Join Early Retirement Today

Are Retirement Needs Overstated?
Old 06-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are Retirement Needs Overstated?

"The model used by many financial planners for retirement planning doesn’t accurately reflect how retirees spend during their early and middle retirement years, which means advisors might be overestimating how much their clients will need to save for retirement."

Many of us know that the 12x salary for the nest egg or 80% of final salary for the first year of spending are WAGs that fail to consider many relevant factors. Nice to see M* discussing it.

Are retirement needs overstated? | BenefitsPro
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I certainly hope so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some expenses that were paid out of my final salary that I don't pay now:

Saving for retirement (a big item!)
Pay Roll Tax
Commute Expense
Extra Car
Lunches five days a week
Extra dry cleaning
Fewer dinners out because DW and I neither felt like cooking

I don't really know if it all totals 20% but my guess is it is quite a bit more!

On the added side, we travel a little bit more, but not a great deal. That's about it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I think retirement needs are frequently overstated, particularly if based on 80% of final salary.

To begin with, many people don't spend 80% of their salary to begin with. When I was working, my take-home pay (after SS, income tax withholdings, health and dental insurance contributions) was slightly less than 80% of my gross. After 401k and HSA savings I was doing my take-home pay was only a little over 50% of my gross pay, so even if we spend every penny of my take home pay (had no after-tax savings) it would have been much less than the 80% commonly used by FPs. In my case 80% would have resulted in a 60% overstatement of what was needed to retire (80%/50%).

Also, as the linked article points out, real spending commonly declines as retirees age as their level of activity declines and could be factored in but commonly is not.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Our retirement living expenses are a fraction of our former gross earned incomes and that is with still supporting kids in college.

They've decreased due to:
Lower income taxes (at least until taxes on RMDs kick in)
No more need to save for retirement
No more job and commute costs
For most of our retirement the kids should be off the payroll
Mortgage interest decreasing over time
More time for DIY, price shopping, time to drive on some vacations instead of always having to fly due to time constraints, bargain hunting, cooking at home, optimizing expenses
Not paying as much into Social Security
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Personal opinion: It is % of final working year SPENDING, not salary, that matters.
At 10 years before retirement, we started to "downsize" spending toward eventual pension income. Each year, it provided more funds for investment, and training to live within means.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #7

I agree with the others.

Since I contributed 26% of my gross to 401k, I was already well below 80%. Factor in SS/Medicare taxes and it's even lower. That said - health insurance went up.

My rough swag retirement budget was based on gross income minus retirement savings, minus SS and Medicare taxes, then adding back in health insurance. (I have a much more detailed budget based on historical spending from quicken data - but it works out remarkably similar.) Almost a year in, we're spending less than the rough swag number. The unknown for me is taxes... I had some 1 time tax things last year. 2015 taxes will tell me if I over or underestimated things.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niuatoputapu View Post

Many of us know that the 12x salary for the nest egg or 80% of final salary for the first year of spending are WAGs that fail to consider many relevant factors.
All the more reason to start by identifying your actual spending -- now and expected. You need enough to cover that spending, not some multiple or ratio of some other number.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #9

Agree 100% that 80% is just a WAG for most folks. IMHO too rough to be useful. Differences in expenses are very individual. Like HUGE difference between late 50's ER with solid employer-supplied retiree HI vs poor ER souls needing to buy unsubsidized Exchange Plan with those huge premiums & deductibles. Particularly in high cost regions, it is not unusual to see those folks' actual total spending to go UP after retirement.
Others whose spending can go way up in ER are those ex-w#rkoholics who now have the time to take the $$$$ trips they dreamed of.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm within 2 years of being retired, and have closely monitored my spending over the past 6 years.

% of gross paycheck
401K savings: 27%
non-retirement savings: 24%
SS, Medicare, Fed and State taxes: 21%

Live on: 28%

Out of that 28%, I have a car payment, real estate taxes, etc.

When I retire, I figure my spending will increase about 20% for additional weeks of vacations, etc. I'm budgeting for 15% above that number, for unknown expenses.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
I'm within 2 years of being retired, and have closely monitored my spending over the past 6 years.

% of gross paycheck
401K savings: 27%
non-retirement savings: 24%
SS, Medicare, Fed and State taxes: 21%

Live on: 28%

Out of that 28%, I have a car payment, real estate taxes, etc.

When I retire, I figure my spending will increase about 20% for additional weeks of vacations, etc. I'm budgeting for 15% above that number, for unknown expenses.
Keep in mind that federal and state taxes don't go away. They may change a lot - but still need to be accounted for in your overall budget.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We've found ourselves spending more in retirement than when working. I no longer have the company car and expense account for one.

But we're at the point in our lives where so many of our assets need replacing--like boats, cars, etc. And we're also having to do substantial repairs to our real estate, now that I have the time to work on them.

And with so much time on our hands, we find ourselves traveling extensively on big vacations. But the rest of the year, we stick close to home--seldom going over 2 hrs. away.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Keep in mind that federal and state taxes don't go away. They may change a lot - but still need to be accounted for in your overall budget.
True but until you reach SS/RMD age, you have fairly good control on optimizing taxes. Might even be worth doing some Roth conversions.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
True but until you reach SS/RMD age, you have fairly good control on optimizing taxes. Might even be worth doing some Roth conversions.
This. And if you have taxable, tax-deferred, and Roth accounts, you can strategize further to reduce taxes post-retirement. Pre- and post-retirement taxes are two different ball games.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #15

Our spending during 2014, if I subtract out the extra FIT paid for Roth conversion, was about 35% of my last salary... and my last salary was 13 years ago
Old 06-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
All the more reason to start by identifying your actual spending -- now and expected. You need enough to cover that spending, not some multiple or ratio of some other number.
Yes, totally agree. You should build up your retirement spending requirements from first principles based on a good historic understanding of where you have (and would like to ) spend in retirement. Using a percentage of pre retirement income is a lazy shortcut. Also needs are quite different than wants and a good retirement spending plan should consider both.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
Personal opinion: It is % of final working year SPENDING, not salary, that matters.
This is so true.

The last few years before I stopped working the amount of money pouring into savings kept going up. When the mortgage was paid off, that same amount went into savings. The 401(k) was maxed out. The ESPP was maxed out. These, along with some taxes like FICA, just stop when you stop working.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #18

I used to argue this point with a coworker, he just could not wrap his head around the fact that you stop saving money for retirement once you retire. He's a smart guy, but he's still working.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I used to argue this point with a coworker, he just could not wrap his head around the fact that you stop saving money for retirement once you retire. He's a smart guy, but he's still working.
That's what we call a quotable quote!
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #20

with health insurance costs added in we project a 40% spend to final salary rate
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote