Are RV's like Boats ?

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
I have a boat and the extra costs involved with it really add up .It always seems to need some maintenance .It's been like a hole I've thrown money into .So I was wondering are RV's like this ??Also do Rv's hold their value ?

You really need to look at how you are using your boat. Do you haul it out in the winter? Are you paying attention to routine maintenance?

My son and daughter-in-law have a boat yard on the west coast. They shake their head when a customer who hasn't had their bottom painted in years is stunned to find deep blisters. A routine bottom job will identify potential issues and fix them before they accumulate to major peal projects. Also, regular bottom maintenance work is in and out of the yard while a neglected boat can mean you miss the season.

RVs depreciate like boats, yes. From friends who have had both, and several who divide their year between their boats and an RV, it's my impression that the boat requires more upkeep and extra expenses than the RV. Maybe it's just the corrosive effects of salt water, etc.

We live fulltime in our RV, which affects upkeep. Obviously, if it was stored part of the year, costs might be different.

We generally budget a regular amount every year, in the neighborhood of a thousand or two, for maintenance and upkeep on our RV. We've had it nine years and some years, most of that budget has gone unused, but we do a lot of the basic maintenance ourselves.

We've been lucky. We have a quality motorhome and have had no troubles with it. In the nine years we've owned it, it broke down once, and the trouble turned out to be a sheared bolt in the engine. No other troubles or expenses for repairs, really. All expenses have been things like regular oil changes, fluid replacement, brake checks, etc.

Since we are fulltimers, we tend to look at these maintenance and upkeep issues as compared to home ownership, and in that sense, the RV comes out looking really, really good.

If one were looking at RV expense in addition to a home and all its' attendant costs, then I would suspect an RV would be much like a boat, something that it feels to you is always soaking up money.

LooseChickens

Brat said:
You really need to look at how you are using your boat. Do you haul it out in the winter? Are you paying attention to routine maintenance?

My son and daughter-in-law have a boat yard on the west coast. They shake their head when a customer who hasn't had their bottom painted in years is stunned to find deep blisters. A routine bottom job will identify potential issues and fix them before they accumulate to major peal projects. Also, regular bottom maintenance work is in and out of the yard while a neglected boat can mean you miss the season.

I agree. The trick is to know how much one can and should do, and when it has to be turned over to a pro. As with everyting, a small amount of periodic maintenance will save huge maintenance costs later. We're now spending around $3000 per year for two boats, a 14 and a 25 footer, including in water slip for the 25. A thread on smart boat maintenance and costs might be a good idea.

Moemg said:
I have a boat and the extra costs involved with it really add up .It always seems to need some maintenance .It's been like a hole I've thrown money into .So I was wondering are RV's like this ??Also do Rv's hold their value ?
RVs don't float, don't usually require a $200 parking slip, and generally the
insurance is cheaper. Boats tend to hold their value better and last longer.
You'll find lots of boats from 80s and 70s, I don't think there are many RVs
that old that you'd want, anyway.
TJ

RVs are basically houses on wheels. They have all the maintenance problems of houses, plus those of motor vehicles. I believe them to be more complicated than most boats (more systems with things to go wrong - at least in my RV). You can learn to do most of the maintenance yourself, with a good manual.

They depreciate like cars, if not faster.

teejayevans said:
RVs don't float, don't usually require a $200 parking slip, and generally the
insurance is cheaper. Boats tend to hold their value better and last longer.
You'll find lots of boats from 80s and 70s, I don't think there are many RVs
that old that you'd want, anyway.
TJ

Hey now, careful there, we have a 1978 Airstream motorhome and sold the 1973 Morgan sailboat last year, after it took us on the trip that started our ER dreams. Some of us like the older, already depreciated escape pods!

But, I'll definitely say that the RV is cheaper to keep than the boat and requires much less ongoing expense, like the slip rental. And when the wind kicks up a mini-hurricane, you get to stay at home instead of rushing down to the dock or mooring to see how that 3-strand is holding up! :)

Sarah

I also tend to think of RVs as being way more complicated with boats with a lot more things requiring attention and maintenance.

But when I remember our old sailboat, simple as it was (very few moving parts) and a tiny outboard, and I think about how much trouble it was to keep it clean and in good sailing condition, I realize that we are getting a lot more out our RV than we ever did out of our boat for the "hassle factor" involved in ownership.

Of course we live in our RV fulltime, so the "value" we get out of it compared to the hassle with the few times a month sails we did on the sailboat is astronomical.

