Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Yup, fired up the ol' BS generator the other day and spewed off my final self review. While the process leaves a void of knowing it is meaningless, it was a liberating feeling knowing -- never again!

Same old "stuff" every year:
1) email from HR proclaiming the wonderful time of year will be here soon
2) email from HR with attachments and ridiculously short deadline to complete
3) email from HR "oops, sent the wrong attachments; here are the correct ones"
4) email from HR publicly browbeating everyone who has not yet completed the process
5) email from HR "oh, we forgot to include instructions on how to fill out the forms"
6) repeat steps 3, 4, & 5 in no particular sense of order

... already appreciating a fast approaching ER
I almost spewed my coffee reading this You nailed it. I always noted that the HR department was gone when I was leaving (and empty when I arrived) HR is nothing but a massive time waster for those of us trying to actually make the company work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #22

Here is my appraisal:

Performance Appraisal for Mr. duechbag: A thorough analysis of his performance will surprise you and one can not say enough good things about him. He frequently thinks "outside the box". It's tough for management to keep up with him. Mr. duechbag makes decisions with minimal direction and he shows an interest in related tasks not assigned to him. It would be accurate to say that a reevaluation of his salary is long overdue and any division would be lucky to get him to work for them. He never appears stressed about his work.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #23

don't miss the appraisals one bit! I had a solid team - all were meeting expectations and yet I HAD to give at least one of them a 2 rating. That means they go on a performance improvement plan and do not get a raise that year. It was tough to do that....
HR always had requests that were a waste of time IMO. They brought team building and training about how you are perceived to new heights
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP's title could not have nailed this thread better. The two things of the annual cycle I hated were appraisals and budget prep and defense. I liked the one year my boss had ME write my own appraisal!

This morning called former coworker who now has my position; ugh. I really did like my job (really, I did) until last couple of years. The things that ran me off continue to get worse; either that or me contemplating them magnifies their horror. I really do believe that if assets, pension, and SS disappeared I'd just simply explode before I'd ever go back. I really believe that as we age our tolerance level for BS drops; either that or as you achieve FI tolerating BS just isn't...necessary.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I really believe that as we age our tolerance level for BS drops; either that or as you achieve FI tolerating BS just isn't...necessary.
That's the truth. Had to take a job beneath my skills after getting laid off by Mega-Corp in the 2008 blood letting. The boss was a martinet who wanted to instill fear, not respect. I sat while he yelled, insulted and degraded with as much detachment from emotion that I could. After 90 days he fired me. I asked if it was an age related thing.

Perhaps that is why they granted me Unemployment Compensation that I milked for 92 months (thank you Obama) and was the last job I had. Not sure if ER started at UC or after it ended.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
As I sit here at work and am getting closer to my ER (2015) I often think about all of you out there enjoying your lives. I am off to answer 15 emails before I get called into 2 meetings, so I can get out of here before 6PM.

Please enjoy your days to the fullest and give a little thought to those of us still fighting the fight. Looking forward to my future.
I ER 1/15. Earlier this year, I decided I needed a big shift in consciousness regarding w*rk. Realizing this year required so much transition work in preparation for ER, I realized I didn't have the luxury of devoting energy to the shenanigans at work. Since that time, I have become totally vacant at work, emotionally and psychologically. Of course I continue to add value, but my attention is just not there.

I am currently at 39x spending. At this point, I am more at risk of walking off the job than getting fired. For this reason alone, which is no small point (almost walked in and resigned a couple of mornings ago), I remain totally focused on not putting any energy into work, lest I quit before my target date. As to performance reviews, I have my last one coming up next week and no matter what is said, I'll smile and say whatever they want to hear. Six months to go. What, me worry?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I am currently at 39x spending. At this point, I am more at risk of walking off the job than getting fired.
Well, I'm not at 39x spending and worry all the time I'll walk off the job. So I get your point on this totally. If I didn't feel a tremendous amount of responsibility to many of my co-workers, I know I would just walk away. Money be damned.

Performance evaluations for my staff have become a joke. HR doesn't allow ratings of 4 or higher (on scale of 5) or 2 or under without jumping through ridiculous hoops/unnecessary paperwork. I'm not sure why they just don't say outright "everyone gets a 3". As a manager, I already know that compensation increases are not tied at all to performance reviews. At least not at my mega corp. In fact, salary increases are calculated several months ahead of performance eval time.

I can't wait to retire!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I counted the days but I started counting 5 years prior to my retirement!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I ER 1/15. Earlier this year, I decided I needed a big shift in consciousness regarding w*rk. Realizing this year required so much transition work in preparation for ER, I realized I didn't have the luxury of devoting energy to the shenanigans at work. Since that time, I have become totally vacant at work, emotionally and psychologically. Of course I continue to add value, but my attention is just not there.

I am currently at 39x spending. At this point, I am more at risk of walking off the job than getting fired. For this reason alone, which is no small point (almost walked in and resigned a couple of mornings ago), I remain totally focused on not putting any energy into work, lest I quit before my target date. As to performance reviews, I have my last one coming up next week and no matter what is said, I'll smile and say whatever they want to hear. Six months to go. What, me worry?
Sounds exactly like me.