Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=bssc;1063945]Tucson and Phoenix get water from different sources so they have different plans. Flagstaff though, probably has the most issues. Phoenix, on the other hand, is trying to plan for a 100 years supply[/QUOTE

I fully understand that Phoenix and Tucson acquire their water from different sources. However, it appears there is a higher percentage of houses in Phoenix maintaining green grass. In Tucson that is an extreme rarity. There is the appearance that Phoenix residents have less concern regarding water conservation - which is strange when you live in a desert community.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
$20k/month House is listed for $3.4million but no takers at that price.
at 5% APR a 30 year mortgage of $3.4M comes in at ~$18.25k/month.

property taxes, insurance and maintenance are extra though.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #23

[QUOTE=packrat44;1064032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Tucson and Phoenix get water from different sources so they have different plans. Flagstaff though, probably has the most issues. Phoenix, on the other hand, is trying to plan for a 100 years supply[/QUOTE

I fully understand that Phoenix and Tucson acquire their water from different sources. However, it appears there is a higher percentage of houses in Phoenix maintaining green grass. In Tucson that is an extreme rarity. There is the appearance that Phoenix residents have less concern regarding water conservation - which is strange when you live in a desert community.
Yup -I've lived in Phx (Tempe) and Tucson - was in Tucson when they changed from aquifer (sp?) to CAP water - YUCK! Yes, Phx is obsesses with midwest-like green lawns and 'water features" - huh? In the desert? Tucson tends to minimize that - I had even in my little house a desert landscape - indigenous plants and rock....and weeds ;-)

Water is a big issue - not just in AZ but all over the southwest and CA-and energy - there was a large renegotiation over energy from the Hoover damn whichis shared between four states...most of the energy flows towards SCAL, but the other states wanted more of their fair share.

I love AZ - grew up there and hope to end up there - however, I would not grow green grass, would plaster the house with solar and work on minimizing water usage. Actually, if you go into old adobe house, you see how good design using the benefits of the local environment can significantly reduce your energy usage while allowing you to be quite comfortable. Moreover, if you change your habits wrt when you are active outside, it makes a difference. Early morning and evenings are beautiful being out - midday is time for hibernating inside or in the shade.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

I bought a second-home foreclosure in Scottsdale in late 2009 at 45% of the 2007 selling price. Thougfht I got a good deal then, and I think prices have fallen even more. Don't count on renting when you are not there - too many homes for rent, not enough renters. This was my first shot at a second home. Purchase price was attractive, but didn't fully anticipate the cost of decorating, furnishing and maintenance. Still happy with the decision, but it does cost more than I thought. I was also intent on having my own pool. Turns out that without a pool heater the water is too cold to swim in except for the months that are too hot to be there anyway. Pool heaters are expensive to buy and operate.

Just some food for thought.

PS Carefree and Cave Creek are great places to look at homes.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Phoenix: Valley of the Sun". More like "surface of the sun..."

If you buy a house for, say, $1M, because that's what the market is, is it really "half-price"?

I think water is going to be an issue in lots of the southwest.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
... was in Tucson when they changed from aquifer (sp?) to CAP water - YUCK!
Why, I thought most engineers would be a big fan of toilet-to-tap...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #27

@Pegcar Interesting about the pool temprature. I did notice that when we were there. If we use the pool heater when we are there it will cost us about $100/day. I think the water is cold because it gets cool at night?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #28

Quote:
@Pegcar Interesting about the pool temprature. I did notice that when we were there. If we use the pool heater when we are there it will cost us about $100/day. I think the water is cold because it gets cool at night?
Yes, no cloud cover (insulation) allows heat from desert floor to radiate out to sky, thereby making the evenings and nights usually cool (except during monsoon time).

If you put a plastic cover (dark or possibly bubble wrap-like for air insulating properties) on the pool at night or partially during the day to keep the heat in, it might work to keep the pool warmer in the winter - HOWEVER - I used to swim competitively and practiced early (0530) in the morning - one morning in the AZ winter we had practice in a pool that did not have a heater - the water temp was 65 - I did not warm up at all during the hour workout - will never forget how cold it was to me - usually we liked the water a bit cool when we started as our bodies warmed up and warmed up the water over the practice time (so much so that in the summer I could see steam coming off of me and the pool and I was so thirsty at times I begged my coach to hop out and drink a lot of water) - not that morning!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
at 5% APR a 30 year mortgage of $3.4M comes in at ~$18.25k/month.

property taxes, insurance and maintenance are extra though.
I don't think he would get anywhere near his asking price. Furthermore, he would only get that rent for 6-8months of the year.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #30

@HFWR. Agree with your point re half price. I said "it seemed like half price" and I was referring to prices in Canada.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
.... The more places you have the less use each place gets and we would still want to travel to other places ...
Properties are investments but not too easy to liquidate.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you like that "dry heat" and the neanderthal political bent it's a great place.

I just don't get it.