Join Early Retirement Today

Arriving In Chiang Mai
Old 12-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Arriving In Chiang Mai

Well, the train arrived at 12:30PM and the sun was rather hot. As soon as I left the station, I got swamped by the tuk tuk drivers each thinking he will convince me to go with him and his recommended (yeh) hotel or merchant. Being frugal (even in Thailand) and wanting to figure out where I was going and how to get there, I just smiled at them and showed my two fingers walking, so one by one, they left me alone. Not to worry, they had plenty of suckers customers to taxi.
I determined the hotel the Kaderli's were staying at was about 2km (1.2 m). Since I was loaded down with 25 lbs of luggage, I decided take one of the cheap songtaews (pickup truck taxis) for what I thought would be 10 baht (Lonely Planet 25c). One stopped and wanted 20b, I said 10b. He wasn't interested. Well, he wasn't getting "rich" with my 10b (25c). With my daypack and carry-on over my shoulder, I merrily took my afternoon exercise walk through my temporary new home CM, thoroughly enjoying my walk. The walk felt longer than I thought so I later recheck the map, and it turned out to be more like 4km (2.4m), oh well. I finally get to the ancient gated wall of the old city. I made a left and started looking for signs for the Top North guesthouse. I pass by this attractive woman who looked familiar. I turned around and softly called out '"Akisha" no response, maybe I mispronounced her name, so one more time "Akaisha", still no response. I guess I was wrong, certainly looked like her. I found the hotel and got registered. At $7.50, not as cheap as I wanted but Billy and Akaisha were there so I figured it would be a good starting point. I wanted to explore my surroundings so I walked out of the hotel and passed the same woman, so one more time a called out the name twice, she finally turned around and said "Maurice?" Although strangers, we were happy to greet each other. Glad Billy wasn't there to see the enthusiasm . When I told her I called her the 1st time after she passed me, she thought I looked a bit strange carrying what appeared to be a large boombox over my right shoulder. We all got together later for the famous Kaderli Happy Hour. We had some great conversations. It was a thoroughly enjoyable 1st day in CM.

MJ
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Arriving In Chiang Mai
Old 12-05-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So how do you pronouce Akaisha?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
a sounds like a in car
kai sounds like ka in Kate.
sh sounds like sh in show
a same is the 1st a
Old 12-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of these day I will make the pilgramage to meet the two Buddhas - Akaisha and Billy.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

MJ:
Quote:
I pass by this attractive woman who looked familiar. I turned around and softly called out '"Akisha" no response, maybe I mispronounced her name, so one more time "Akaisha", still no response.* I guess I was wrong, certainly looked like her.
So I'm walking down Moon Muang Road this brilliantly sunny afternoon going to my regular shop to buy my daily supply of freshly cut fruit. 2 bags of it - 25cents each bag.*

High Season is just beginning, so I am noticing a lot more Farangs on the street. Actually, they are everywhere. A man is coming towards me - studly, well built, with that distinctive "New Yorker" looking edge to him - carrying what looks to be a boombox on his shoulder...* I'm a married woman, so I don't turn around to sneak another peak, and go on my way. But this man... there is something about him...

MJ:
Quote:
...so I walked out of the hotel and passed the same woman, so one more time a called out the name twice, she finally turned around and said "Maurice?" Although strangers, we were happy to greet each other. Glad Billy wasn't there to see the enthusiasm** .
Shaking his handsome image from my mind, I buy my fruit and return home to our Guest House. Walking down this tiny winding soi, I think I hear someone behind me say my name.

"Can't be." I say to myself. Although we know Expats here, most of the folks we know are Thai, and this didn't sound like a Thai. Thais cannot pronounce my name, so with them I respond to anything that sounds like a sneeze: "ka-SHUH!"* And this didn't sound like a sneeze, so... I didn't respond.

But then I hear it again and, turning around, it's this studly, handsome-with-an-edge guy! Blushing, I say sweetly: "Maurice?"

MJ:
Quote:
We all got together later for the famous Kaderli Happy Hour. We had some great conversations.
I know Maurice claims he prefers fresh juices to beer, but it didn't take long for a response when we offered a beer to him at Happy Hour!* * And converse we did!*

Martha:
Quote:
It's pronounced "uh-KAY-shuh"*

dex:
Quote:
One of these day I will make the pilgramage to meet the two Buddhas - Akaisha and Billy.
Would love to meet you! One Happy Hour 'requirement' is lively, informative conversation...* 8) I assume that will be no problem for you, eh?*

uh-KAY-shuh
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 12-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
But then I hear it again and, turning around, it's this studly, handsome-with-an-edge guy! Blushing, I say sweetly: "Maurice?"
I'm glad that our stories concur, although I'm not sure about the studly look.

Quote:
I know Maurice claims he prefers fresh juices to beer, but it didn't take long for a response when we offered a beer to him at Happy Hour! And converse we did!
Now, I know that you and Billy were trying to get me "relaxed" so I would happily devulge where I buried my millions, but Akaisha, the three of us did sign a pact to keep our Happy Hour conversations private, right? 8)
Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

missed out on meeting MJ here in BKK this time around - but there will be future chances for sure!
Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:12 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

MJ:
Quote:
I'm glad that our stories concur, although I'm not sure about the studly look.
(MJ, don't you remember that money you gave me to say you were studly?* did you mean 'dudly?' shoot...)*

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com*
Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
MJ:
(MJ, don't you remember that money you gave me to say you were studly? did you mean 'dudly?' shoot...)
Akaisha
I thought the money I gave you was for that "other" thing we discussed during "Happy" Hour.

MJ (Doudley Fait-Droite)