Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Appreciate your ER
Old 06-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Shabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Redmond
Posts: 64
Appreciate your ER

As I sit here at work and am getting closer to my ER (2015) I often think about all of you out there enjoying your lives. I am off to answer 15 emails before I get called into 2 meetings, so I can get out of here before 6PM.

Please enjoy your days to the fullest and give a little thought to those of us still fighting the fight. Looking forward to my future.
__________________

__________________
Shabby
- Live below your means
- Stay out of debt
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
As I sit here at work and am getting closer to my ER (2015) I often think about all of you out there enjoying your lives. I am off to answer 15 emails before I get called into 2 meetings, so I can get out of here before 6PM.

Please enjoy your days to the fullest and give a little thought to those of us still fighting the fight. Looking forward to my future.
Your day will come, too. And when it does you will KNOW you've earned it.

Hang in there!
__________________

__________________
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cavalier
Posts: 2,317
+1
__________________
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,581
I hear you, I am also sitting at work and taking a break to log on here for a change of thought and attitude!
__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
martyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 963
You think you won't have emails and meetings when you ER?
__________________
Happy, Wild, and Free
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,518
A lot of megacorps do so called "performance reviews" in the summer. We're doing ours right now. What a load of BS.

Appreciate that you do not have to go through this song and dance now that you are ER'd!

Assuming I stick to my plan, I now have only 3 of these left.
__________________
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Upstate Ruralia
Posts: 283
What's a "meeting"?!?

Just kidding!!! WHen the day comes that YOU can ask that question and smile, you'll know you've made it!

Hang in there!
__________________
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post

Please enjoy your days to the fullest and give a little thought to those of us still fighting the fight. Looking forward to my future.
DS is a little older than you, but has the same ER date... Ends all of our phone conversations with "__ months__ days"....

Almost 25 years of it so far, and enjoyed every minute.

Definitely worth the sacrifices along the way.
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
A lot of megacorps do so called "performance reviews" in the summer. We're doing ours right now. What a load of BS.

Appreciate that you do not have to go through this song and dance now that you are ER'd!

Assuming I stick to my plan, I now have only 3 of these left.
Ours did them a few weeks after raises were set in stone. As a manager it sucked to attemt explaining a review had anything to do with performance and compensation. It didn't. So glad for those already RE'd, and the folks counting down time.
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
As I sit here at work and am getting closer to my ER (2015) I often think about all of you out there enjoying your lives. I am off to answer 15 emails before I get called into 2 meetings, so I can get out of here before 6PM.

Please enjoy your days to the fullest and give a little thought to those of us still fighting the fight. Looking forward to my future.
Believe me, I do. Now that I am retired, I love watching the traffic reports on the morning news, if/when I am up early enough to see them. I think of my former co-workers, highly qualified professional scientists who are battling the traffic at that very moment and who will get docked for 15 minutes if they are 3 minutes late for work.

To me, retirement is heaven. I have finally found my niche in life.

My suggestion is to use your dissatisfaction with the working world, to fuel your motivation to save even more than you think you can. At some point you will have enough to be able to retire. It sounds like for you, the sooner the better. As for deferred gratification, it is so much more fun to spend money now that I have the leisure time to enjoy whatever-it-is.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
Theseus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
A lot of megacorps do so called "performance reviews" in the summer. We're doing ours right now. What a load of BS.

Appreciate that you do not have to go through this song and dance now that you are ER'd!

Assuming I stick to my plan, I now have only 3 of these left.
Yup, fired up the ol' BS generator the other day and spewed off my final self review. While the process leaves a void of knowing it is meaningless, it was a liberating feeling knowing -- never again!

Same old "stuff" every year:
1) email from HR proclaiming the wonderful time of year will be here soon
2) email from HR with attachments and ridiculously short deadline to complete
3) email from HR "oops, sent the wrong attachments; here are the correct ones"
4) email from HR publicly browbeating everyone who has not yet completed the process
5) email from HR "oh, we forgot to include instructions on how to fill out the forms"
6) repeat steps 3, 4, & 5 in no particular sense of order

... already appreciating a fast approaching ER
__________________
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Meetings and emails. Church committee's, Volunteer org.'s stuff - neighborhood assn., etc.

Time to get back down with grumpy and unvolunteer.

heh heh heh - get out the playbook and re - earn my Curmudgeon Certificate. Things can drift over time in ER if you don't stay on your toes.

Still beats WORK!
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Yup, fired up the ol' BS generator the other day and spewed off my final self review. While the process leaves a void of knowing it is meaningless, it was a liberating feeling knowing -- never again!

Same old "stuff" every year:
1) email from HR proclaiming the wonderful time of year will be here soon
2) email from HR with attachments and ridiculously short deadline to complete
3) email from HR "oops, sent the wrong attachments; here are the correct ones"
4) email from HR publicly browbeating everyone who has not yet completed the process
5) email from HR "oh, we forgot to include instructions on how to fill out the forms"
6) repeat steps 3, 4, & 5 in no particular sense of order

... already appreciating a fast approaching ER
At my first megacorp job HR sent me an "anonymous" survey asking question about the company and how I liked working there. I was suspicious and didn't return it, and a few weeks later I got another memo asking why I had not returned my "anonymous" survey. So much for anonymity!
__________________
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
At my first megacorp job HR sent me an "anonymous" survey asking question about the company and how I liked working there. I was suspicious and didn't return it, and a few weeks later I got another memo asking why I had not returned my "anonymous" survey. So much for anonymity!
My Megacorp put up an anonymous Q&A site which really was anonymous and when someone put up a politically sensitive question which, from the content, obviously came from our site, I was asked by site management to find out which computer the message came from. I was honestly able to tell them it was not possible to tell because the software removed all identification from the messages including IP address, MAC address etc. (note that MAC address has nothing to do with Macintoshes, but is a network card identifier).

A few years later, prior to a Global IT series of meetings the CIO had an anonymous site put up with instructions inviting those of us attending to put up questions and suggestions on the Global IT organization, saying that he would address them in the upcoming meetings. At the 'conference' the CIO came by one evening after dinner with a printout of the questions and asked me which of the questions were mine and when I said "none" he asked why. I told him that all suggestions and criticisms from me were made to my Director, not some anonymous forum. Next day he took the podium to answer the questions and he named each author and in most cases humiliated them in public. I knew him to be a real sh!t, but this was as low as you could get in my estimation.

ETA

Yes, I really appreciate my ER
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My Megacorp put up an anonymous Q&A site which really was anonymous and when someone put up a politically sensitive question which, from the content, obviously came from our site, I was asked by site management to find out which computer the message came from. I was honestly able to tell them it was not possible to tell because the software removed all identification from the messages including IP address, MAC address etc. (note that MAC address has nothing to do with Macintoshes, but is a network card identifier).

A few years later, prior to a Global IT series of meetings the CIO had an anonymous site put up with instructions inviting those of us attending to put up questions and suggestions on the Global IT organization, saying that he would address them in the upcoming meetings. At the 'conference' the CIO came by one evening after dinner with a printout of the questions and asked me which of the questions were mine and when I said "none" he asked why. I told him that all suggestions and criticisms from me were made to my Director, not some anonymous forum. Next day he took the podium to answer the questions and he named each author and in most cases humiliated them in public. I knew him to be a real sh!t, but this was as low as you could get in my estimation.

ETA

Yes, I really appreciate my ER
Wow, that is exceptionally low.

At another company I worked at we had confidential interviews with a management consulting company that had been brought in to try to improve the department low morale issues. I was pretty candid about some serious issues, especially with my boss. I was young and believed the confidential part. Of course you probably can tell where this is going - the consulting company read my responses word for word in a department townhall meeting of about 100 people with me, my boss, his boss, etc. all present. For emphasis, they even made slides out of some of my most critical comments.
__________________
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,569
We had anonymous surveys that actully were. I will never forget the one in '85 the COO was addressing the entire IT staff in any organization that's business was IT. The first couple questions were pretty standard. Then someone had submitted a 'when did you stop beating your wife' type question. Poor benefits, extreme hours, lower than industry pay...... The COO totally lost it, granted the question should have been worded different, but the COOs a big boy. Started yelling at the entire staff 'there's the door, don't let it hit your a$$ on the way out', proceeded to walk away from the podium.

Not too much later, things started changing for the better. So I guess management did realize there was an issue.
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
As I sit here at work and am getting closer to my ER (2015) I often think about all of you out there enjoying your lives. I am off to answer 15 emails before I get called into 2 meetings, so I can get out of here before 6PM.

Ah, the good old days. 360 degree reviews in which managers solicited input from each of us about everyone we may or may not have come in contact with over the previous 12 months, with emphasis on skill at interactively developing high-quality collaboration and idea-sharing, timeliness, ability to seamlessly matrix team building bandwidth, communications, core competencies, teamwork, empowerment, and similar HR buzzword bloviation, while seamlessly evolving superior best practices.

Tools I found useful:
Corporate B.S. Generator
Performance Appraisal Generator

Performance Appraisal on Dilbert.com
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Ah, the good old days. 360 degree reviews in which managers solicited input from each of us about everyone we may or may not have come in contact with over the previous 12 months, with emphasis on skill at interactively developing high-quality collaboration and idea-sharing, timeliness, ability to seamlessly matrix team building bandwidth, communications, core competencies, teamwork, empowerment, and similar HR buzzword bloviation, while seamlessly evolving superior best practices.

Tools I found useful:
Corporate B.S. Generator
Performance Appraisal Generator

Performance Appraisal on Dilbert.com

LOL with the Performance Appraisal Generator!
thanks for posting!
__________________
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
Bryan Barnfellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder View Post

LOL with the Performance Appraisal Generator!
thanks for posting!
Thought I would have some fun with the Performance Appraisal Generator, which asks for a last name as input:

Performance Appraisal for Mr. Hitler:
His full capabilities have only been recently discovered. Mr. Hitler has name recognition throughout the divisions. I find that his work sets Mr. Hitler apart from his peers. He appears ever productive and has been seen dropping in at off hours. He never appears stressed about his work. His worth to the company can only be imagined and he is not afraid to ask questions that check the assumptions of others. Of course, no one has caught Mr. Hitler sleeping on the job. He makes decisions with minimal direction.

* In Strict Confidence *
__________________
FIREd, April 1, 2015. My Retirement Benefits Package includes: 6 months vacation, twice a year.
Bryan Barnfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
Moscyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 728
I hated performance appraisals esp those called 360. At the end of each cycle, you have to be ready to identify prospective reviewers for the next process. Some may have gone through the process for > 20 times. A waste of time, energy and money. After ER, I report to no one and no one reports to me.
__________________

__________________
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refinancing Mortgage - Appreciate Advice inquisitive FIRE and Money 47 01-27-2013 09:24 AM
Appreciate Some Florida Guidance JPatrick Travel Information 19 02-28-2012 04:51 PM
Giving notice soon - would appreciate feedback before I pull the plug...(long) skyline Young Dreamers 21 01-26-2010 10:07 PM
For Laurence and others who appreciate security humor cube_rat Young Dreamers 2 04-03-2007 03:05 PM
Is your union hiring your financial advisor with your dues? Nords Young Dreamers 3 05-03-2006 09:37 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.