Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For those asking, almost every stand-up workstation is adjustable (the one I'm getting even motorized) to raise and lower. The point being that staying in the same position all day every day is a bad idea. Sitting weakens your core muscles, and causes leg and core muscles to shorten. Standing all day can cause lower back issues if your core is weak, but at the same time standing enhances core strength if you remember to engage it as we're designed...

Many (most?) non-trauma-related chronic lower back issues are caused by two things: (1) a weak core; and (2) tight/short hamstrings. Sitting for 8 hours a day, every day (or even close to that much), for 30-50 years of employment, school, etc., certainly contributes to both, and the effect is exacerbated if you never exercise.

So, it's not about standing all day. It's about having the ability to stand for an hour, sit for an hour, etc., and not lose productivity. I know when I stand, I stay awake easier too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I made my own standing computer desk a couple of years ago for zero cost. I love it!

One of the unforeseen side benefits is that after an hour or so I begin to realize that I've been standing there for an hour or so. That's a great motivator to quit for a while and go do something more productive.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
For those asking, almost every stand-up workstation is adjustable (the one I'm getting even motorized) to raise and lower. The point being that staying in the same position all day every day is a bad idea. Sitting weakens your core muscles, and causes leg and core muscles to shorten. Standing all day can cause lower back issues if your core is weak, but at the same time standing enhances core strength if you remember to engage it as we're designed...

Many (most?) non-trauma-related chronic lower back issues are caused by two things: (1) a weak core; and (2) tight/short hamstrings. Sitting for 8 hours a day, every day (or even close to that much), for 30-50 years of employment, school, etc., certainly contributes to both, and the effect is exacerbated if you never exercise.

So, it's not about standing all day. It's about having the ability to stand for an hour, sit for an hour, etc., and not lose productivity. I know when I stand, I stay awake easier too.
Which model are you getting?

Some of them require some time-consuming assembly. One model I was looking at takes 30-45 minutes with a power drill (to screw parts together).
Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm typing this using The $22 DIY Standing Desk Made With IKEA Parts

I've been using it for two months, two days a week full day, evenings and occasionally on weekends.
I have mixed feelings - after the full day my back hurts from too much standing, but it works excellent for shorter period of times (let's say an hour - two at a time).
I'm deliberating next steps - either adjustable desk (expensive), which allows easy switching between sitting and standing or hacking my office chair to increase the height (I tried bar stools, but they lack back support and adjustable height).

Attached is the picture of my setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1120051.jpg (421.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

To all who like to stand while you write:

You're in fine company! Hawthorne wrote novels standing up; the desk is in his "writing tower" at his house in Concord, Mass. (Where he also built a safe for his manuscripts.)

Victor Hugo did the same; his descendants donated all his bedroom furniture to the Victor Hugo House, on Place de Vosges in Paris. His desk is tall too, but heavily ornate (and the writing surface pretty battered..........writing Les Mis must have been a rough job). I was there just two weeks ago. That desk had clearly seen a work-out!

I hope you have more fun, standing as you write, than those two did! (Or, at least, that you enjoy happier topics!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 033.jpg (540.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

I like to mix standing and sitting and have been thinking about rigging something for a treadmill but my treadmill is soooo loud, I think I might have to change that first.

I use a standing desk like this but I don't think I paid this much:

BALT Hi-Lo Workstation - 39-1/2 x31-1/2 x31-1/4 -39-1/4 - Computer Furniture - Office & Furniture | C&H Distributors

I like it but lately I stand at the kitchen counter as there is more light in the kitchen than the office. Perhaps you can rig a temporary setup to see if you like standing?

Also I have Human Touch® Perfect Chair® PC-300 | Relax The Back bought for ~ less than half that price on Craigslist (purchased for family member with severe spinal injury). I highly recommend trying one of these for anyone with lower back pain. I find it much more comfortable than any other chair or bed - it get's all the angles correct to take stress from lower back. However, I haven't set it up to use for working (keyboard, mouse) just reading e-books.