Are you retired?

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
Are you retired?

How old are you when you retire?

When do you want to retire?

I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

enuff

Last edited:
I'm not sure when I really began to think about retirement, but unusual for the people here at ER forum, it was some time after I stopped working. In my 20's, however, I first began thinking about financial independence, and by my early 30's that was a critical goal. Even back then I understood I would not make it to "retirement age" in the corporate world.

I stopped participating in 'gainful employment' aged 46, (I turn 73 this September....if I make it ;)); can't say I'm 'retired', since I never worked long enough to retire 'from' anything.

Yes, 56, 55. Delayed a year in part due to recession and wanted to get down to only one home before retiring.

Last edited:
Yes. Retired at 61, had planned to work till 65 but the politics got ugly and I decided I'd had enough.

Retired age 53

Currently in 79th year

Wasn't by plan, but temporary circumstances "health"... but took a chance and never went back.

Yes, I'm retired as of today.

I'm age 57.

I originally planned to retire at 54, but worked three more years as wife got a new job and needed to work there three years to vest.

Not retired, plan to leave my employer at 53. Recently planned on 55 because of a retirement healthcare benefit at megacorp. We got sold off so that went away and I moved up the date.

Only FI was a goal when I was younger, not RE. I didn't actually plan to retire early, just to have the freedom to do whatever I wanted without money being an issue. Not sure I'll ever completely retire but we'll see.

Retired almost 2 years now.

50 the 08 recession gave me reason for 5 OMYs.

Yes.

32. For whatever reason, this was the age that it suddenly dawned on me that I did not want to work into old age. This was the start of my "ten year plan". It worked. :)

Last edited:
Yes
I never thought about it. I was all about FI but just sort of assumed that I would always work because I could not imagine not working. In the summer when I was 66 I was asked what my plans were. I said retire one of these days maybe when I am 70 (DW is a lot younger). By October it was next Spring and by December it was NOW.

Are you retired?

Yes, I retired 5 years ago.

How old (we)re you when you retire(d)?

When d(id) you want to retire?

Are you retired?

I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

enuff

I am retired.

I retired in late 2008 at age 45.

When ER first became a viable option, I thought I would be able to do it in my early 50s. But things fell into place rapidly in the last decade so I was able to ER at 45.

Yes, I'm retired. I'd planned for us to retire at 55 (me) and 57 (DH), in late 2010 or 2011.

We both got unexpectedly ejected in 2008--2 years early--and we weren't ready to stop working altogether, so we kept looking for new work, mainly because it was 2008-09 and it was a scary time to CHOOSE to be out of work.

By 2013, I told DH that we had made it that far OK and we were going to be officially retired from that time on.

If that "accidental retirement" hadn't occurred, I have no doubt he'd still be working.

Not me, though. :)

Last edited:
Are you retired?

Yes

Started thinking about it in a vague way when I was about 48 or so - I remember talking to my Fidelity Rep and telling him that the reason I was 100% in equities at the time was because I needed a big run up in the market if I was to meet my goal of retiring at 55. I was half-kidding but it seems to have worked out.

Yes

56 as soon as I was able to retire with a full pension.

Back
Top Bottom