Owning an RV has definitely been more complicated than owning a house, in spite of the lack of routine yard maintenance. At least when a house part goes out - like the water heater or air conditioner - you just call someone to come fix it and they can usually do so within a very short time period. With an RV you have to find someone who can service it - they may be hundreds of miles away -and you have to schedule an appointment, just HOPING that you won't have to wait a week or two before they can fit you in, drive there, and then once they diagnose the problem, you STILL might have to wait 10 days for a part to arrive. With the house it seemed like we only had to deal with about one major repair a year (and, of course, a lot of house cleaning and yard maintenance). With the RV, it seems like we have to deal with routine annual service issues to require at least 3 different appointments, PLUS it so far we've had to deal with 4+ major repairs a year. From what I have read, our experience is not atypical. I do have reason to believe that the number of major repairs per year we experience might go down now that we have addressed so many things in our RV, but there are so many complex systems on board that I'm not holding my breath...

So the hassle factor of maintaining an RV is a lot higher than a house.

just some musings..... It's a lovely lifestyle and well worth it, but I don't think I was every prepared for how complicated an RV can be to own.....

Audrey

Moemg,

If you don't mind my asking what sort of boat do you have?

audreyh1 said:
I also tend to think of RVs as being way more complicated with boats with a lot more things requiring attention and maintenance.

So the hassle factor of maintaining an RV is a lot higher than a house.

just some musings..... It's a lovely lifestyle and well worth it, but I don't think I was every prepared for how complicated an RV can be to own.....

Audrey

Agreed.

I would agree that an RV is very complicated and prone to repair. I have never owned a full scale sea-going boat so I can't compare but many of the items in a motorhome are also in a larger boat.

A motorhome is a travel trailer fabricated on a truck chassis. As a result you have all the problems with a protable house and all the problems with a truck chassis all rolled into one.

In our MH the biggest problems we have had to date are with the chassis. The "house" portion has had some minor issues but these were all with the "third party" appliances and other electronics in it rather than the house itself. In fact the MH is back at the factory now getting some cab leaks and other stuff repaired.

SteveR said:
In our MH the biggest problems we have had to date are with the chassis. The "house" portion has had some minor issues but these were all with the "third party" appliances and other electronics in it rather than the house itself. In fact the MH is back at the factory now getting some cab leaks and other stuff repaired.

Wonder if this is reason to consider a 5th Wheel, despite its own unique set of issues? At least that way the truck is separate, tried-and-true, independently repairable, slower depreciating entity.

We're in our little Class B Sprinter (no problems so far) but may upgrade some time and are not sure which direction to take.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Wonder if this is reason to consider a 5th Wheel, despite its own unique set of issues? At least that way the truck is separate, tried-and-true, independently repairable, slower depreciating entity.

We're in our little Class B Sprinter (no problems so far) but may upgrade some time and are not sure which direction to take.

You still have to deal with a larger tow vehicle and all the problems associated with it. You also lose some freedom with a 5th wheel since it is a trailer and you don't have direct access to it while in motion. However, you usually get more living space in a 5th wheel than in the same length motorhome because it is all truly living space and not part of the "truck". I have noticed that a lot of folks seem to like the 5th wheel as I seem to see more of them than motorhomes on the road around here.

We looked at them but for many reasons went with the MH. I did not want to have to buy a truck that I would not use except to pull the 5th wheel; no place to put and no real need for a truck. Also, I can either pull my car or leave it at home depending on where we go and what we want to do. Can't do that with a 5th wheel. Etc. etc. the discussion rages on....

Rich_in_Tampa said:

Doc, here's a discussion of 5th wheels vs. motor homes on the Esccapees forum.

http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/139601461/m/6501078541/p/1

There are pluses and minuses either way you go, but I'm leaning towards a 31'-34' gasser MH. I'd prefer to pull a toad than pull a 5th wheel and have to use a mini-monster truck as my runabout vehicle. Either way you're towing something wherever you go and neither option can be confused with a LBYM strategy...unless you fulltime. No way do either DW or I want to consider that route.

Ultimately, I believe the decision between a motorhome versus a fifth wheel comes down to how often you plan to move it. Fifth wheels are good for infrequent moves - a pain to set up (compared to a motorhome), but once you are set up you get a lot more living space for the size and weight of the vehicle.

That's why fifth wheels are overwhelmingly preferred by snowbirds who usually have only one winter destination.

I notice that fulltimers who move around a lot (like us) tend to own motorhomes.

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Ultimately, I believe the decision between a motorhome versus a fifth wheel comes down to how often you plan to move it...I notice that fulltimers who move around a lot (like us) tend to own motorhomes.

Yes, I noticed that. Makes sense. BTW, any idea why an avid minority of Class A owners make a point of avoiding slide-outs? Is it just the expense and weight, or something else?

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Yes, I noticed that. Makes sense. BTW, any idea why an avid minority of Class A owners make a point of avoiding slide-outs? Is it just the expense and weight, or something else?

Well I am in a group of avid Class C owners who also avoid sideouts. The reasons include:

Safety-a big hole in the side of the coach makes for some tough engineering to keep it safe in case of a rollover. My coach as 3 steel roll bars and no slideouts.

Cost-each one costs money for the slideout section--motors, tracks, frame, etc.

Weight-each slideout adds 600+# to the coach weight. Most Class C and small class As are near the upper CCC anyway. Add a couple of slides and your CCC is very small.

Etc.--some folks like to be able to fully use all the coach when underway or parked but not camped. Slideouts in some coachs require the slide be out to access parts of the coach. Others are very very narrow in spots with the slide in. It all depends on how they are made.
Some don't like the added mechanical issues--stuck slides, extra maintenance, dirt and water getting into the coach, wear and tear on the floor or carpet, junk collecting on the top of the slide and getting inside, lost pets behind the slide, etc.

Born Free touts that no one has been killed or seriously injured in one of their coachs in an accident ever. The attribute this to engineering and build quality which are both designed to prevent the coach from coming apart in a roll over or other accident.

You give up some living space but you have to determine what is really most important to you.

We have 2 slideouts. I don't think we could survive without them. But we are also able to avoid most of the downsides of slideouts.

1. The CCC on our motorhome is so high, that even with 2 slideouts we are still well under max weight.
2. Our slideouts are not that deep. This means that even with them in, we are able to access all of the motorhome and most of the storage areas. We've spent many a night with our slides in for (various reasons), and it's not inconvenient, although it sure is nice to have them out!
3. Both our slideouts are on one (the driver's) side. This means that we can fit in narrower sites. We've stayed in many a state park site where having slides on both sides would have meant we didn't fit.

It does increase the complexity of the motorhome - no question.

It's hard to find a late model class A motorhome that does NOT have slides.

I suspect when we get ready to sell our motorhome, having only 2 slides might be a disadvantage. But we're sure glad we only have 2 and that they are both on the same side!

Audrey

SteveR said:
Some don't like the added mechanical issues--stuck slides, extra maintenance, dirt and water getting into the coach, wear and tear on the floor or carpet, junk collecting on the top of the slide and getting inside, lost pets behind the slide, etc.

A mechanic friend of mine told me about a trip he took to a national park. One driver there couldn't leave because his slide was stuck in the out position. Another driver couldn't leave because he tried to drive away with the slide out and struck a tree.

I have owned both an RV and a boat for years,

Boats are more expensive. I say this for comparable levels of quality.

RV's sit for long periods and tend to have lots of minor issues but boats have much more expensive issues overall.

Imagine paying $14,000 - $20,000 for the equivalent of a Honda Civic motor. Boat owners do it every day.

I love my boat but it will be the first thing to go when I retire, I will drop back to a small skiff with an electric motor only. When I need to fish big water I will go out with pros. They are lucky to make a $50 - 100 per person a day over the cost of maintaining their boat and tackle.

That is a much cheaper option and I can afford to go as much as I need if I am not paying to keep up my own large craft.

Our mid-level RV's have been much cheaper to care for, they rarely break and when they do it is not that expensive. Altough this does not mean they are cheap, it would be more cost effecient to drive a economy car and stay in a hotel, but we love the outdoor/RV lifestyle too much to give it up.

We bought a 91 Seaswirl (cuddy) with a 150HP Johnson (just under 20' boat, so we trailered it). We used it every weekend from May - September in the Puget Sound and a couple of weeks during the summer at Lake Chelan. It was a great "tweener boat". Good for waterskiing and very good in the unpredicatable waters of the sound. DH was religous about flushing the motor and cleaning the boat after being out on the sound all day (made some nice overnight trips to the San Juan Islands too). Anyway, DD went off to college, so we sold the boat - for about $4k less than we bought it nine years earlier (BIL bought it) I think DH had a couple of tune-ups and one repair on the steering. Otherwise it was just the cost of gas. We have great memories of our outings - DD keeps telling us how much she misses the boat - BIL is still using the boat 5 yrs later.
I agree with earlier posts - if you take care of a boat then maintenance/repairs shouldn't be an issue.

You guys are really funny, thinking RVs and boats are expensive. Ha! :D

I'm a partner in an airplane. Now you're talking real money. :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom