Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Are RV's like Boats ?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have 2 slideouts. I don't think we could survive without them. But we are also able to avoid most of the downsides of slideouts.

1. The CCC on our motorhome is so high, that even with 2 slideouts we are still well under max weight.
2. Our slideouts are not that deep. This means that even with them in, we are able to access all of the motorhome and most of the storage areas. We've spent many a night with our slides in for (various reasons), and it's not inconvenient, although it sure is nice to have them out!
3. Both our slideouts are on one (the driver's) side. This means that we can fit in narrower sites. We've stayed in many a state park site where having slides on both sides would have meant we didn't fit.

It does increase the complexity of the motorhome - no question.

It's hard to find a late model class A motorhome that does NOT have slides.

I suspect when we get ready to sell our motorhome, having only 2 slides might be a disadvantage. But we're sure glad we only have 2 and that they are both on the same side!

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR

Some don't like the added mechanical issues--stuck slides, extra maintenance, dirt and water getting into the coach, wear and tear on the floor or carpet, junk collecting on the top of the slide and getting inside, lost pets behind the slide, etc.
A mechanic friend of mine told me about a trip he took to a national park. One driver there couldn't leave because his slide was stuck in the out position. Another driver couldn't leave because he tried to drive away with the slide out and struck a tree.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have owned both an RV and a boat for years,

Boats are more expensive. I say this for comparable levels of quality.

RV's sit for long periods and tend to have lots of minor issues but boats have much more expensive issues overall.

Imagine paying $14,000 - $20,000 for the equivalent of a Honda Civic motor. Boat owners do it every day.

I love my boat but it will be the first thing to go when I retire, I will drop back to a small skiff with an electric motor only. When I need to fish big water I will go out with pros. They are lucky to make a $50 - 100 per person a day over the cost of maintaining their boat and tackle.

That is a much cheaper option and I can afford to go as much as I need if I am not paying to keep up my own large craft.

Our mid-level RV's have been much cheaper to care for, they rarely break and when they do it is not that expensive. Altough this does not mean they are cheap, it would be more cost effecient to drive a economy car and stay in a hotel, but we love the outdoor/RV lifestyle too much to give it up.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #24

We bought a 91 Seaswirl (cuddy) with a 150HP Johnson (just under 20' boat, so we trailered it). We used it every weekend from May - September in the Puget Sound and a couple of weeks during the summer at Lake Chelan. It was a great "tweener boat". Good for waterskiing and very good in the unpredicatable waters of the sound. DH was religous about flushing the motor and cleaning the boat after being out on the sound all day (made some nice overnight trips to the San Juan Islands too). Anyway, DD went off to college, so we sold the boat - for about $4k less than we bought it nine years earlier (BIL bought it) I think DH had a couple of tune-ups and one repair on the steering. Otherwise it was just the cost of gas. We have great memories of our outings - DD keeps telling us how much she misses the boat - BIL is still using the boat 5 yrs later.
I agree with earlier posts - if you take care of a boat then maintenance/repairs shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys are really funny, thinking RVs and boats are expensive. Ha!

I'm a partner in an airplane. Now you're talking real money.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattj1
Boats are more expensive. I say this for comparable levels of quality.
Add the word "marine" onto any product and the price immediately doubles.
TJ
Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
A 23' SeaRay
Sounds like a single engine trailerable day boat with a Mercruiser outdrive, versus a small express cruiser with full cabin. Huge upkeep difference between that and a 40 ft twin screw cruiser. Did you have to replace the motor-outdrive unit? Do you pay for marina space? Salt water use? That should be a very managable size boat cost wise.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy

We know, we know! And you can't even comfortably spend the night in the thing!

Audrey
Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
Sounds like a single engine trailerable day boat with a Mercruiser outdrive, versus a small express cruiser with full cabin. Huge upkeep difference between that and a 40 ft twin screw cruiser. Did you have to replace the motor-outdrive unit? Do you pay for marina space? Salt water use? That should be a very managable size boat cost wise.
That's what you would think but I think we bought a lemon .It's been in the shop more than it's been in the water .I live on salt water so that doesn't help.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I had an 18' Searay bowrider w/ 3.0l Mercruiser sterndrive. Relatively low-cost, though not entirely low maintenance. Fresh water lakes, though. Slightly underpowered for serious skiing/boarding. Of course, drinking beer while anchored in a cove was the primary use...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy

I used to fly Skyhawks for fun: it was about $47 per hour wet to rent it, but the real cost is in the $80 hamburgers at the local airports .

Gave it up when work and weather conspired to ground me for 3 months or more (was in Wisconsin at the time). Too dangerous to dabble in.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I used to fly Skyhawks for fun: it was about $47 per hour wet to rent it,
That's cheap, isn't it? When was it? 1960s?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I think rentals of Skyhawks are up to around $100/hr nowadays. Plus many FBO's charge a fuel surcharge of up to $10/hr.

My most recent calculations with a 3 person partnership and flying 60 hr/year is about $65/hr average. So that costs me around $4k/year. This is for an older Piper Cherokee 140.

A coworker owns a horse. Now (believe it or not) that makes my flying look almost reasonable.

But the rewards: I've flown from here in Southern California to the east coast, I've been up to Seattle and Idaho. I've flown over the Grand Canyon, the Rockies, the Sierras, Lake Tahoe, and Monument Valley. I've flown into the biggest airshow in the world (Oshkosh, WI). I've watched distant lightning storms in the predawn darkness and then watched the sun glisten over puffy cumulus clouds.

I've seen much of this wonderful country and met many great people.

It's been worth it to me!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:48 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

http://www.trip.net/~snichols/phoeni...nix%20T-30.JPG

About $5000 per season,(six month's) with storage haul out and slip fees. Plus any replacement and repair parts you do. 2006 new forward hatch glass $150.00 new full winter cover $4000 the old one lasted about 5 years the new one should last about ten years. New 96% storm jib $1300 the repairs are additional to the normal marina expense. You must be able to do a lot of the upkeep work yourself in order to keep the cost in line. Northeast NY Lake Champlain (should I buy an RV instead??).
Old 05-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans
Add the word "marine" onto any product and the price immediately doubles.
Yes, but the expectations are very different. The products need to stand up to salt water exposure.

One of the funniest product applications in the boat yard was when a do-it yourself-er applied exterior house paint to the hull of his boat because marine paint was too expensive. The boat yard refused to rent the guy a slip in the marina. He went next door. Wasn't long before it was a salvage operation.