Article - 10 things that surprised me about early retirement

Thanks for the share.

I would add: the ability to save some serious cash. By having the time to really comparison shop, hit senior day sales, and eat at restaurants during lunch and early bird specials, you can save a ton of $. Another plus is being able to schedule your running around to avoid driving during rush hour.

I agree with many of his observations, but I can't say I've experienced all 10, and it is a good insight on what sounds like a successful retirement. However, the author just retired last Fall, so he may not have reached a new normal yet.

Last edited:
At best maybe half of his 10 points apply to me. Not that I disagree with all the other half, maybe some of them. Some of the author's 10 items began happening to me when I simply reduced my weekly hours work, as in semi-retired.

I can completely relate to his post! I've also only been retired since last fall and have experienced many of the pleasant surprises he talks about. We'll see how things evolve, but so far, even better than I expected!

I agree with many of his observations, but I can't say I've experienced all 10, and it is a good insight on what sounds like a successful retirement. However, the author just retired last Fall, so he may not have reached a new normal yet.

Agreed. His "no longer dreading Mondays" tells me that he's still measuring things within a work context. Similar to "every day feels like Saturday" comments.

To me, you are fully, mentally retired when each day is just another day in your life, not measured against something related to work.

I know it's just me, but I found his "dressing down" point disappointing though. I think it's a slippery slope between casual dressing and slowly becoming a slob. Yes, after 12 years I still wear a suit for funerals and weddings and yes, I often shlub around in my sweats early in the morning. But generally I dress like I'm headed to the golf club even when I'm only going to Costco.

But that's just me.

Just about 10 for 10 here as well, great article that many of us can relate to.

The article describes me very well, except I was a morning person before I retired. But now I start playing at about the same time I used to start working.

I agree with some/many of his points, less so with others. Most though, I agree with his comment on never seeing himself going back to work. If my stack doesn't hold up, I'll be in deep trouble. :D

Here are the 10 things that surprised the author about early retirement:

1. Mondays become the best day of the week.
2. My colleagues can't accept that I'm retired.
3. I'm busier than ever.
4. I'm in the best physical shape of my life.
5. I've gotten very comfortable wearing casual clothes.
6. My family relationships are much better.
7. I'm learning and growing more than ever.
8. I can't go back to work anymore.
9. The stress is gone.
10. I've turned into a morning person.

Most of them are absolutely correct in my case and I have to give this guy a pat on the back for actually knowing what he is writing about. In my case there are only a few exceptions:

Number 2 is an exception because I haven't maintained any contact with my colleagues. I would assume that would be the case, though, if I contacted any of them.

Number 4 was true until I hit age 67 and I have experience considerable decline since that age.

Number 6 would be true if any of my family lived around here and if so many of them weren't dead already.

Number 10 is interesting. All my life I thought I was a morning person, but until I retired, between work and school I never had the option of determining my sleep schedule. Now that I can, I find that I am actually a night person after all. Who knew? :LOL:

Agreed. His "no longer dreading Mondays" tells me that he's still measuring things within a work context. Similar to "every day feels like Saturday" comments.

To me, you are fully, mentally retired when each day is just another day in your life, not measured against something related to work.

Well, to be fair, I also keep track of the days. Primary to remember when to put the garbage out and also to know when to NOT run errands. I agree with the author that Mondays are quite wonderful and going into year 3 of retirement, I would be highly disappointed if I couldn't revel in the "AH!! IT'S MONDAY!!!" celebration. So, for me, Monday isn't related to w*rk in the least.

I know it's just me, but I found his "dressing down" point disappointing though. I think it's a slippery slope between casual dressing and slowly becoming a slob. Yes, after 12 years I still wear a suit for funerals and weddings and yes, I often shlub around in my sweats early in the morning. But generally I dress like I'm headed to the golf club even when I'm only going to Costco.

But that's just me.

Meh. If I can't wear flip flops and shorts, then I am not going to whatever event it is. However, my shorts and t-shirt are in good repair and clean, so I don't *think* I look like a slob. But, if I do..that's OK as some would call it "stealth wealth". :D

Here are the 10 things that surprised the author about early retirement:

1. Mondays become the best day of the week.
2. My colleagues can't accept that I'm retired.
3. I'm busier than ever.
4. I'm in the best physical shape of my life.
5. I've gotten very comfortable wearing casual clothes.
6. My family relationships are much better.
7. I'm learning and growing more than ever.
8. I can't go back to work anymore.
9. The stress is gone.
10. I've turned into a morning person.

I agree with almost all the points. #4, not quite but close. My younger years in the military was my most "fit" time. #10...sort of. I still don't get up very early, but I do get up earlier than I thought I would. I don't know the last time I set an alarm!

I do like the list, however. It seems like most of the ER articles I have read lately have been along the lines of "Why ER SUCKS!!!" and I haven't been able to agree on almost anything they have written.

Last edited:
I didn't turn into a morning person, although since we added our little dog to the family I've become one (he rarely sleeps past 7:20 so we go for our morning walk then). The rest all sound pretty familiar, except #3. I wouldn't say I'm busier than ever, but I do have many more things on my to-do list that don't get done than I expected.

I have not worn a suit since my last funeral. But I always get dressed when I go out except to garden et al. Lots of the points are pretty personal. After retiring from 3 companies, I got pretty good at it.

Thanks for listing the 10 points since I did not want to turn off my adblocker either. I enjoy being able to stay up later if I feel like it and not worrying about how I will feel in the am. My 4 doggies make me get up between 7-8. I love being in stores while people are at work. I am not in the best physical shape of my life unfortunately. But better then the few years before I retired.

I could not be bothered to turn off my ad-blocker. But I clicked on the link and immediately after the article came up on the screen I copied it and pasted it into a Word document -- within the three seconds or so before it was blocked by the "we see you are using an ad-blocker" message. So I could read the article without turning off the ad blocker.

I liked the article. When I read stuff like that, especially from a guy with a high stress job and a dislike of Mondays -- two conditions that afflict me -- it makes me even more looking forward to my ER. (One of these days -- as soon as I can get past whatever mental block stops me from taking the leap).

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

I can relate to the early morning routine, but lately I've found myself needing to get up early so that I can get to the swimming pool and swim laps before all the spring break travelers crowd the pool. So it seems I've replaced getting up early to go to work with getting up early to go to the pool. Swimming is better than working, but it's still a schedule!

I hate articles that require you to turn off ad blocker. Won't do it.
I have found this works in every case I have tried so far, I just disable the ad blocker, go to the article, and immediately turn the ad blocker back on, and can read the article, and often other articles on the site without them asking me again to turn off the ad blocker.

I think the author must be have my home, car and places I hang out bugged and is recording my life. I have to agree with most of what he said.

I will add one thing of my own. As a former teacher, I no longer cringe and get that nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see the "Back to School Sale" signs go up in late July. Instead I get a feeling of glorious relief and calm as I look forward to travel and adventure in September.

But that's just me.

I agree that the dressing down can be carried to extremes. I have no problem with people avoiding the suit and tie uniform of work, or even having to wear sporty, preppy like clothing at a friendly Saturday BBQ. OTOH, when I go out to a fancy restaurant or the symphony I don't really want or expect to see people who look like they just came from the gym or from a day of grueling yard work in the hot sun.

...As a former teacher, I no longer cringe and get that nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see the "Back to School Sale" signs go up in late July. Instead I get a feeling of glorious relief and calm as I look forward to travel and adventure in September.

You know, for a long time, I thought being a teacher would have been a great career...mainly for the nice summer break. In retrospect, I am *very* glad I didn't do that because when I was w*rking, I tried to limit my days off to no more than 10 in a row. Otherwise, going back to the salt mines was just SO DAMN PAINFUL. I imagine the 2 months off would make that exponentially worse. But hey, that's OK. Now when you see the signs you know that the kiddos will soon be in school and doing errands will be much more peaceful without all the Moms and Dads dragging the kids around with them. :D

Oh yeah, so I mentioned earlier than I tend to get up earlier now than when I was w*rking. Well, today was an exception. I stayed up until 4 AM reading a good book and didn't get up until 11 AM...and it was GLORIOUS! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom