Join Early Retirement Today

Are you cheap?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you cheap?

I have a friend who, I have to say, is cheap. Otherwise he is a good guy. But I don't like people who are cheap.

I remember taking the whole department to lunch one time. This was on the company. Lunch, drinks, wine, desert, anything you wanted to order.

We all wanted to ride together and he had the biggest car. He drove us but was burned because he had to pay $3.00 to park. He got a free $35.00 lunch but he had to pay $3.00.

The guy carries a coin purse.

Frugal I respect but I can't stand burning a whole table full of people for two dollars.

Yet, it happens more and more as people get older and more fearful. I just hope it doesn't happen to me.

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Are you cheap?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not cheap at all, that's why I'm still working at 57.* I spent much more money than I should have and paying for it now.

I don't think it's cheap but for the last 10 years I saved a lot of money.* That's when I woke up and started saving.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont
We all wanted to ride together and he had the biggest car. He drove us but was burned because he had to pay $3.00 to park. He got a free $35.00 lunch but he had to pay $3.00.
It depends. If a "free $35.00 lunch" was worth as much (to him) as a regular $1.00 brown bag lunch, then he was effectively $2.00 in the red

Quote:
Frugal I respect but I can't stand burning a whole table full of people for two dollars.
Well, if you have committed yourself to a social event, then you should expect to pay at socially acceptable rates. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of the said social event.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

"as a regular $1.00 brown bag lunch, then he was effectively $2.00 in the red"

Just a minute, there is no such thing as a $1.00 lunch. Brown bag or not.

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am not sure what this may be in reference to* I was referring to something like that $0.99 frozen lunch "thingie" (to use a technical term) at Target or a home made sandwich with a few slices of subprime smoked meat ($2.99/lb). Why would either option fail to qualify as lunch?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope... not cheap.. but definately FRUGAL....

As an example.. I got some fantastic speakers that cost $5,000... paid $2,000 for them... not cheap at all.. but I would never come close to paying full boat for them.. and since I like my stereo it was a luxury that I was willing to pay..

BUT, I refuse to pay the $60, $80 or even $100 a month for CABLE!!! This seems like such a waste to me... and it is not like I would even notice the money going out the door.. it just does not have the 'value' at that price..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess Im not cheap. Everyone places their own value on things. I prefer to spend the least I can on vehicles while others need to spend as much as they can. To each his own. Value is the key here or in other words get the most bang for your buck.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:01 AM   #8

I think the only difference between frugal and cheap is this. If the decision not to spend aligns with your own personal values -- it's frugal. If the decision does not align with your own personal values -- it's cheap.

I'm frugal. My DW is cheap.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
I think the only difference between frugal and cheap is this. If the decision not to spend aligns with your own personal values -- it's frugal. If the decision does not align with your own personal values -- it's cheap.

I'm frugal. My DW is cheap.
Well said.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

boont
If he used a gallon of gas in his big car that could have been another $3, his free lunch was starting to be less than totally free.

He may be frugal and not like to spend more than $3 for lunch.
burch64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:10 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Knighthood comes when they annoint you with the 'B' word after cheap.

I miss the part where she says: arise SIR cheap bastard! Actually she never used exactly those words - but close enough - me being charitable, left handed and all.

Frugal is good - *just didn't *get to hear it much.

heh heh heh - good definitions sgeeeee
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch64
If he used a gallon of gas in his big car that could have been another $3, his free lunch was starting to be less than totally free.

He may be frugal and not like to spend more than $3 for lunch.
Well, I will have to respond to this....

It is just to cost of being an employee... you spend money on clothes and other things so you can work.. some of what you should pay is for 'group activities'.. I am sure that other employees have done similar things for him, but I be he never offered to pay 'his share'..

If he does not want to participate in these group activities, then he should tell them and be done with it... not whine he had to shell out maybe $10 for his fellow employees to have a great time..

Again, he had a choice.. he chose to go with them... so shut up about cost..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:12 AM   #13

Your friend is cheap! - There is a difference between being cheap and Saving for retirement.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
"as a regular $1.00 brown bag lunch, then he was effectively $2.00 in the red"

boont
NYC Chinatown, your choice, 5 nice size steamed/fried pork dumplings or 4 steamed pork buns or a pint of delicious hot and sour soup, $1 each. Had a combo of the above at the inflation price of $3.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Your friend is cheap! - There is a difference between being cheap and Saving for retirement.
Yup-- and retirement will be real cheap without friends...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The problem is when you effectively have others subsidize you, and are always calculating to make sure you only paid for 49%. I had a friend who insisted we all (DW, a couple other friends and I) go to his favorite italian place. No problem. It's pay at the counter and then the food is brought to you. He insisted we all order and pay separately. No problem. The rest of the group gets a pizza and a pitcher of beer, he gets a hot sub and a bottle of beer. We sit down and get our food, he eats some of our pizza, drinks some of our beer, all the while clutching his sandwich and heineken! Convienently, he also doesn't believe in tipping. :P I told him off for that one.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I spend no more than two dollars on lunch for work. His "free lunch" cost $6 or more with parking and gas. He didn't have to agree to drive. He paid $6 or more and everyone else paid nothing... that's cheap.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
It is just to cost of being an employee... you spend money on clothes and other things so you can work.. some of what you should pay is for 'group activities'..
Oh yes, pretending to like your coworkers is a big part of being an employee. If you actually do like them, consider it a bonus*
Old 08-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
Oh yes, pretending to like your coworkers is a big part of being an employee. If you actually do like them, consider it a bonus
ROFL ,,,, I can relate to that, some of my past fellow employees were intolerable at work and sober, I knew I wouldn't ,couldn't stand them after they had a drink or two so I used to opt out, every time I gave in and joined in I regreted it to some degree.
Not that every one of them was jerk when drinking just enough to make an evening unpleasant. I had to put a good face on things not to hurt the ones I got along with.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879
I spend no more than two dollars on lunch for work. His "free lunch" cost $6 or more with parking and gas. He didn't have to agree to drive. He paid $6 or more and everyone else paid nothing... that's cheap.
Well, yeah if you only look at that 'single' event. There were probably other times, when he rode with someone else, and they paid for parking.

Anyway you cut it, paying $6 for a $30 lunch is cheaper than dirt! - Complaining about it is being miserly and should no way be admired and or confused with LBYM! Figuring out that no one else paid nothing is 'extra cheap'!