Are you retired for good?

Never say never, I guess. Just took a j*b after just over 3 months of "ER". Wasn't looking for w*rk, but this one found me and I essentially named my own price. Believe me, it's quite a shock to the system going back to a j*b. At the moment, I'm just taking it a day at a time and trying to convince myself that it is only temporary until I become "tiredofw*rk" again.

Maybe Clyatt's book Work Less, Live More would be more your style of Retirement...? Hey, there's nothing wrong with a little of both!

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Yep

Did that for a year in the 90's after being out for about two years. Back then I WAS UNEMPLOYED(BUT SECRETLY ENJOYED THE HECK OUT OF IT) - never heard of the term ER back then. Aerospace temp slang was called: jobshopper. Don't know what it's called in other occupations. The $ really helped - stayed cheap and socked away excess into dividend stocks and tax deferred - the start of my infamous two file cabinets of DRIP stocks and a 401k(Fidelity) that I finally rolled in 2006 into Target Retirement(Vanguard).

Hit one right - it can cast a long shadow - still reaping the benefits today.

Heh heh heh - Mr Market was a nice guy in the 90's.

Retired at 51 and am now 57. Let me be blunt--I'll kill myself before I go back to work, and will let the wife have the insurance money. Sorry, but that's the way I feel!

After being retired for a number of months I can't imagine going back to work. I was a nervous Nelly about not working and now I feel the same way about working.

Many of my friends that are still working can't understand what I'm thinking about not wanting to work. I now feel strongly that working is something you do to get enough money so you don't have to work. (period) There is no other reason to work IMHO.

When I first retired I was thinking about doing something part time. At this point I don't want to give up any of my time even if I have nothing to do. Doing nothing is 1000 X better than working.

It took me 4 years to get to "retired for good", but I am there now. In fact it was 4 years ago July 1, that I "retired". I was "on-call the first year & a half. Then I resigned even that status, since I had not opted to w*rk any hours for the preceding 9 months. I had kept my RN license active, but for the current re-licensure, I have changed my status to "inactive". I have no intentions of ever reactivating my nursing license, God willing & the creek doesn't rise.

Not only never going back to w*rk, but don't even want to go back to visit where I FIRE'd from. I got a phone call today and they said my 'retirement watch' is in and I can come down and pick it up.

I told them months ago (quite bluntly) that I didn't want a watch (or anything else). So I told the lady today that if I could fit it into my schedule someday in the next year or two, that I'd 'try' to get there. They better not hold their breath, and I hope they kept their receipt!!! :D

Not only never going back to w*rk, but don't even want to go back to visit where I FIRE'd from. I got a phone call today and they said my 'retirement watch' is in and I can come down and pick it up.

I told them months ago (quite bluntly) that I didn't want a watch (or anything else). So I told the lady today that if I could fit it into my schedule someday in the next year or two, that I'd 'try' to get there. They better not hold their breath, and I hope they kept their receipt!!! :D
Ask her to mail it to you! You might like it once you have seen it. Besides, it's free... :cool:

Ask her to mail it to you! You might like it once you have seen it. Besides, it's free... :cool:

I'd give it a "just maybe". I'm and avid vintage wristwatch collector. Some of my best buys from antique fairs/flea markets are Retirement watches from the 40's thru 60's, when quality was still good in the mechanical watch era, before 2 dollar quartz movements ruined for me (with the exception of very high-end top dollar stuff that's too rich for my blood) My current main daily wearable is a nice American made gold-filled wind-up inscribed to some fellow's name with 23 years of service to his company. I'll bet his Kids couldn't wait to dump it. I paid $40, and it's perfect. Ah the mementos of the past.

But I digress. If it's mechanical, either windup or selfwinding, i.e. no silly battery, send it my way, PLEASE;):cool:

tinyV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom