Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not retired yet... in about 4 years. We will not work again after that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired a year ago and haven't worked one day since then. I'm having too good of a time to consider replacing my freedom with anything that resembles making a living (or making a dying as Joe Dominguez so eloquently stated in "Your Life or your Money"). If I enjoyed work, why would I have retired?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #43

I rarely say never- but -- NEVER! I have property and assets to sell long before I would be in such dire straights and considering w*rk.
I can't stand any type of encumbrance concerning my free time now. Having to fly to 2-3 cities every week doing BS for megacorp like I used to sounds like torture!!! I thought it was great ... once
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
After being retired for six glorious years, if there was a financial disaster I would move to a trailer in the hills of West Virginia and eat dog food before going back to work.
I already live in the hills of West Virginia (it really is a beautiful state), I guess I could move from my house to a trailer and eat cat food (although the cat food I buy is approximately $31.00 per bag) instead of returning to work!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #45

If it feels like 'w*rk' then it has no place in ER. If it is something fun and engaging, whether it is paid or unpaid, then I like to call it semi-retirement and think it's great. Oops, gotta go. -- model just arrived for a few hours of sculpting 'work'. You can see a few of the pieces I did with her here -- now I ask you, does that look like work?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #46

Fabulous, Bob..! I'm in awe!

Be well,

Akaisha
Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Bob, those pieces are beautiful. I admire your talent!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:19 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
Oops, gotta go. -- model just arrived for a few hours of sculpting 'work'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Fabulous, Bob..! I'm in awe!
Yeah, and nice sculptures, too!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:10 AM   #49

ERed six years ago. I don't plan to work again. I do some light volunteer work now only because I can set my own hours and effort and I enjoy the email interactions.
But I went to a retirement party last week for a guy in my old office. It reminded me of how much healthier and happier I am now than I used to be when I was working, and how tired and overweight most of those still-working people appear to be. I just didn't have the time or energy to exercise enough when I was working a stressful desk job.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Never say never, I guess. Just took a j*b after just over 3 months of "ER". Wasn't looking for w*rk, but this one found me and I essentially named my own price. Believe me, it's quite a shock to the system going back to a j*b. At the moment, I'm just taking it a day at a time and trying to convince myself that it is only temporary until I become "tiredofw*rk" again.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Never say never, I guess. Just took a j*b after just over 3 months of "ER". Wasn't looking for w*rk, but this one found me and I essentially named my own price. Believe me, it's quite a shock to the system going back to a j*b. At the moment, I'm just taking it a day at a time and trying to convince myself that it is only temporary until I become "tiredofw*rk" again.
Maybe Clyatt's book Work Less, Live More would be more your style of Retirement...? Hey, there's nothing wrong with a little of both!

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep

Did that for a year in the 90's after being out for about two years. Back then I WAS UNEMPLOYED(BUT SECRETLY ENJOYED THE HECK OUT OF IT) - never heard of the term ER back then. Aerospace temp slang was called: jobshopper. Don't know what it's called in other occupations. The $ really helped - stayed cheap and socked away excess into dividend stocks and tax deferred - the start of my infamous two file cabinets of DRIP stocks and a 401k(Fidelity) that I finally rolled in 2006 into Target Retirement(Vanguard).

Hit one right - it can cast a long shadow - still reaping the benefits today.

Heh heh heh - Mr Market was a nice guy in the 90's.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired at 51 and am now 57. Let me be blunt--I'll kill myself before I go back to work, and will let the wife have the insurance money. Sorry, but that's the way I feel!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #54

After being retired for a number of months I can't imagine going back to work. I was a nervous Nelly about not working and now I feel the same way about working.

Many of my friends that are still working can't understand what I'm thinking about not wanting to work. I now feel strongly that working is something you do to get enough money so you don't have to work. (period) There is no other reason to work IMHO.

When I first retired I was thinking about doing something part time. At this point I don't want to give up any of my time even if I have nothing to do. Doing nothing is 1000 X better than working.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

It took me 4 years to get to "retired for good", but I am there now. In fact it was 4 years ago July 1, that I "retired". I was "on-call the first year & a half. Then I resigned even that status, since I had not opted to w*rk any hours for the preceding 9 months. I had kept my RN license active, but for the current re-licensure, I have changed my status to "inactive". I have no intentions of ever reactivating my nursing license, God willing & the creek doesn't rise.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #56

Not only never going back to w*rk, but don't even want to go back to visit where I FIRE'd from. I got a phone call today and they said my 'retirement watch' is in and I can come down and pick it up.

I told them months ago (quite bluntly) that I didn't want a watch (or anything else). So I told the lady today that if I could fit it into my schedule someday in the next year or two, that I'd 'try' to get there. They better not hold their breath, and I hope they kept their receipt!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Not only never going back to w*rk, but don't even want to go back to visit where I FIRE'd from. I got a phone call today and they said my 'retirement watch' is in and I can come down and pick it up.

I told them months ago (quite bluntly) that I didn't want a watch (or anything else). So I told the lady today that if I could fit it into my schedule someday in the next year or two, that I'd 'try' to get there. They better not hold their breath, and I hope they kept their receipt!!!
Ask her to mail it to you! You might like it once you have seen it. Besides, it's free...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Ask her to mail it to you! You might like it once you have seen it. Besides, it's free...

I'd give it a "just maybe". I'm and avid vintage wristwatch collector. Some of my best buys from antique fairs/flea markets are Retirement watches from the 40's thru 60's, when quality was still good in the mechanical watch era, before 2 dollar quartz movements ruined for me (with the exception of very high-end top dollar stuff that's too rich for my blood) My current main daily wearable is a nice American made gold-filled wind-up inscribed to some fellow's name with 23 years of service to his company. I'll bet his Kids couldn't wait to dump it. I paid $40, and it's perfect. Ah the mementos of the past.

But I digress. If it's mechanical, either windup or selfwinding, i.e. no silly battery, send it my way, PLEASE