bit nervous thinking about when she moves in down the road. Every month I pull a couple of trash bags out of the drawer and don't stop throwing stuff away until they are both full.
If I could just tie her up to a chair and go in her house, in 3 hours I could put a big dent in the declutter process but she would probably have a nervous breakdown watching the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom